News:

• May 04, 2024, 02:59:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Todays Half A choices.. or Half A+  (Read 1210 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Todays Half A choices.. or Half A+
« on: October 28, 2007, 09:42:05 PM »
I'm trying to get into building and flying c/l models for a pastime now that I'm retired. I've always enjoyed PA but 1/2A has always been my preference . I have (2) norvell engines but, since they aren't in production I'm wondering what engines are still in production and how they compare. When I was still flying I used mostly golden bees or baby bees with a golden bee tank.
I have always enjoyed scratch building so the real question comes down to trying to find out what's easily available , and how it compares to a golden bee.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Todays Half A choices.. or Half A+
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 10:57:45 PM »
In the same class as the "Golden Bee" there is the OK .049R reed valve engine. Low price and guaranteed for one year. Power out put is similar to the Golden Bee and it uses a standard short plug.
Larry

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 01:26:42 AM »
Thanks for the syggestion. i'm trying to get all the pro's and cons of what is actually still being made today. i'm not  limited to just .049 . Here is a jpg from pebn hobbies. Is this the ok engine you mean ? I am also trying to makes sure it will run long enough to fly the whole pattern.

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 05:15:51 AM »
In the affordable 1/2A + aisle, you've got the AP .061 Wasp.  Its an RC engine, but you can easily lock the throttle open with a piece of paperclip wire.  I got 2 of them and have been very satisfied.  You need to use low pitch props to get them to rev like they want, but I've flown planes with 36" wingspan on one engine and 44" span on 2.  (Note the 44" span plane would fly on one engine, but would not take off on one.)

Think I gave something like $40 each for the engines.  I use a Sullivan 1 oz slant tank with them and run muffler pressure.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 05:54:06 AM »
Yes, that is the OK I mean however for stunt flying the more powerful .o49 engines would be a better choice. Also check out Virginia Hobbysport they offer a Fox .049 that is being made from parts, an more powerful engine and a more stunt type. Brodak puts out a good engine but not tank mounted and the Wasp is a good non tank engine too. On my web site you will find pictures of engines in competition.
WWW.BLACKHAWKMODELS.COM

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 10:12:53 PM »
In the affordable 1/2A + aisle, you've got the AP .061 Wasp...

I have read that many AP Wasp parts can be used on your Norvel engines to keep them going. Have not needed to try it yet.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 09:09:16 PM »
Tee Dee 049's and 051's were all the rage for 1/2A Stunt back in the old days.
Now there are so many better, more powerful options that an old 60's Fox or Cub just seem silly to fool with unless it is a nostalgia thing.

The new AP 061's are the ticket. Easy to buy and run, lock the throttle open for Stunt and install a tank large enough to fly the whole pattern. The things are powerful enough to fly a Jr. Nobler, or something just an bit smaller.

Tower and Hobby People have them for about 40-45 bucks.

Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here