News:

• May 08, 2024, 09:22:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Use for Depron?  (Read 1830 times)

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • owner
Use for Depron?
« on: January 07, 2014, 04:03:45 PM »
I've built large R/C planes from Monsanto "Fome-cor"  1/8" board.  Now, in a weak moment, I've bought a bunch of "Depron" sheets in 3mm and 2 mm thickness.

Now, I'm trying to think of something to use it for!  Maybe a small electric C/L stunter.

It would be better to start with a proven design.  Does anyone know of plans for a stunter using Depron?

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
Re: Use for Depron?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 09:12:20 AM »
Igor Burger's GeeBee R3 is a proven indoor electric. There's plans build threads for it in CAD and Electric forums.

If you want something else... Adjust a plan to use your foam instead of 1.5mm (1/16") balsa.
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 06:16:08 PM »
I use Depron to make great free flight models.

Orv.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 06:34:24 PM »
  Cox sold a 1/2 stunter with a foam wing that was formed by folding it back on itself, sort of. It was molded into an airfoil shape, with a crease at the leading edge, then you folded the wing at the crease, and taped the trailing edge. The wings then plugged onto a proper shaped stub at the fuselage and was held in place with clear tape. They had a Chipmunk and a ME-109, They sold replacement wing panels, and they came with a plan for a profile Focke-Wolfe 190 that used that wing. Larry Renger had something to do with the whole deal. If you can find a set of those wings, the plans can be useful for scratch built wings. The foam Cox used reminds me a lot of the Depron, but may not be as thick. I would think the 2mm stuff could be worked and formed into a successful hollow stunt wing for small models. If you can't find any of the Cox plans, let me know and I can dig one up.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 08:45:05 AM »
Guilty as charged. The Me-109 and Chipmunk were, indeed, my babies. However, I recieved a great amount of advice from long time stunt champ Charles Mackey that helped tune it in for great stunt performance. The model would do every maneuver in the current stunt pattern right out of the box. I would guess that about 100,000 of the two models were produced, including the redo with solid foam wing in the 90's.

There was also a much smaller Crusader using the same type wing.

The wings were polystyrene foam sheet molded at a local egg carton factory. The heated sheet was clamped between chilled top an bottom mold plates.

When we introduced the Black Widow engine, we had a special consisting of a pair of wings and pland for a FW-190.  I also published th Skyfire model in Flying Models, subsequently kitted by Dick Mathis. He only did 1000 kits, so if you have one it is pretty rare.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 08:55:51 AM »
I still have the Chipmunk ready to fly in the box.  It was given to my by the great Vic Garner of CL racing fame.  It will probably never be flown.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 09:05:19 AM »
My widowed neighbor gave my boys her late husbands Cox Chipmunk, with plastic fuse and foam wing. She had the Cox starter kit and everything was new.  The plane didn't have the box, but had never been fueled.  It was our first CL plane.  Wish we would have listened to a couple guys and put it on the shelf until we knew how to fly.  But we just had to fly it.

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 10:28:37 AM »
There's lots of articles (and such) online about shaping depron - with or without the use of heat. Search terms like จจ molding depron จจ should find plenty.

Getting a really really neat shape in small sizes may be a challenge. Most seem to go for the simplicity of reinforced "flat foamies".
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 11:53:01 AM »
I have built a number of foamies for CL, depron and/or $ store foam. A couple shown in attachements

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 12:30:14 PM »
Some fine engineering on that P38, John.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 04:24:16 PM »
Thanks Mike. The design is basically the same as used by  the RC fraternity.  Both planes shown used Dollar Store board with the paper left on. I fly sturdier designs, but still all foam in the carrier event.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here