News:

• March 19, 2024, 04:22:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tsunami Mini Me  (Read 4847 times)

Offline Tim Stagg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Tsunami Mini Me
« on: February 25, 2019, 05:28:55 PM »
A slightly reduced version of my big Tsunami.

Hopefully this will be competitive for the Brodak 1/2 A stunt  contest

33", 8.5 oz, TD 051  ...we will see

Tim
Tim Stagg

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
Re: Tsunami Mini Me
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 05:54:44 PM »

Tim
Wow that's a cool paint scheme! I like it.  Gonna be a tough crowd to get appearance points I can see! Where is your 6oz tank at lol just kidden.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 07:34:20 PM »
How do you open this?
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 09:04:43 PM »
That is pretty cool!

Thanks for showing it off.

Dave

(Larry, you need something like Foxit to read a pdf. If you have it, then just left click on the blue link.  Unless I totally misunderstood your question...?)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 09:25:35 PM »
 That's really cool Tim! That's the early scheme, are you going to add the race numbers etc.?

As a side note, Keith Sandberg from our Minneapolis Piston Popper C/L club is the late John Sandberg's nephew. As you probably know, John was the visionary and owner of Tsunami. Keith used to spend quite a bit of time helping out around the JRS race shop back in the day, lot's of cool and interesting stories there.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 09:47:51 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline goozgog

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 03:46:34 AM »
Looks great Tim.

Are you going to mount the tank
on the left side of the fuselage?
    I haven't tried it with a 1/2A but
I've had good success with Ringmasters
and FliteStreaks .
  I install short lengths of copper tube
through the fuselage to route the fuel
lines neatly.

Hope I make it to BrodaK's too.

Cheers! -K.
Keith Morgan

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 05:26:13 AM »
Thanks guys,

Not sure about tank location yet, based on some of the other discussions, that will be a trial and error test I am sure.

Yes I am still planning on painting numbers and other details etc.

I will keep you informed of progress, Keith, looking forward to hearing how that 190 fly's...it looks great y1
Tim Stagg

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 02:58:19 PM »
Tim it looks great.I've been experimenting with different line lengths and from my tests so far you'll need lines longer than 45' to keep the plane from drilling you into the ground. I tried 52' the other day and got too much line bowing. From my perspective we are all going to have to find a great set up to get a recognizable pattern out of them.....Skip

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 04:28:31 PM »
That is one sharp looking little bird you got there.

Online ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 06:10:30 PM »
Tim, very nice!! I hope it flies great for you!!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 05:55:20 AM »
Skip,

Thanks I was going to start with 40's maybe I try 45 and go from there.

As I said this could be the most fun contest at Brodak, just trying to complete a pattern let alone make it recognizable.  ;D Hoping for some good weather to try it out
Tim Stagg

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 04:49:54 PM »
Tim would you mind posting a picture of your profile Tom Morris P51B? 

Chris
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 05:42:27 PM »
Chris that Tom Morris P51 of Tim's is the nicest profile I've ever seen!
 Tim, I have a Pinto with a Norvel .061 sport engine.On 42x.008 lines it will spin you into oblivion.I tried it on 52' lines but that didn't work. I'm going to try it next at 48'x012 .......this is a real challenge. Presently I building the 1/2A Pathfinder which I understand is a good flyer......Skip

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 09:40:38 PM »
As I said this could be the most fun contest at Brodak, just trying to complete a pattern let alone make it recognizable.  ;D Hoping for some good weather to try it out

FWIW, the 1/2A Stunt category at the spring Polk City, IA contest always provides great entertainment and most every flight ends with lots of laughs and smiles, from both the pilots and the crowd. It's a lot to do with not feeling the pressure of being out there risking your glitz-n-glam "Mega Stunter", you're just having fun ripping up the sky.

A lot of models fly surprisingly well, the main issue I've noticed is that some guys just don't have enough fuel mileage. Jared Hays from Omaha flies a bone stock sheet wing 1/2A Skyray (electric as I recall) and he cruises right through the pattern with it. The thing is a riot to watch, especially if it's windy. I've got a 1/2A Skyray of my own with a Big Mig .061, the thing just zips wherever you point it and keeps on trucking. The hardest part is keeping up with it. I sketched out and scratchbuilt a "Lil Diablo" a while back that also flies with a Big Mig .061 along with their high capacity fuel tank/engine mount. That one is a hoot to fly and easily gets through the pattern too.

Like all of our models, with a little experimenting, and some trial and error, it's definitely possible to get a good flying and completely capable 1/2A ship going. I think Tim's Tsunami here looks like a good one. If you're at a contest though and see Jared pull out that little black Skyray you'd better have your game on!  ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 06:15:51 AM »
Chris and Skip,

I will post some pictures of the P51 as so as I can find them. Just for clarification though....not do dis Tom Morris at all, put this was a plans build Pat Johnson design that I modified quite a bit.

Longer, more tail area, re-designed nose with a fiberglass cowl. etc.

I do believe Toms is a pat design as well....but I am not sure, maybe someone can clarify. Pics coming soon.

Ty,

Thanks for the nice words, next time I am down in Huntsville I will give ou a shout......still planning on moving south someday...things just got put on hold for a while
Tim Stagg

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 06:35:23 AM »
Pictures of P51
Tim Stagg

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 06:36:05 AM »
couple more
Tim Stagg

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 10:18:07 AM »
Chris and Skip,

I will post some pictures of the P51 as so as I can find them. Just for clarification though....not do dis Tom Morris at all, put this was a plans build Pat Johnson design that I modified quite a bit.

Longer, more tail area, re-designed nose with a fiberglass cowl. etc.

I do believe Toms is a pat design as well....but I am not sure, maybe someone can clarify. Pics coming soon.

Ty,

Thanks for the nice words, next time I am down in Huntsville I will give ou a shout......still planning on moving south someday...things just got put on hold for a while
Wow Tim that is  everything I wanted in mine.  I got a left over kit from Tom a couple months ago. Tom's was built from Pat Johnston plans.  I like the P51D much better than the B. I chickened out on modifying the body to look like a D though.  I see you also have the 2 cliffs in the leading edge of the wing,  that's awesome! I like it Tim! I'm still messing with paint job but this is it so far... sorry to mess up your 1/2a post!
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 04:26:05 PM »
Chris,

I thought it was hilarious  :)! Dont apologize

I love that scheme, I painted a 50 CC size RC P51 for my buddy in that scheme.

The Northern Virginia Club did a group build of Toms Mustang...I think there where like 8-9 of them being built. They fly really well. To be honest I dont know if any of my mods made any difference...but it was an experiment.
Tim Stagg

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 04:53:45 PM »
Chris,

I thought it was hilarious  :)! Dont apologize

I love that scheme, I painted a 50 CC size RC P51 for my buddy in that scheme.

The Northern Virginia Club did a group build of Toms Mustang...I think there where like 8-9 of them being built. They fly really well. To be honest I dont know if any of my mods made any difference...but it was an experiment.
Scott Richlen is the one who told me all about Tom doing them a while back.  I'm glad I was able to get one.  Scott filled me in on your wheel skirt mount,  I'm gonna steal the idea too  ;D Do you take your Mustang to any contests?

I ran across this paint scheme and I was like "That's the one!" "Obsession" pretty much sums up this hobby too. I can't figure out what color to do the canopy :-\

Chris
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2019, 07:49:14 PM »
Tim thanks for sharing the pics of your P51. Just beautifully done.

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 08:33:17 PM »
Chris I fly it at all profile events and some PA events as well, because I have learned its flaws and I dont have a PA plane that I really like.

I will bring it to Brodak, Philly, Jim Coll, NVCL and Hazelton contest this year as long as I don't kill it  #^

The wheel skirt mount is still working well. steal away

Do the canopy in white with a light blue outline...it shows really well on silver and blue

Tim Stagg

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2019, 03:44:52 AM »
Chris I fly it at all profile events and some PA events as well, because I have learned its flaws and I dont have a PA plane that I really like.

I will bring it to Brodak, Philly, Jim Coll, NVCL and Hazelton contest this year as long as I don't kill it  #^

The wheel skirt mount is still working well. steal away

Do the canopy in white with a light blue outline...it shows really well on silver and blue
Good I'll get to see it in person!  I have been admiring your canopy schemes, I think I'll give it a try.

Chris
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2019, 04:05:52 PM »

Tim, I have a Pinto with a Norvel .061 sport engine.On 42x.008 lines it will spin you into oblivion.I tried it on 52' lines but that didn't work. I'm going to try it next at 48'x012 .......this is a real challenge.

Skip-
What prop are you using?  I have a LOT of 1/2A kits to build, and my plan is to use the Norvel Big Mig .049 or .061 on 45-50' lines and the 6x2 apc, cut down a touch if needed.
I also have some apc 5.5x2.5 props.

My point is that i hear a lot about these things being really fast, but sounds like the same guys are using 5x4 props and such. I'm just wondering if the 2 or 2.5 pitch will help to make thrust without excessive speed. That should help with both overheads and line bow, i would hope.
Thanks much.
Kind regards, Target
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2019, 10:54:20 PM »
Skip-
What prop are you using?  I have a LOT of 1/2A kits to build, and my plan is to use the Norvel Big Mig .049 or .061 on 45-50' lines and the 6x2 apc, cut down a touch if needed.

Quote:

My point is that i hear a lot about these things being really fast, but sounds like the same guys are using 5x4 props and such. I'm just wondering if the 2 or 2.5 pitch will help to make thrust without excessive speed. That should help with both overheads and line bow, i would hope.
Thanks much.
Kind regards, Target.

Reply:

I use the APC 5.5x2.5 props on my AP Wasps. So far the best performance I have achieved. Using GMA 10/22 fuel. Ground rpm about 19K. Lines between 38’ and 42’ depending on the model. 4 head gaskets with Merlin glow heads and a Holuszko venturi.

Larry

DesignMan

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2019, 05:22:16 PM »
Tim;

I would imagine about 3 1/2 to 3 1/4 seconds per lap MAX.

Carl

Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2019, 06:05:30 PM »
1/2 A planes usually flY in the 4.5 second range. Antone Kephart had a Baby Magician with a pressure driven .061 that did 5.2 second laps. I don’t recall the prop, engine or fuel, but he used a bladder tank system. It can be done!

DesignMan

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2019, 09:01:43 PM »
Skip-

FWIW my Big Mig .061 likes the Master Airscrew 6x4.

Wayne Willey

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2019, 09:21:15 PM »
Define "likes".

Would help to know the lap times, and the plane and line length.

My thought process would lead to less pitch, since these are higher revving engines, just like the old "2-2-2" for stunt with less pitch props to control the speed.

Of course, since I haven't flown a 1/2A for stunt yet, this idea is completely theoretical.
I think that Heman Le did it with success though, using either the 6x2 or 5.5x2.5 on the Norvels.
I think he turned in a 500 point flight with a 1/2A on 45' lines.

R,
Target
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2019, 08:36:33 PM »
I don't have the experience that some of these guys have and I have no experience with norvel or AP engines. For the experience I do have, I like 6x3 and 5x3 props. I've used 6x3 on a golden bee on hollow logs out to 42' on calm days. Didn't time the laps but they we comfortable. Occasional lazy 8's or loops. Never really tried a stunt pattern.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2019, 09:18:44 PM »
Define "likes".

Would help to know the lap times, and the plane and line length.

It's a 1/2A Skyray, I've never really dwelled on it.  ;D

I can say that the prop works really well on it though, the engine runs smooth as a Swiss watch and pulls the plane well in any direction. By memory, I think I'd settled in on .012 x 42' lines. I stuck with .012's instead of .008 because they're less susceptible to damage. No idea on the lap times.

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2019, 09:29:03 PM »
 Tim,

That Mustang looks really great, excellent detail and finish per your typical standards. One of the other things I really like is that is doesn't look like an electric model, (with all the ugly components flapping along in the breeze) great job with working that all out.

I've painted in canopy detail before using the same technique as your Mustang but haven't ever used a white/blue combo, I usually use varying shades of grey. I might have to give the white/blue a try on my "YIPPEE" P-38 that's currently on the paint stand.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 10:07:46 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2019, 09:37:52 PM »
Thanks both Waynes.
R,
Target
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2019, 09:00:31 AM »
Bob,

I received your back plates on Friday. I tried them both, not sure if they made a difference  :-\ but I will keep working non them. I put up one test flight on Sunday, it really was too windy but I just could wait any more. It does fly, I was on 48 ' spider wire....kind of draggy especially in the wind. I may have to cut down the lines a bit and or change to .008, change engine to .061 or all three...not sure yet....but it does fly, did a loop and fly upside down for a bit....not really by choice but the lines were so slack I had to wait it out before I could turn back over  ;D ;D.

Will make some mods and try again on a calmer day
Tim Stagg

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2019, 06:02:17 AM »
Bob,

I tired to reply to the personal message email and it bounced back for some reason ...any way

Thanks so much for the back plates, Looking forward to seeing you at Brodaks.  #^ #^

I keep you apprised of how things go
Tim Stagg

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2019, 09:48:16 AM »
Did you ever fly the Mini Me Tsunami?

DesignMan

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2019, 07:49:40 AM »
Larry,

Flew last week, sorry been busy with work and family issues. It fly's great...better than my expectations. Its a bit fast, but I will be working on that with the right line length...prop size etc. I think I may have a real winner on my hands.

Full disclosure I had to remove the TD and place with a .061...not sure what it it..but appears to be a Norvel...either way it runs well.  I have not flown with the landing gear yet because we fly off a grass field...that will add some drag I am sure.

I will keep everyone posted, but as of right now, I did the whole pattern....pretty quickly  n~ but it did and was rock solid
Tim Stagg

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2020, 10:47:17 AM »

Tim
Tim, that's a nice mini me Tsunami! I love the panel lines. Do you have a picture of your large Tsunami? Check out my 1/2a version of my big tsunami and let me know what you think. Save time by going to the 4:00 minute mark in the video.

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2020, 11:39:20 AM »
Wow! How did you get the graphics so clean on the film covering? Is this printed vinyl?

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2020, 12:13:49 PM »
 It's actually silkspan on both planes. It's an all dope finish. No decals or vinyl stickers. I used masking tape and sprayed  on the graphics. The smaller lettering I used letra sets, like on  the 1/2a Tsunami's wing.

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2020, 12:18:15 PM »
Slack-jawed. Just, well, Wow!

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2020, 12:22:12 PM »
I'm equally impressed with your ink work and shading of the panel lines Jim.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2020, 08:39:51 PM »
Tim, what I wanted to ask you about is that spitfire in the picture you posted. I am currently finishing off a 60 sized Spit and thought I might do a half A one too.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here