News:

• May 01, 2024, 01:49:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: to lighten or not to lighten or Here comes another Golden Hawk!  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Robert McHam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
I have committed to buying a Golden Hawk of Blackhawk Models origin. Since then I have looked at many photos of others who have built this plane. Mostly for a cool color sheme since I won't have the way cool original decal set. That is too bad because it is that decal set that really makes the looks of the Golden Hawk stand out. 
This aside, what I have discovered is that quite a few modelers have chosen to cut lightening holes in the tail surfaces and even the wing.

This makes me want to do the same. Should I? Of course I know the advantages of a light model Vs the same model weighing significantly more. Would I do more harm than good by making large lightening holes in the wing?

I plan on using a Golden Bee for the power plant.

All comments certainly welcome along with cool color schemes. I have an affinity with a cream base / dark or metallic colors such as blue, green, red... 

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: to lighten or not to lighten or Here comes another Golden Hawk!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 07:47:33 AM »
If you cut holes the wing, you can't use it in a Musciano hollow log contest.

The way to save weight is inside the fuselage, and in wood selection.  Also, a clear dope with light trim is a place to save mass.

Paul Smith

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 10:06:17 AM »
Quote by Paul Smith:
"If you cut holes the wing, you can't use it in a Musciano hollow log contest."

Paul, I had a feeling this was true but did not know for sure.

Certainly the most weight savings would be inside the fuselage. It is there one would start trying to save weight and to do so aggressively, taking care of course not to get too thin especially where the firewall is to be glued. A good strong light is a great help here.

If one were not to fly the plane in a Musciano hollow log contest, then of course anything goes to save weight.

The reason for this question was that I noted in many of the pictures of finished Golden Hawks which indeed did have such holes in the wings. They were plainly obvious.

Thank you for your reply, Robert

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 08:26:14 AM »
I've seen such a 'Hawk around here, fortunately it was never entered in a contest.

Not only were holes cut, but also thick airfoil ribs inserted, doubly illegal.

Weight saving was probably minimal, but 2 or 3 times the thickness might have paid off.
Paul Smith

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 11:10:39 AM »
I don't know if I have seen the thick rib modification. That would be interesting to see.

I agree that lightening holes in the wings would provide minimal weight savings but in my experience the lighter, the better. for all out perfoirmance the first, best choice as you have pointed out would be wood selection. Even if it means having to substitute every piece of wood in the kit.

Once you have some really good wood those lightening holes just would not add up oin such a small model.   

After I built my first hollow log, a Zig Zag (early 70's), I started thinking about such things but never followed thru.  Things like really gutting the wing hard and putting false ribs to simply building a built up wing for it.  Also adding a little wing area by extending the wing tips an inch each side and maybe adding a half inch or three quarter inch trailing edge extension. Then thought about hinging the TE extension as a flap instead...
I came to realise that though I really loved the thing, it would need total redesign to really make it come alive. The only modification I ever did to it was to double the elevator area. It just did not want to turn with the original. Buddy, let me tell you it would turn after the mod!!!

As for me and the Musciano events, I doubt I will ever be close enough to one to go, therefore I shall do as I see fit for this one which will probably be stock but I will make some measurements and tracings for further musings.
It is my understanding the Golden Hawk was a much better flier "out of the box" than many of the other planes. For this reason I doubt i will make many changes to the kit. Not because of being able to fly the contests.

If indeed I decide to build a "Super Golden Hawk" it will most likely have a built up fuse stretched a couple of inches to the rear and probably an inch add in front of the existing firewall.  A built up symmetrical wing with a few extra squares to top it off. It would be far from a Golden  Hawk but the inspiration would be there... Ideas...

Robert

Robert

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 11:27:25 AM »
I would humbly suggest you build it stock. That way you CAN compete if you want...even if by proxy.

If you are going for performance, there are much better planes than the hollow logs, and much better engines than those allowed in the Musciano events.

The Musciano event apparently uses the principle KISMIF (Keep It Simple, Make It Fun). That appeals to some of us old guys.  >:D

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 02:45:41 PM »
George, Stock it shall be. True enough I may not be able to attend a Musciano event, I could enter by proxy. Cool!

Now for some ideas for a way cool paint job!

Anyone?

Does anyone have a color scan of the original decals? I sure would like to see them.

Robert

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 08:48:24 AM »
George, Stock it shall be. True enough I may not be able to attend a Musciano event, I could enter by proxy. Cool!

Now for some ideas for a way cool paint job!

Anyone?

Does anyone have a color scan of the original decals? I sure would like to see them.

Robert

Hi Robert,

By all means lighten the fuselage as much as possible.  Leaving about 3/8th" in the front is ample, and thinning the walls in most places to 3/32" (or less) will remove a ton of weight.  Go all the way to the rear of the fuselage inside.  It's like hollowing a block on a full size stunter, if you didn't go through some where, you didn't go thin enough!  LL~  y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Scientific Cadet
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 10:03:47 AM »
Although not "hollow log legal", the modified Golden Hawk you proposed would be pretty much like the Cadet, of which I built two.

The Scientific Cadet really flew !!!

It had a 1/16" balsa box fuselage and a wing with 1 inches of true builtup airfoil, plus 2" tips for a total span of 22".   

Paul Smith

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 03:21:28 PM »
Thanks for that info Paul, I do believe that more than a hand full of the Scientific models shared traits and some even parts between models. I mean besides the standard landing gear and other hardware.

As I more or less eluded to, the number of changes and upgrades would not really be fitting to do to an existing kit, for you would most likely wind up with an entirely new design based on an existing model kit.

Still waiting for my Golden Hawk to arrive but it is still early yet. Should be any day now  though I have not had word that it shipped as yet. I am excited!

Robert     

Offline nobler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 11:00:17 AM »
For small models like the Ford Flivver or the Zig Zag, careful balsa selection, much fuse hollowing, and careful painting can lead to a very light model. The Blackhawk Golden Hawk is designed for the rough and tumble of day to day use, and rightfully so. It would work OK in the Musciano Team Race, but not so well in Stunt or Speed. Anyway, these heavier kit models are great for teaching kids to fly...and crash...and flly...etc.

If you work at it, a Zig Zag or Stuntmaster fuse can be as light as 10 grams, unpainted and no firewall. A typical Scientific 18", 3" chord wing also can be 10 grams. Together, this is only a little over 2/3rds of an ounce.

As an example, I have a Ford Flivver in Winter storage. Painted, no controls, no motor, no landing gear, but ready to go with 2-56 blind mounts, is 40 grams. This is about 1.4 ounces. This lightening is for contest use, and I wouldn't use it for Team Race. Currell

Advertise Here

Advertise Here