News:

• May 01, 2024, 07:10:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: This took a little longer than expected...  (Read 1103 times)

Offline John Castle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • The Bent Pin
This took a little longer than expected...
« on: February 23, 2009, 10:12:13 AM »
My first intentions were to make this a quick cut, glue and paint plane but in the spirit of control line craftsmanship I got carried away. This Eindecker is built from Dick Sarpolus plans and covered with dope==> Silkspan==> dope==> primer==> Rustoleum. It's powered with a Norvel .061 AME, 3/8 oz. tank and a 5x3 prop. If I had it to do over again I would use stouter wire for the landing gear as I needed to add some nose weight anyway and I'm sure that this gear will bend flat when landing. Lots of fun in any case; I just hope it last for a few flights. :)

John
John Castle
McMinnville, Oregon 
AMA# 589650

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: This took a little longer than expected...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 12:16:43 PM »
Nice looking Eindecker.  I sorta like Eindeckers I sorta used to have one  It wasn't a 1/2 A but Eindeckers look good in the air!  Unfortuinatly my ran out of air and is no more.

#^  #^  #^  #^  #^  #^  #^    LL~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 12:27:46 PM »
Looks great John!  Probably won't be much flight time on 3/8 oz. with that ame,, but you better hold on tight with anything shorter than 45 foot lines!!  y1
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 03:13:45 PM »
John,

Very nice airplane!  H^^

One thing I don't like about the later Norvel engines, is that long extended needle valve. Even with your very deep fuselage it hangs out there far enough to snag, on those inevitable inverted landings. I've heard that the needle is also rigid enough, to bend the spray bar in a crash.

The AP Wasp .061 needle, even though it's from an R/C carb, screws right in to the Norvel spray bar. The AP needle is a bit thinner than the Norvel, so I'm not sure it will screw in far enough to work on the Norvel. Anyone tried that?

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 03:40:31 PM »
One option on the needle valve would be to cut it off shorter and bend a 90 with a couple of pairs of needle nose pliers, should be easy!!  y1
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 09:56:29 PM »
Cool model, I don't know why, but anything WW1 - German Aircraft seems appealing.  Their WW2 stuff is great too, but the taste of the political side of that war kind of puts me off (Me-109 and Stuka overcome that, however).
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 05:57:04 AM »
Just cut the extension off that needle valve altogether; the knurled knob is all you need for adjusting. I never understood the purpose of that extension except perhaps to protrude out of a cowl.   
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here