News:

• May 22, 2024, 02:37:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Testers Ambush  (Read 3781 times)

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Testers Ambush
« on: June 12, 2009, 06:34:58 PM »

i have a srt of plans for a 1/2a model designed by Testers for their 8000 series 1/2a engine.  If I remember correctly the plans were free from Testers.    The plans are dated 6-2-77.  Does anyone know qho designed this for testers.  It is an all sheet profilr 24" span and the plans state "will perform all ama precision aerobatic manruvers"
ama 5871

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
Re: Testers Ambush
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 08:48:33 PM »
Bob, you have my attention!

First, I am trying to imagine a plane that would do the AMA 1/2A pattern with a Testor's engine on it. Does it show an engine on the plan?
Second, I am guessing the plane was called the "Ambush"?

I would love to find out more of this thing you have.  I only recently discovered that Testor once kitted C/L kits back in the 1950s! The sheet planes even had a strange set up for moving the elevator.

I can hardly wait to find out about this one!

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 09:32:37 PM »
Robert
The plans show the plane with a Testers series 8000 engine.  It alsi states to shorten the nose 3/8" for Cox engines.
  I have a photo of the plans but cann't suze it small enough to post.
ama 5871

Offline John Castle

• Commander
  • The Bent Pin
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 09:44:30 PM »
Not sure if it is relevant but there is a good thread about Testors models here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1059550

John
John Castle
McMinnville, Oregon 
AMA# 589650

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 06:21:54 AM »
Robert
The plans show the plane with a Testers series 8000 engine.  It alsi states to shorten the nose 3/8" for Cox engines.
  I have a photo of the plans but cann't suze it small enough to post.
See photo
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 06:59:48 AM »
Very interesting, I hadn't never heard of this plane.
AMA 59633

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 08:48:30 AM »
I am wondering where the plan came from.
Most of the Testor's engines were for their RTR/RTF cars and planes and it was rare to see one for sale by itself.

Kind of makes me think that it may have come with the loose engines? By loose I mean  not already in a ready to run model. This sounds like a good way to help sell the engine if this is the case.

Robert

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 10:23:57 AM »
The plan was offered free from Testers when they came out with the 8000 series engine.  That much I did remember as I was always looking for free.
Bob
ama 5871

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 03:09:26 PM »
I remember that design now that I see the plans.  A couple of guys in Leavenworth, Kansas were making kits.  I think I still have the plans in my stash somewhere.  My son and I built one apeice.  With Golden Bee .049 were very fast and maneuverable.   I beleive that the designer in question was Wild Bill Netzband hisself if I remember right.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 06:39:07 PM »

First, I am trying to imagine a plane that would do the AMA 1/2A pattern with a Testor's engine on it. Does it show an engine on the plan?

[/quote]
Hi Robert,
I was just looking at a 1979 issue of Model Builder and in the Fuel Lines column, Joe Klause did some RPM tests on a number of 1/2 A engines, the Testors 8000 being one of them, With 15% fuel and Cox 5x3 prop, the Testors 8000 turned 17,200 while the Cox Black Widow turned 16,100 and the Golden Bee a 15,600.
Looks like the Testors 8000 is a pretty gutsy engine and should do well on a 1/2A stunter.
Orv.

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 09:37:05 PM »
Thanks Doc I think you are right.  The plans do not list the designer name but it does have what looks like  "wn" in the drawn by block
ama 5871

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 09:45:14 PM »
Orv, Thanks for that. Now try to find one! I know I don't!

All kidding aside, I would build this one just for one of those 8000 engines if I had one!

Robert

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 08:43:45 AM »
I am pretty sure that is the plane John Wright showed at our last meeting.  I got to fly one, and it is a nice, solid sport model.  Loops, eights, wingovers, no problem.  Should be photos on the KOTRC.org website soon, if not already. 
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 08:56:42 AM »
The Ambush is deffinatly designed by "Wild" Bill. He designed them in several sizes. About 15 years ago, a .15 sizews published in MA. I may have digital files from Bill for the ambush, and another 1/2a design that was constructed from 1 sheet of balsa.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 03:17:03 PM by John Miller »
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 11:21:19 AM »
I think Wild Bill had something to do with the engine design as well. It was a great little engine that came in RTF's and as a stand-alone.

The stand-alone version came with a tank, and was mounted cylinder to the side. Oh heck, here's some pics:
1.Product engine (metal crankcase), 2.Bottom view, 3.Top view - note the circular fuel inlet cap, 4.Packaged upside down with prop and included needle extender and wrench. It was packaged well...then Testors went out of business.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 02:02:08 PM »
The Ambush is definatly designed by "Wild" Bill. He designed them in several sizes. About 15 years ago, a .15 sizews published in MA. I may have digital files from Bill for the ambush, and another 1/2a design that was constructed from 1 sheet of balsa.

That one sheet plan sounds interesting! Would like to find out more! Because of making it fit on one sheet it probably isn't much to look at in final form but something simplistic. Owing more to economy and function rather than form.

George, thanks for those good pictures and info! This topic just grows more and more interesting!

Just last week I had my eye on one of these 8000 engines on that big auction site and thought I might get it cheap but the seller, who runs and tachs his engines said it was hard to start at first, then  when running its best only tached 11.4K on it. I checked today and it sold already for the opening bid. 

Robert

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here