News:

• May 13, 2024, 11:11:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Two new Little Bipes  (Read 4140 times)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Two new Little Bipes
« on: June 22, 2014, 09:49:34 AM »
One from the kit, one a copy of the kit with added wingspan. Lighter than kit version which had heavy wings. H^^
Ty Marcucci

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
Re: Two new Little Bipes
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 10:33:59 AM »
One from the kit, one a copy of the kit with added wingspan. Lighter than kit version which had heavy wings. H^^

Nice looking Little Bipes, Ty. Here are my two. One powered by BabeBee, other Spitzy .045.  

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline George

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 11:07:52 AM »
...just enough dope to protect them from fuel... H^^ H^^ 

Isn't that a "traditional" finish?  Two coats of clear (or sealer) lightly sanded between coats. Then a final coat or two of color.

Many a Scientific kit has been painted that way.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Ed Keller

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 01:51:48 PM »
George - That yellow one really turns me on - partly because of the spitzy. Its great to see one of the old engines being used. Does it fly the plane reasonably well?  Ed

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 06:14:43 AM »
I have a PILE of babe bees looking for something stupid to go into. A little bipe might be even more fun than a single channel RC canard.

Maybe, I can build one of each and report back:)

I take it the plans aren't very big given the fact that a babe bee looks like a Pratt & Whitney on the front.

Any chance of some plans?
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline George

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 08:44:20 AM »
George - That yellow one really turns me on - partly because of the spitzy. Its great to see one of the old engines being used. Does it fly the plane reasonably well?  Ed

Actually my wife talked me out of that one to use for decoration so it has never been flown.

I did run the Spitzy before installing it and it ran well. If I ever fly it I will probably shorten the lines to 20'-25' to start. Of course it has nowhere near the power of the Babe Bee, but the wingspan of that Little Bipe is only 12" so it should fly OK.

I have seen advertisements for the Little Bipe as having a 16" wing span also. Did that change?

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline George

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 08:52:25 AM »
Yes, but it was because we were 12 year olds with very little or any adult input and didn't know ay better. You should hve seen my first Barnstomer, circa 1954. Red and it bled red when any fuel got on it. I later bought a tiny jar of Comet Fuel Proofer. Boy did it stink, but no more running paint... Plane lasted two flights, Well one and one 15th flights.  Lots of on the ground engine runs. LOL LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

I tried to use some Comet Fuel Proofer instead of clear dope once back then...not so good!

If I remember correctly both Comet and Testors made colored nitrate back then. I remember using it on those Strombecker (I think) hybrid models that were solid balsa and plastic (for cowls, wing guns, etc.)...pleasant memories!

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline George

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 09:40:31 AM »
I take it the plans aren't very big given the fact that a babe bee looks like a Pratt & Whitney on the front.

Any chance of some plans?

I never had full size plans of the Little Bipe. I scanned an 81/2"x11" drawing that was sent to me by Currell Pattie then expanded it to a full-size side view for the fuselage. The top view of the wings were from the scaled-down drawing showing possible color schemes. I blew it up to the advertised 12" span for the outline. I'll check in my stuff and try to find it.

Outline will depend on the vintage of the plans. My original Little Bipe in the mid fifties had an airfoiled wing and the paint scheme used the checkerboard decal on the top wing. Power was an OK Cub (.049). The one I scaled up was the later version that has a shorter fuselage and 1/8" sheet wings. I think it showed a Babe Bee for power.

Ty, your plane appears to be the earlier version with the airfoil wing.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 12:54:45 PM »

Does anybody has plans that can be posted on this thread? Love to have them.
                                                                                                                     Juan

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 02:29:09 PM »
Hi Ty, and George,

I really like the "Little Bipes"!  Looks like they will be fun to fly and a trip back in time!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 05:48:50 PM »
Hello Ty
                   Thanks for the plans you sent me. In the Little Bipe case the picture doesn`t match the box because there was a change made and Mr. Musciano designed one similar using the same name. I think that the original Little Bipe was designed by Mr.A. Spampani With the drafting by Mr. Musciano. I say this because the design looks like the design for the Original Little Devil which was designed by  Mr.Spampani as it appeared stated inside of the box of the earlier Little Devil. I guess that there was a change at Scientific models and Mr.Spampani was not part of the company any more so they decided to redesign the planes with Mr. Musciano but continued with the box graphics with the original design. Why they did this I have no idea. I can only guess the had already printed a lot of box covers and decided to use them any way. Since I don`t have solid information on this if any body can shine a light on this I would love to hear about it. Thanks again Ty.
                                                                                                                         Juan

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 08:57:48 PM »
Here’re my two new bipes:

Both are versions of the Ferdinand.  The yellow and white one is the original 1959 design, and the red and white one is the 1967 version.  Both powered by Babe Bees with 8cc stunt tanks.

Offline nobler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 11:07:42 AM »
I don't have my Scientific notebook in front of me, but there were three advertised spans for the Little Bipe, over the years: 12, 14, and 16 inches, as I recall. As time went by, the spans got smaller (less balsa cost for Scientific).

If you are building for Musciano Stunt, you could go with the 16" span.  Currell

Currell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here