News:

• May 09, 2024, 01:28:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Twin Mustang build.  (Read 1042 times)

Jim Roselle

• Trade Count: (0)
Twin Mustang build.
« on: September 19, 2013, 10:44:38 AM »
My Brodak Twin Mustang kit showed up today from eBay. It's an older die cut kit but the cuts are clean. It is designed around tanked reedies on plastic mounts:

I don't care for tanked engines or the chopped off nose look of the plastic mounts. The plan is to extend the nose for a scale outline and mount product backplate engines on an offset mount like this:

Took a trip to the copy store and blew up a F-82 drawing 300% and got this:

The scale outline is a little off in back:

I'll most likely extend the rudders back to the scale outline so I can add 1/2 inch to the elevator. I don't know if I will add balsa on the bottom for a true scale outline. I'm a little leery of adding tailweight after my last twin experience and I don't know if it will make much visual difference when it's 45-52 feet away from me. The cox plastic spinners match the scale of this model perfectly so that's really cool. Don't know how fast I will get this done as I am taking vacation Oct. 1st and moving Nov. 1st, but that's the basic plan for the build.

Jim

Jim Roselle

Re: Twin Mustang build.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 11:09:34 PM »
Epoxied the first section of leading edge tonight and started cutting wood to modify the fuselage outline. Here's the direction the project is going:

Modified fuse is on the right, stock kit in the center. As I stated in the last post the fuselage front will be added for a proper scale outline. I am also going modify the offset mount idea shown in the last post for a cleaner look, pics will be posted when I get there. The biggest departure from the stock kit I plan on making is mounting the fuselages to the wing. The plan sandwiches the fuse between ribs and the bottom is added after the fact. I am joining the top and bottom of the fuselages and making a wing cut out so the entire fuse can be slid over the wing and epoxied to the center sheeting. The thought of silkspaning, filling, sanding, and painting two fuselages that are already permanently attached to the wing does not appeal to me, hence the change in mounting procedure.
A question I have about the plan is on orientation of the bellcrank:

It's reversed from normal, with the pushrod on the inboard side. Can any one tell me why it's installed this way? More importantly is it ok to mount it in the "normal" orientation? The push rod exits the wing next to the outboard side of the inboard fuse. I will probably move it all the way over next to the outboard fuse to keep as much exhaust/castor from the engine out of the exit hole as possible. I hope all the inboard outboard stuff doesn't read to confusing. ???

Jim
 ???

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
From a flight stand point bell crank location doesn't matter.  Wingtip lead-out location is all that matters.

Do you plan to inter her in 1/a scale?
John Rist
AMA 56277

Jim Roselle

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 11:56:05 AM »
From a flight stand point bell crank location doesn't matter.  Wingtip lead-out location is all that matters.

Do you plan to inter her in 1/a scale?
No, my skills aren't anywhere near what's needed to compete. I also fly over grass from a wing stooge so it won't have a landing gear.  I will be driving down to Tuscon for the 1/2a multi engine meet next month and plan on asking ALOT of questions about scale finishing techniques. I will probably try and get something together gor next years contest.

Jim

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 09:04:53 PM »
If you are going to try to compete in scale with that airplane it will have to be built with dihedral.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Jim Roselle

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 09:24:58 PM »
If you are going to try to compete in scale with that airplane it will have to be built with dihedral.

Pat
Nah, I'm just building a sport stunt plane but I would like it to look a little more like a mustang if I'm going to call it a mustang.

Jim

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 11:48:10 AM »

Pat

Hi Pat,I have been a scale judge at the Nats for the last 2 years and it does'nt have to have the diehedral built in to compete.It will loose a few points in static judging but is still OK to fly.Trax
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here