News:

• May 01, 2024, 10:25:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tech Terror - Classic legal 1/2A stunter  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Tech Terror - Classic legal 1/2A stunter
« on: February 19, 2009, 08:37:24 AM »
Way back in 1963, I designed a plane for my Senior Thesis.  It is documented in the MIT library, so it is a classic legal design.  I came accross the 3-view a while back, and drew up full plans in AutoCAD.  Eric Rule of RSM laser cut the parts, and I am now building it.  Power will be a Golden Bee with an auxiliary tank in the fuselage to get the duration needed to fly the full pattern.  Wing area is 137 sq.in. and the weight should come out just under 6 ounces.  The design is simple and rather ugly, but what the heck, it is my only documented classic legal stunter, and I plan to fly it at VSC this year.

Here are a couple of work-in-progress photos:
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Tech Terror - Classic legal 1/2A stunter
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 12:47:37 PM »
Very nice Larry, can't wait to see the completed plane and flight reports.!!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 02:58:17 PM »
Where can I get some of those heavy angles that you have in your wing construction photo ?

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 07:13:11 AM »
The angles come from micromark.com  They are very handy for a lot of chores, especially getting the fuselage squared up.

Last night, I had the opportunity to weigh the wing from a Brodak Baby Clown ARF.  It is 135 sq.in. compared to 137 for the TT.  It weighed 2.2 ounces compared to 1.1 for the TT!  Both without covering, and some of the sheeting was missing from the Clown as the bellcrank was being replaced.  #^

DesignMan

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 06:04:01 PM »
Interesting side comment:  I publish photos of what is probably one of my worst designs and I get feedback.  I show a model of one that has trophied at every contest, even against "big" models, been kitted by a  major manufacturer (RSM), and nobody says boo?  You guys aren't into good flying planes?  Stuff with a really good finish?  Trophies?  1/2A models that can push a 500 point pattern?  I work hard to produce designs that anyone can build successfully, and have good performance and stability. I only work with kit makers who will work with me to produce the very best possible product, and update it as development shows ways to improve the design.  What am I missing?

I want to contribute to the overall success of small models as I have all my life, but I am not getting anything in the way of positive feedback.  I have plenty of .09, .15, .25, .35 and .40 engines and designs to go with them. If you guys don't care about what I try to do, I can go play in the other playground. Or I might even go over to "the Dark Side".   I bought two Park Flyer receivers and two Outrunner motors and a flight pack today at a swap meet......  VD~

DesignMan

Offline Robert W

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 05:19:48 AM »
Larry

Please take a breath, I for one appreciate your post and the fact that you share your latest designs and information on the form. I tend not to post very much, but I do read and learn. The information you have posted has helped me in the persuit of fun with these little airplanes. Your achievements with some of the latest designs shows us lurkers what is possible and gives a target to strive for.

Thank You for your time and post
Robert
AMA 28627

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 09:39:39 AM »
Interesting side comment:  I publish photos of what is probably one of my worst designs and I get feedback.  I show a model of one that has trophied at every contest, even against "big" models, been kitted by a  major manufacturer (RSM), and nobody says boo?  You guys aren't into good flying planes?  Stuff with a really good finish?  Trophies?  1/2A models that can push a 500 point pattern?  I work hard to produce designs that anyone can build successfully, and have good performance and stability. I only work with kit makers who will work with me to produce the very best possible product, and update it as development shows ways to improve the design.  What am I missing?

Larry,
You are not missing anything. I, for one, read everything I see that you contribute to the forums. I have enjoyed your insights on designing Cox engines and how to improve/fix them. I have read your design articles on various planes, including the Sky Sport and the Sky Sport Mk II. Even followed the design and improvements for your 1/2A control handle, although I must confess that I still do not have one.

Because we do not always comment does not by any means indicate that we are not reading, and sometimes learning from, what you post. Remember also that some of us are not contest oriented.

Your efforts ARE appreciated.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 10:09:58 AM »
Thanks guys, I apologise for my rant, I was not feeling too good and in a really bum mood. 

DesignMan

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 09:12:08 PM »
Larry,
You are not missing anything. ........... including the Sky Sport and the Sky Sport Mk II. Even followed the design and improvements for your 1/2A control handle, although I must confess that I still do not have one.

Your efforts ARE appreciated.

George

George,
Suggestion: Get one of Larry's handles. I believe it does for 1/2A Flying what the Fancher Handle Design does for the larger planes.
I have flown hundreds of flights using one of Larry's handles and I believe it is the best for 1/2A's.

Edit comment: Obtain from Eric Rule/RSM
Roger V. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 06:51:39 AM by Roger Vizioli »
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 10:25:49 AM »
I built a lightweight PDQ Clown (the 200 sqin job they use as racers) with a TeeDee .049.

So it's legal for OTS, Classic, nostalgia, profile, 1/2A, and CLPA.
Paul Smith

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 11:07:29 AM »
I built a lightweight PDQ Clown (the 200 sqin job they use as racers) with a TeeDee .049.

So it's legal for OTS, Classic, nostalgia, profile, 1/2A, and CLPA.

Not to mention that it fits in the smallest of cars and probably uses the least fuel.  Savings abound!!!  Just think of it, carpooling to a contest with 4 flyers in a Geo Metro.  The perfect $10 day for gas and food to just about anywhere in the Midwest.
John Paris

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 10:04:16 PM »
And it is Leprechaun legal too!  That "Pot 'O Gold" trophy is up for grabs at the Palmer Memorial again.  Somebody needs to take it away from Stan Tyler, though that might be tough.  Stan is finishing up a twin Flite Streak using two pressure fed Tee Dee .049s.  Antone Kephart will be hot on his tail with a bladder fed Tee Dee in a Baby Clown.  I plan to have the Tech Terror up and running by then, and John Wright is always a power to be considered.  Who knows what Scott Dinger might bring.  A (very) long shot would be if Keith Trostle actually finished design and construction of the new Tercel.  That would be a major game changer!  Hey Keith, your name isn't on that trophy yet, and it is nearly 10 years old!

DesignMan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here