News:

• May 05, 2024, 06:23:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tap for Nelson Heavy Duty Glowplugs?  (Read 2178 times)

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Tap for Nelson Heavy Duty Glowplugs?
« on: August 02, 2011, 12:35:53 PM »
I understand that Henry Nelson sold the tap for his plugs. Now that he has retired (?) anyone know where you can buy one without spending a fortune? I thought I might try my hand at making some Galbreath type heads for my Coxs. Being a bit of a hoarder, I have lots of burnt out Cox heads!

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tap for Nelson Heavy Duty Glowplugs?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 10:21:05 AM »
I remember seeing a thread on making the tool you need by grinding down a standard tap.  It seems that you drilled out the head to some depth with the correct tap drill size, then finished the threads and seat at the bottom with the tool.

Google might find it for you.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 01:58:11 PM »
  Would that be a 1/4"-32 tap??  That is the size for all others that I have..
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 02:09:37 PM »
Hi Gil,
 I think it is 11/32 x32tpi, which is what threw me. I started to doubt my measurements! I have just found references to the Nelson plug and it is 11/32.
 I also found a reference to getting a tap from MSC Tool Supply. They list over 5000 taps and no search function on the website. My head is sore from looking!

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 05:44:04 PM »
Something to keep in mind that the Nelson plugs are designed to seal on the tapered face of the plug, they are not designed to seal on the threads.  The head needs to have a matching taper at the bottom of the hole to perform as designed.
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 04:33:25 AM »
Thanks Dick!,
  I just hoped that someone would help me out! David, thanks, but I am aware of how the Nelson plugs seal as I already have some Galbreath heads. The actual angle required just happens to be that of a regular twist drill if I am not mistaken. Henry recomends that the angle of the seat should be a few degrees greater than that of the plug. That way one gets a good line seal.
  Mind you using burnt out glow heads is not a s simple as you would think. The Nelson plug needs to be very much recessed in a standard Cox glowhead. Only by doing this can the bottom of the plug be in the same relative position as in the Galbreath head. To be honest, it really is not worth trying to do this if you are an occasional Cox user. I just like the challenge, but if you are not as stupid as myself, just go out and buy the Galbreath heads, they are made from scratch and are very reasonably priced for the work involved!
BMFA Number 64862

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 06:39:00 AM »
Andrew, I have been known to occasionally re-invent the wheel.  Please keep us posted as to your progress.  I for one would like to see the results.  I have kluged together a head for a Fox .049 to use Merlin style plugs.  I have some old Nelson plugs from my pylon racing days collecting dust and would be interested to see what you come up with.
AMA # 2817

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 07:01:21 AM »
         Andrew, one of the problems I was faced with when I tried this was just as you mentioned. In order to get the proper depth of plug, you sacrifice the integrity of the notches for the head wrench. This doesn't mean that you end up machining them off. I was able to do it, but after tightening the Cox head using the factory wrenches, it more or less ripped the notches off of the plug. There was little material left surrounding the top of the plug. It did work though. If you take note of the Galbreath head for instance it is slightly wider than the stock head and the notches are machined with radiused corners. Ken

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 08:14:53 AM »
I have got a tap on order and will start reinventing the wheel when it arrives from the US! Ken, thanks for your comment about the integrity of the head tightening notches. Looks as though the best way would be to machine off the top layer of the Cox head and make the tightening notches much further down the head on a suitably sized head fin (more machining!).
  This really looks like a bit of a mugs game, with the greatest respect to anyone that has tried it. I will soldier on and let you know how it all pans out, at least I know that I am a mug :##

Thanks everyone,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 08:52:29 AM »
If you have a machine that's capable of threading, it may be easier to just make heads from bar stock.  I made my first head for a standard glo plug by converting a Cox head.  The second I made out of bar stock, and I was happy I did.

Also: you may find that just using a twist drill gives you the correct overall taper, but not a good enough finish -- I suspect that what will happen is that sometimes you'll get a nice finish, and other times you won't.  To do this reliably in production you'd probably want a reamer, and a custom one at that.  But if you can sharpen your own drill bits, you can make sure to keep 'the special one' nice and sharp and clean just for this one task.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 09:21:09 AM »
while on the subject of taps, anyone know the thread pattern for Cox heads?  i measured it once but dont know what i did with it HB~>
AMA # 2817

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 10:33:27 AM »
It's 40TPI, it appears to be a normal North American thread form.  But I can't remember the OD.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here