News:

• May 09, 2024, 07:53:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: V-Tail linkage  (Read 973 times)

Offline John Castle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • The Bent Pin
V-Tail linkage
« on: July 21, 2009, 11:38:43 AM »
I'm thinking of doing a simple sheet 1/2a model that will have a V tail. I got to thinking about the elevator linkage and it has me a little perplexed. What is the easiest way to it or do you usually just hook up one of the elevators.  ???  I hate to re-invent the wheel.

John
John Castle
McMinnville, Oregon 
AMA# 589650

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
Re: V-Tail linkage
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 02:04:41 PM »
John,
One elevator will work but not very well. The single "V" configuration works both as an elevator and a rudder. In other words, besides making the plane climb and dive, it also wants to yaw the plane which may want to make a C/L plane slacken the lines at times.
This is what I would do.
If you are using a nylon 1/2 A bellcrank & horn system like those made by Goldberg, the bellcrank and horn have two push rod holes. Attach a horn to each elevator and use two push rods, one coming from each horn and terminating in each of the holes in the bellcrank. In order to balance the throws, connect the push rod from the bellcrank inside hole to the inside hole on the one elevator horn. Connect the other elevator pushrod to the outer hole in the horn and to the outer hole in the bellcrank.
You can dream up variations to this scheme but two fully articulated push rods are needed to make the system free from binding.
Have fun!
Orv.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
I built a Stealth fighter that had severely swept-forward elevators--I soldered a horiz. "tee" wire on the end of the pushrod, maybe 2" long (1" ea. side of course); then put each end through its respective elevator horn.  Leave plenty of length on the "tee" for the horns to slide up and down it as the elevators move.  It worked well but you have to trust your soldering skills. Also needs a guide to keep the pushrod centered. And you may need to do some carving on surrounding structure to clear the "tee". Sounds more complicated than it is.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 08:27:18 AM »
If you are doing nothing but sport flying, the inboard elevator is all that needs to be hinged.  As stated it will act like a rudder when given full up or down.  Otherwise if you want both to move make a short rod that will go thru the fuse in a slot and joined to the main pushrod.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 04:43:52 PM »
The most "elegant" method would be to use "Lucky Boxes".  However, your tail surfaces should probably be at least 3/16" to 1/4" thick to do that.   That is where there is a single horn with the bent ends operating freely in "boxes" inside each elevator.  Some care and planning need to be excercised so that the horn hinge line is in the correct position relative to the two elevators.  Also, if a profile fuselage is used, the resulting installation might not look too neat.

If you want both elevators to operate, the next best solution would be to use separate horns on each elevator and then run separate pushrods to each horn from the single takeoff from the bellcrank.  There will be some "flex" between on elevator to the other, but unless this is to be used as a fairly serious stunt ship, the flex will be of little consequence.

The overall simplest way to do this is just to use one elevator.  If this is just to be a sport flier and basically flying straight and level and making only minor corrections for landing, the single elevator idea will work just fine.  However, if you try to do more than just maintain level flight, the single elevator on that V-tail will result in some undesirable coupled yaw and roll tendencies.  If the elevator control is only on the right elevator, up control will tend to roll the airplane to the right (OK for counter clockwise flight) and will yaw the nose to the left (not so good for counter clockwise flight); while down elevator would result in the opposite roll and yaw.  If the elevator control is only on the left elevator, up elevator will result in a roll force to the left (not so good for clockwise flight) and a yaw force to the right (better for line tension): while down elevator would result in the opposite roll and yaw.  Again, if planned control input is minor, these roll and yaw forces will be negligible.  If, on the other hand you contemplate some form of wingovers or loops or figure eights, these forces will tend to create some unfavorable albeit "interesting" control responses.

Neat idea with a neat looking airplane that has received little attention in the model world.

Keith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here