News:

• April 30, 2024, 06:32:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TD vs Medallion  (Read 4727 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
TD vs Medallion
« on: November 04, 2008, 12:28:21 PM »
I been around for a long time but I am just beginning to look seriously at 1/2 A.  What is the difference between a Cox TD and a Medallion.  I see red cases and black cases.  Are they basically the same and all of the parts interchange.  I have a black case rotary shaft Cox with a Black Widow jug. I also have the bottom end of a red case rotary shaft Cox that I plan to put a product engine jug on. I have a LH crank comming. Will it work in both?  Everything seems to mixes and match so what's the dif in a TD and a Medallion and how can you tell them apart?  ???  ???  n~

PS I was just looking on ebay at a Medallion .049.   It appeared to have a molded in venture.  My two have screw in venture.  Is this the differance?  If so why is one of mine black and one red?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 12:47:26 PM by John Rist »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
Re: TD vs Medallion
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »
Quickest way to tell them apart is the needle valve location. The needle valve on a Medallion goes through the side of the venturi like most c/l engines, while the needle on the TD goes into a housing around the venturi, and is alongside the venturi tube.

There are other differences such as cylinder/piston assy, glow head, crankshaft, and carb housing.

The red or black carb housing was usually used to identify the .049 from the .051 TD, black being .049.

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 12:51:22 PM »
Quickest way to tell them apart is the needle valve location. The needle valve on a Medallion goes through the side of the venturi like most c/l engines, while the needle on the TD goes into a housing around the venturi, and is alongside the venturi tube.

There are other differences such as cylinder/piston assy, glow head, crankshaft, and carb housing.

The red or black carb housing was usually used to identify the .049 from the .051 TD, black being .049.

Bill

Thanks bill.  That all makes sense.  is the crank interchangable between the TD and Medallion?
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 01:14:28 PM »
Don't know for sure John, but I would think the crank has different timing, and/or inlet port size. The TD cylinder has different porting, and is also tapered.

Warren Leadbeatter has a great article on Cox engines in Wikipedia. He explains the different cylinder porting, and shows photos of the cylinder flutes. Here is the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cox_Model_Engines

It's a great read.

Bill

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 02:03:55 PM »
Don't know for sure John, but I would think the crank has different timing, and/or inlet port size. The TD cylinder has different porting, and is also tapered.

Warren Leadbeatter has a great article on Cox engines in Wikipedia. He explains the different cylinder porting, and shows photos of the cylinder flutes. Here is the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cox_Model_Engines

It's a great read.

Bill

As always you guys know it all or know where to look.  The above link is a great read. And besides it had the answer to my question.

Quote from wikipedia.

"On the Tee Dees and Medallions the cranks are also interchangeable but quite different. The Tee Dee has a large square hole at the intake end of the crank whereas the Medallion has a smaller round hole. The timing is also different."

This tells me that my LH crank is Medallion but will work with my TD bottom end.  I am not looking for big HP - rather easy start and good runs.  I will be using it as a pusher on a scale DO335.  In a few weeks (months) I will start a new thread on the scale BB.  Lots of problems to overcome but if it all works I will have a one of kind. And that, as they say, makes the effor well eorth it.  Thanks for the help!   H^^

John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 03:09:59 PM »
John,

Sounds like a very challenging project. Looking forward to your progress reports.

Someone is making aluminum replacement carb bodies for the TD now. Not sure how the price compares to a plastic replacement, but you might keep that in mind, in case you ever need one. The plastic ones are getting very hard to find, and have really gone up in price. I think Reggie at Vintage glow engines has them.

http://www.vintageglowengines.com/

He has other TD parts as well.

Bill

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 03:52:14 PM »

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 04:55:32 AM »
John,

Found some of the aluminum carb bodies on Ebay. Different colors available. Here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cox-049-Tee-Dee-Alum-Intake-Housing-replaces-carb-body_W0QQitemZ260310359152QQihZ016QQcategoryZ34056QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bill
I don't see a prusser tap. I asked the seller if it has one.  If not it should be possible to drill and tap to add a standare muffler pressure tap.  Will post the sellers repuly.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 09:10:28 AM »
Just a heads-up.  If you use a muffler, be sure you have a piston/cylinder set that does not have any sub-piston induction.  (that's where there is a little gap under the bottom of the piston when it is at top-dead-center as seen through the exhaust port).  If you keep your eyes out, there are pressure tap backplates out there.  And, look at the TD Venturi size thread in this section to see how to use the built-in crankcase pressure tap you already have on the engines.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 11:32:09 AM »
Just had an idea.  With that front end not be keyed to the crankcase, the engine could be run in reverse by rotating the cover ninety degrees.  This is something done with lot of front and rear rotor larger engines.  The only thing I don't remember is whether the rotation is clockwise or counter-clockwise.  Could also be used to alter the intake timing in the normal direction.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 01:44:41 AM »
Hi Ty,

Perhaps Warren will see this, and comment?

He tries to keep the Wikipedia article as accurate as possible, but some facts are difficult to verify. I'm sure he will appreciate your input, on the Conquest.

Thanks,

Bill

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 12:33:20 PM »
Just had an idea.  With that front end not be keyed to the crankcase, the engine could be run in reverse by rotating the cover ninety degrees.  This is something done with lot of front and rear rotor larger engines.  The only thing I don't remember is whether the rotation is clockwise or counter-clockwise.  Could also be used to alter the intake timing in the normal direction.

That won't work on a TD (or Medallion).  It is not like an Enya, where you remove the crank, venturi and front bearing all at once.  The only thing that removes on the Coxes is the plastic part, and it slides on over the machined aluminum crankcase - (incidentally, you can't rotate it and slide it back on again anyway- there is a flat molded in the inner bore of the plastic carb body and a flat milled on the top of the crankcase front end).

The actual bypass and the bearings don't come off when the plastic carb body is removed.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 09:03:29 PM »
Right again, Mike!

DesignMan

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 10:14:19 AM »
Right again, Mike!

I must be having a good day - or else I'm just showing my age -  :)

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 02:45:06 PM »
Don B, to your post #9...

The magic number for reversing rotation on an engine with a detachable front end (bearings, shaft, inlet) (that has a symmetrical bolt pattern allowing rotation by 90° either way) IS 90°. Which way doesn't make any difference.

The intake port in the case gets turned 90° and the shaft port meets it the other 90°, earlier or later. If you turn the front end counter-clockwise, you could call the change later in the stock direction of rotation, and vice versa: CW could be called earlier... Either way adds up to 180°.

One problem: the shaft port timing is often 'biased' to run better in the originally designed direction. Reversing the sequence in which the ports open will reverse that 'bias' opposite to what the mfr intended. For mfrs who offer either CW rotation engines (e.g., ENYA for several engines) or CW shafts (e.g., FOX), it is safe to presume that the mfr mirrored the port timing bias to get the same advantage as the original CCW rotation shaft in CCW operation.

BTW, I've never seen a COX engine with a front end suitable for this trick...

I HAVE seen COX reed valve engines run happily, and equally well either way - occasionally when you DON'T want them to... Reed induction is "controlled" by pressure changes in the crankcase, not by carefully timed ports cut into the metal (or plastic). Most reed COX engines don't have the power of a decent Medallion, or anywhere near the power of a TeeDee, but a reed at the back of that Do-335 could be a simpler way to do it.

The "product" engine - as installed in the department store plastic ARFs - isn't as bulky as the "integral tank" reed engines, and you'd use a separate tank. That could make fuel feed easier to tune in for an engine flying "backwards."

The old side port (usually spark) engines could run either way equally well, except that spark timing prevented reverse running...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 10:09:30 PM »
Side Port Diesels run either way with no difference.  Someone modified a Cox to run side-port, and it worked.  Not powerful, but solid running, I am told.  I think he got a single bypass cylinder that happened to have the exhaust in front, thus enough "meat" on the opposite wall for the venturi.

DesignMan

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 11:30:08 PM »
...The magic number for reversing rotation on an engine with a detachable front end (bearings, shaft, inlet) (that has a symmetrical bolt pattern allowing rotation by 90° either way) IS 90°. Which way doesn't make any difference.

I think the correct front-end rotation is 90 deg CCW for running the engine in a CW direction. To turn it either way would, to me, seem like saying for normal CCW running, the intake can be either up or down...but then, I haven't tried it. As long as the intake opens while the piston is going up, I guess.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 07:10:20 AM »
All,

Wow! this BB is fun!  Lob a question and you get an education.  Having read and digested all of the above my plan for the rear engine of my DO336 is to use a TD crank case, a  Medallion LH crank, and a product engine jug.  This should give me a beam mount, easy starting, backwards running power plant.  It will sit right above the trailing edge of the wing with a 4" extension shaft running out the back of the tail. The tail end of the shaft will be supported by a 30,000 RPM ball bearing from McMaster Carr. The ball bearing will act as the thrust bearing.  The motor will be soft mounted to allow it to float so as to not put the shaft/bearing assembly in a bind. A good friend of mine who is a mechanical engineer and master machinist will help me design and build the extension shaft.  When it is all done I will post pictures.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline George

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 10:26:20 AM »
John,

If you know anyone who is into model boats you might find a good U-joint...and perhaps a shaft.  ;)

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 10:07:58 PM »
There's another difference between the Medallion and TD crankshafts: The Medallion Intake is round (more or less) and the TD is rectangular, which produces greater airflow.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2008, 10:51:32 PM »
True, the The Medallion Intake is round and the TD is rectangular.  The LH Medallion crank came in and it does have a round intake hole. However power is not an issue. With the Medallion crank and a product engine jug I am hoping for a easy starting mild manner engine.

I used to race fast electric boats. I still have a collection flex shafts etc. The problem is that they don't adapt well to a 1/2 air prop. Anyway the rigid shaft design and fabracition is well under way. If that doesn't work I will look at u-joints.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2008, 11:13:29 AM »
I suspect that heavy fuel hose could be used as a u-joint if the angle is minimal.

DesignMan

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2008, 02:33:30 PM »
Wow, Larry...that's a little shaky. You may be right but it sure seems counterintuitive to me. I wouldn't try it myself.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 07:03:21 PM »
Wow, Larry...that's a little shaky. You may be right but it sure seems counterintuitive to me. I wouldn't try it myself.

Brass U-joint keeps breaking. I now have Octura steel U-joint on the way from ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=370115607850

John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline George

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 09:06:30 PM »
John,

A stuffing tube is usually used to keep water out of a boat, I can't understand why you are using it on an airplane when a simple shaft would work and be much lighter?

BTW, plastic fuel tubing was used as a "U" joint on 1/2A boats back when parts were not as accessible and engines had less power.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2009, 10:13:46 PM »
John,

A stuffing tube is usually used to keep water out of a boat, I can't understand why you are using it on an airplane when a simple shaft would work and be much lighter?

BTW, plastic fuel tubing was used as a "U" joint on 1/2A boats back when parts were not as accessible and engines had less power.

George

That's not a stuffing tube.  Its an aluminum shaft - very light and very strong.  The shaft works well - just having trouble with brass U-joint.  Octura steel U-joint on it's way. I am sure the steel U-joint will do the job. Pictures and story forthcomming when I get it up and running.  #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here