News:

• April 30, 2024, 03:20:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TD .049 venturi size  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Robert W

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
TD .049 venturi size
« on: October 28, 2008, 11:56:07 AM »
I did a quick search and may have missed this, but I am looking for what is a good ID size for the venturi on the TD049 that will give good performace on suction from a uniflow tank. The math I use for the larger engines would require an opening smaller then what is on the reed valve motors, so I do not trust the math for this size.

I am trying to get some of my 1/2A planes running better.

Thanks
Robert

AMA 28627

Online James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: TD .049 venturi size
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 02:44:09 PM »
Robert
Way back when we were doing Tee Dee 1/2 A stunters the early Tee Dee venturi with the .125 (app) hole worked the best...    FWIW
thanks
Jim

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 07:46:01 PM »
Why suction?  The side nipple pressure works really well.  Take a 2x56 "T" nut and turn the flange down to make a nipple out of it.  Screw it onto the side nipple on the carb housing with a bit of epoxy or Goop adhesive to assure a seal.  Drill the pressure tap per Cox's instructions and plumb to the tank.  I get incredibly good, reliable runs with this setup.  You can even drill out the venturi a bit if you need even more power and can handle the fuel load required in your plane.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Robert W

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 06:50:37 AM »
Thanks for the information, I measured the one I have been using with a drill bit and it is around 0.108". I will keep experimenting till I get good runs.

Regards
Robert
AMA 28627

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 12:33:38 PM »
Why suction?  The side nipple pressure works really well.  Take a 2x56 "T" nut and turn the flange down to make a nipple out of it.  Screw it onto the side nipple on the carb housing with a bit of epoxy or Goop adhesive to assure a seal.  Drill the pressure tap per Cox's instructions and plumb to the tank.  I get incredibly good, reliable runs with this setup.  You can even drill out the venturi a bit if you need even more power and can handle the fuel load required in your plane.

I have a Madallion .049 that I run on pressure.  I have trouble keeping the fuel line on the pressure tap. Is the above a fix? do you have pictures?  #^

As a side comment I have found pressure hard to hand start but an electric starter works fine. H^^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 03:56:51 PM »
I flew 1/2A stunt with TD on a pacifier tank or with crankcase pressure off the backplate.  Do not flip a TD.  Headprime, turn the prop backwards to vertical, attach glow plug and hit the prop forward with your gloved finger.  With practice it works almost every time. 

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 09:01:22 AM »
To John Rist:  see above for the best way to keep the hose on the nipple.  There are a couple of other ways as well.  One way is to super-glue the hose on.  Another is to gently scribe anullar lines around the nipple with a #11 blade.  This adds friction to prevent slippage.  The 2x56 nut filed down to become a real hose nipple is far and away the best.

DesignMan

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 12:19:41 PM »
To John Rist:  see above for the best way to keep the hose on the nipple.  There are a couple of other ways as well.  One way is to super-glue the hose on.  Another is to gently scribe anullar lines around the nipple with a #11 blade.  This adds friction to prevent slippage.  The 2x56 nut filed down to become a real hose nipple is far and away the best.

I am fairly new to U-Control BBs.  It never ceases to amaze me what can be learned on one.  Thanks all!! y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 07:39:14 PM »
Here is a photo of the nipple modification I use on the Tee Dee and Medallion.  You screw a 2x56 "T" nut onto a bolt and chuck it into your power drill.  Use a file to cut the flange down until it is a nice hose nipple shape.  It will then screw onto the plastic nipple on the carb housing of either engine, and if you use a bit of Goop, epoxy, or JB weld, will seal perfectly.  Drill out the tap per factory instructions, and you have a very reliable pressure tank drive system.   

I like the ultra fine control that the Kirn or Klaus needle system provide, but it is quite workable with the stock needle.  I seem to need about 1 ounce of fuel to do the classic pattern on 42.5' lines with a bit of margin left over.  I do tend to set it screaming all the way, keeping attention on not going over-lean on the verticals and overheads.  If you want something closer to a 4-2-4 break, you will need a bigger tank.  Currently, I like the APC 6x2 prop to give me lap times in the high 4-second region.

DesignMan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here