News:

• May 07, 2024, 03:55:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Twin Build (pic) (more build pics added)  (Read 1294 times)

Offline John Crocker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Twin Build (pic) (more build pics added)
« on: September 13, 2007, 04:50:14 PM »
Wife left on Monday for a cruise with her buddies.  I've got the boys.  Luckily I work out of the home, so it allows me to come and go.  Today was slow, so I worked on 2 of my fav pastimes:

The pastime on the left is there for size comparison and is finished.  The one on the right still has a bunch of work to do, but I need to go to the LHS for some 1/32" sheets and one more 1/2" x 1/4" stick to finish.  40+" winspan.  Power will be 2 AP .061 Wasps.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 07:42:27 PM by John Crocker »

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Twin Build (pic)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 09:06:43 AM »
Looks like it has a lot of potential!  Tell more - size, planned engines, et.al.

Also, what is with that airfoil?  Too much of activity #1?
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 10:55:16 AM »
Engines will be .061 AP wasps.  Going to turn APC 6X2 props.  General Lee Orange Wings with Black everywhere but cockpit, which will be silver.  Got some Fuel Proof Confederate Flag decals for the outboard wing. 

As for the airfoil, threw it together 10 yrs as a "joke" foil for a wind tunnel project in college.  Was testing different designs and measuring lift.  This type provided as much lift as a standard foil and was easier to cut out.  Been using it on planes ever since.

Think the winspan is going to come in around 42".  Have not measured the length of the plane yet, but should be around 25" maybe?  I did not make it to be a stunter, more of a "Damn thats a cool looking plane" flying model.  I've got planes I don't mind destroying, which is inevitable with 1/2A planes for me, so I think I'll just do some loops and a lot of up and down on this one till I get really comfortable with it.

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 03:29:17 PM »
It looks great! I will be watching for progress.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 04:08:05 PM »
There's a whole lot more to that airfoil than meets the eye...no spar at high point, so what cross-section do you suppose the covering assumes between the ribs?  R-i-i-i-g-g-h-h-t, a nicely curved teardrop shape. While the protruding ribs serve as built-in wing fences, probably minimizing tip vortexes (I know, I know, "vortices", just never looks right). I think it's brilliant, and have already cut out a rib template to try it myself.  Don't knock the unorthodox until you've thought it through.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
Re: Twin Build (pic) (more build pics added)
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 07:46:40 PM »
Whoa, Brilliant!?  Man that word and I have not been used in conjunction in, well, ever.

Thanks for the prop MM.  I all honesty, it was just luck that it worked out.  Never tried it on a plane this big, we'll have to see.  Anyway, here's some more pics.  The white and black cylinders are the engine cowls, made from small aspirin bottles.  Their cut to snap on and off with a tight fit, should hold with just a straight pin top an bottom.  Its ready for paint and Monocote.  Now if the LHS will just get the dang engines in!!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 08:39:30 PM »
Very nice...I like the lines.  What does it weigh as it sits?

--Ray

P.S. you might consider blunting that LE some.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 11:13:01 PM »
What are you planning to use for a cover material and finish John?  <=
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 06:16:30 AM »
Wing is to be covered by Orange Monocote.  Rest of surfaces have been coated in thick Sig Sanding sealer and will be painted black.

MM, no idea on the weight, feels right.  Never weighed one before during the build and dont want to jinx it. ;D

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here