News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:14:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sullivan plastic tanks for 1/2 a  (Read 1306 times)

Offline ken cook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Sullivan plastic tanks for 1/2 a
« on: March 25, 2007, 02:57:54 PM »
        I own a 1 oz version of the slant tank. Some time ago I saw a picture of a Norvel.074 using a uniflow setup with this tank. I believe it was on SSW. I've been having poor success with a 2 oz version of this type. I'd like to see another picture of this if someone has it available. If this installation is not practical I'd like to try a balloon setup. I'd like to know if people are using a hard plumbed setup internally or the flexible clunk. So far like I said I can't get the clunk to work. I'm only interested in this setup for 1/2 a size planes. Ken Cook

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sullivan plastic tanks for 1/2 a
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 07:32:08 AM »
Ken,
My experience - 1/2A tanks are short, flex tubing in tank needs all the length you can incorporate to allow full motion. If too short it wont flex as much as you want. I have found the provided flex is a little too stiff for the small tanks and doesnot allow full travel. To help minimize this:
Minimize the fuel feed brass tubing length in the tank to allow longer run of flex line.
On the Sullivan slant tank, bend the brass tube slightly, inside the tank, so it allows a straight run of the flex line to the rear of the tank.
Ensure the clunk weight has clearance from rear of tank so it doesnot hang up.
Bias the clunk motion slightly outboard.
I now use a 2 oz. cylindrical, more length/more "flex" in the tank.
This works for me.
Roger 
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 10:18:04 AM »
If you turn a hard cap to fit the neck of the tank, you can use Goop adhesive to glue it in.  Before you do, of course, rig your fuel lines.  Drill the new cap just undersize for fuel hose, and use no brass tube.  This will give you the better part of an inch more of flex.  Goop around the fuel hose for insurance won't hurt.

I then punch through the side of the tank for my uniflo line and rig it so I can change the outlet height slightly by rotating the tube.  Again, slight press fit backed up with Goop.

These modifications save weight, too!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 06:22:16 PM by Larry Renger »
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 04:26:02 PM »
Thanks Larry, good tip!
Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast