Blank
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 12:13:11 AM by Air Master »

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Stunt Chimp
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 08:25:55 PM »
The plastic backplate cost a lot less than the diecast one.  What else?  It actually functions perfectly well and doesn't degrade with age like the old pot-metal ones.  However, there are two versions.  The early ones had a very sharp corner in the bottom of the screw holes, and the back would fracture there.  I fixed that with a small chamfer around the base of each pocket.  No more problems.  Got to wonder where some designers had their "education"!  I name no names, but suspect I know who is the guilty party.  You know who you are!!!   VD~

If you take a magnifier and good lighting, you can actually see whether there is a sharp corner or chamfer in the bottom of the screw pocket.  If no chamfer, be very delicate on tightening the screws.  A possible work-around is to put silicone seal on the screw head and only tighten it very delicately.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 11:03:13 PM »
The back plate mounting screw holes, Larry?

Thanks
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 09:55:43 AM »
No, the sockets for the heads of the screws that hold the tank to the engine were the failure points.   HB~>
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 08:55:49 PM »
Did a google search on the stunt chimp... nice looking little airplane!   I bet I even have all the bits and pieces in my shop to put one or two together... once the kids finish breaking up the exisiting trainers!   
Bob

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 12:19:53 PM »
Rusty,

No doubt in my mind it will fly.

Chuck
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline John Tomlin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 11:20:29 AM »
I too am building one and noticed there are no weight recommendations nor a CG location.  Could someone please advise?

Thanks,

John

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 11:35:43 AM »
The CG on control line models ranges between the leading edge and 1/3rd of the wings chord.  Trainers should be near to the leading edge, combat planes at about the 1/3rd point and stunt models are in between.  This applies to all control line models.

Larry

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 06:38:44 PM »
Installing heavier wheels is another easy way to move the CG forward.

I thought that nose looked a little short to balance properly; glad to hear my eye hasn't entirely left me yet!
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 07:30:47 PM »
The Baby Bee has a short tank and a non-stunt tank, the Golden Bee puts the motor weight out there a little farther - bet that fixes the CG concern!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 07:59:46 PM »
Just glue another peice of plywood plate to the engine mount. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Tomlin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 07:48:49 PM »
Here is mine almost ready for flight.  Still needs clear coat.  Not really sure why, I built it for a buddy to teach him ukie so it will probably have a short life.  LOL  Good it didn't take long to build nor cost much.

John

Offline John Tomlin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 10:19:35 AM »
Finally got around to flying it and it flew well.  My buddy that I built it for was doing good up until he landed on all 4's from getting dizzy.  I was laughing so hard I couldn't stand it.  He stuffed it a couple of times and all it did was break the prop and then while trying a loop, it wound up being a 9 instead and it broke the fuse right behind the wing.  A little CA and she was back up and going.  I think I may build another one to teach my daughter to fly.  She has been working on a 1/2 A Skyray for a year or better.  I told her I wasn't going to build it for her but would help her anywhere she needed it.  Video games and internet are winning so maybe if I build this it will get her interested.  Who knows?????

John

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 11:10:43 AM »
Video games and internet are winning so maybe if I build this it will get her interested.  Who knows?????
I think that in 1000 years, if we aren't all back to plowing with horses, when a kid is born without legs the parents will say "oh good, this means they won't take up so much space on the couch playing video games".  Or maybe when the parents sit down with the kid designer they'll have to argue for functioning legs:

"No honey, my grand-dad had legs that worked, and when the beer-bot broke down he could go to the refrigerator himself and get a can".

"Honestly, dear, I think this fascination of yours with machinery is a bit sick.  Who ever knows what a frerijgeblator looks like, much less where it is".
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 11:43:40 AM »
    %^@  Rusty, I hope that your wife wasn't at home when you sat that model on the drier!!  LOL    %^@
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 02:38:03 PM »
you asked for it!
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Karl Knipper

• Ensign
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 06:06:04 AM »
Those are a couple nice planes. They almost look like the Goldberg Stuntman 23 . I still have one that flys. Its at least 30 years old and looks like Frankenstein, Great trainer ;D

Advertise Here
Tags: 1/2 a  .049 

Advertise Here