News:

• May 04, 2024, 08:21:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sterling Beginner Series 1/2A kits  (Read 5937 times)

Offline Ken Deboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • Silk and Dope
Sterling Beginner Series 1/2A kits
« on: February 01, 2007, 10:58:07 AM »
Does anyone have any of the Sterling Beginner Series 1/2A kits, and if so, be willing to trace the parts and scan the decal and instruction sheet for me? I'm especiall interested in the Focke Wulf, Ringmaster, Ringmaster Bipe, and Thunderjet. Will gladly pay copying costs and postage.

cheers,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
Re: Sterling Beginner Series 1/2A kits
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 06:09:50 PM »
I never had any of the Sterling kits ( I should say I did have the Flying Fool much later) but there were two that always caught my eye. The first was the Ringmaster Bipe One of the beginner series and the Beechcraft Staggerwing. Would love toi get hold of these two myself.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 07:08:08 PM »
Hi Robert,

Although they were the same general size, the Staggerwing was a Sig kit. ;D
It *might* still be available from Sig.  ???  ???

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 07:59:44 PM »
Ken,
There is a ringmaster bipe on e-bay, if you are so inclined.
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 08:20:27 PM »
Bill, your right of course. I simply had a brain spasm I guess. Just scanned those too! Oops! Beech=SIG
Ringmaster Bipe= Sterling

Heh! I still like em both.

Thanks for the heads up on the Ringmaster bipe on ebay. As for myself I have to wait till the tenth before I get my next paycheck and that auction most likely will have passed. Too if it goes high enough I will noty be able to participate anyway. I will watch it though.

Robert

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 09:06:25 PM »
I have seen the Staggerwing Beech come up there quite often, too.  Need to check with Sig to see if they still offer it.

1/2A can really be fun.  I am just "rediscovering it" now! **)

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 09:18:52 PM »
Actually it appears the Sig Beechcraft is indeed still in production. $15.99 not a bad price at all.

Robert

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 09:48:16 PM »
I have seen the Staggerwing Beech come up there quite often, too.  Need to check with Sig to see if they still offer it.

1/2A can really be fun.  I am just "rediscovering it" now! **)

Bill <><

Biggest reason, I'm convinced:  Good reliable strong 1/2A engines; unlike those in my reckless youth.  "These are not your father's 1/2As."

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 09:56:48 PM »
Ouch! I began to go thru the motions of ordering one of the Staggerwings from Sig to see how their shipping costs were and I was shocked! They add 8.95 Shipping charge PLUS actual postage!!! I can see now where it would not do to simply order one single 16 dollar plane...

Robert

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 10:24:45 PM »
Ouch! I began to go thru the motions of ordering one of the Staggerwings from Sig to see how their shipping costs were and I was shocked! They add 8.95 Shipping charge PLUS actual postage!!! I can see now where it would not do to simply order one single 16 dollar plane...

Robert

Try ordering from Sam's Hobbies. I think they charge a little more for the kit but shipping will be a lot less than what Sig charges.

cheers,
Ken

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 09:51:51 PM »
I had the Sig Staggerwing about 20years ago. Flew pretty good with a strong Cox .049.  you just had to be ready when the engine quit, lots of drag so it had a glide of about 10 feet, if you were 10 feet high.  Pretty tuff little bird though.

Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 10:08:08 PM »

Robert

If you have a local hobby shop, it doesn't matter if mainly RC or not, have them ordr one for you.  Just have them add it to their next order from SIG.
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 10:20:06 PM »
I remembered something about the Sterling "Beginner's Series".  As a kid, I had to order stuff from AHC in NYC mostly.  I always wanted to "see" the place! ;D

My oldest son got started through a Cox PT-19, one of the very few RTFs that flew decent!.  He was interested in flying so I knew a "wooden plane" was next. We happened to go to visit my wife's Aunt and Uncle in Brooklyn in the summer of '86, staying a week.  Two places I was going to have to go to: Yankee Stadium and AHC!

We made the trip to AHC first.  We went in and it was a very large building with a rather smallish "showroom".  They were still running the "combo" deals of a kit and engine.  Aaron picked out the Sterlng Beginner's Series Zero which came with a Testors McCoy .049!  We still have the bright orange shopping bag they put it in, and the plane survived! ;D  Maybe his son will fly it in a few years, he's two now and loves the planes. y1

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 11:19:01 PM »
Quote by Bill Heher:
"you just had to be ready when the engine quit, lots of drag so it had a glide of about 10 feet, if you were 10 feet high."

That is the down side of bipes in control line flying unfortunatly. Also unfortunate is my love for the bipes. I just dig them!
As for the Sterling Beginner series I guess the one I want most of all (trying my best to stay on topic with the thread here) would have to be the Fokker D7. That plane is sweet!

Great story Mr. Little, I wish I could say I had seen the showroom such as it was... Every time I saw one of those ads, pretty much once a month, I would have to see what was on sale at prices I could not imagine!

Tom, excellent advice but alas I live in a small town that has no hobby shop nearby. There is one in Lincoln (they actually have 2 Hobbytown USA stores) and I visit nearly every time I can get a ride there. Transportation is a problem for me unfortunatly. I suppose I could see if I could pre-pay for it and try to see if they can hold it for me. Problem is again transportation. There would be no telling when I could get back up that way again. It has been about 2 months since I have been there and I am not sure when my next opportunity will arise.
I was asked if I wanted to go yesterday and I said sure but it never happened. something came up he said. So...
Still I think it would be my best option. To pre-pay and get them to hold it for me till I can return.

Robert   

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 03:44:13 AM »
virginiahobbysport.com lists the Sig 1/2a Staggerwing Beech for $17.20 and the shipping charge is actual postage.  I've only ordered from them once.  I called in the order on a friday morning.  Put a money order in the mail that afternoon.  Exactly what I ordered came in the mail the next thursday.  Less than a week turnaround. I was impressed.  Also when I called in the order, the person who took the order seemed to really know what she was doing.  Actually checked to be sure each item was in stock before totaling up the order.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 03:35:30 PM »
Thanks Wayne, I have heard much good of virginiahobbysport.com and look forward to doing buisness with them.
Still I need some other things from Sig and I may just hold off till I get some money together and make one order out of it.

Anyone have the plans for the Sterling D7? I have seen what those things go for on ebay and I am shocked how high they go!

Robert
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 04:37:30 PM by Robert McHam »

Offline Leroy Heikes

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 11:00:37 AM »
Ken;
    I have a Sterling Thunder Jet in the box at home. I think the fuselage is punched out, but all of the parts are there. The wood wing is warped. It is left over from when my cousin and I built almost all of the beginner series. My favorite was the Spitfire his was the FW 190. We used to fly them in combat against each other using toilet paper for streamers. We usually ended up breaking both airplanes and having to go home to fix them so we could fly again the next day.

Leroy

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 08:35:16 PM »
Robert, I don't know where you are located, but Sig's additional "actual postage" does not apply in the US.  If you are not in the United States, yes, they charge extra.  You are sure right about it not paying to order a single small item, but that seems to be the problem with most any mail order.  Try Virginia Hobbysports maybe, they only charge actual shipping.  It always is at least $4, though, since they use USPS and that is about the cheapest rate.  At least when I get something from them, the shipping charge is always the exact postage that is on the package so it don't feel that they are making money on shipping. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Douglas Babb

• What goes through your mind first as a line breaks?
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 10:13:07 AM »
I wonder if any one picked up the beginner series line or did estes get them and are just not going to produce them. I think I have half the series to my credit along with Midwest and Goldberg kits. They were quick to build and fix plus the price was reasonable for a kid on an allowance. A local hobby shop would run a special for a kit, baby bee, tube of cement and two bottles of dope for $8.00 age 13 and under so a lot of us were able to get into it rather cheap.

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 09:23:44 AM »
Update on on ordering the Sig Staggerwing Beech:
I was able to get into Lincoln to one of the (two) Hobbytown USA stores and I was told that they had not had the Staggerwing in stock since 1997!
They had not ordered anything from Sig in a long time.
The price if they had it would be $19.99
I would need to talk to the manager (Dan) about ordering.   
The help was friendly and courteous and helpful to this extent.
Reading between the lines I felt that they really did not want to have much to do with Sig Mfg.  but if I insist on placing the order they would do so. This is purely conjecture of course.

Please keep in mind that ordering this plane is something that I will eventually do but I have other priorities and projects currently pending.
I do appreciate the helpful advice given by all regarding this plane!

Quote by Douglas Babb:
"I wonder if any one picked up the beginner series line or did estes get them and are just not going to produce them."

I wonder the same thing about these and others like the Top Flite HalfA Form Flites.

Robert

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 07:27:30 AM »
I remembered something about the Sterling "Beginner's Series".  As a kid, I had to order stuff from AHC in NYC mostly.  I always wanted to "see" the place! ;D
My oldest son got started through a Cox PT-19, one of the very few RTFs that flew decent!.  He was interested in flying so I knew a "wooden plane" was next. We happened to go to visit my wife's Aunt and Uncle in Brooklyn in the summer of '86, staying a week.  Two places I was going to have to go to: Yankee Stadium and AHC!
We made the trip to AHC first.  We went in and it was a very large building with a rather smallish "showroom".  They were still running the "combo" deals of a kit and engine.  Aaron picked out the Sterlng Beginner's Series Zero which came with a Testors McCoy .049!  We still have the bright orange shopping bag they put it in, and the plane survived! ;D  Maybe his son will fly it in a few years, he's two now and loves the planes. y1

Bill <><

Bill,

I had the same feeling when I was in the Navy. It was 1962 and I took a train from the New London, CT Submarine base to NYC. It had a small (disappointing) show room then too.

Last time I was at AHC, they were moving into their present location on 30th street. Anna (wife) and I had taken the train to Penn station and spent the day in NYC. From Penn station, exit onto either 7th or 8th Ave and go down one block to 30th St. It is between 7th and 8th so turn appropriately. They were still moving in when I was there and they had mostly electric RC cars on display at the time. The only CL stuff I saw was a couple of those Sterling 1/2A kits. Perhaps they have more stuff now.

Oh yes, the showroom is much bigger. They had a sales/display case at the entrance and a service (I think) desk in the rear. Perhaps the rear desk was for showing items not on display.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 07:57:07 AM »
Hi George,

I had no idea that AHC was still in business!   I thought they closed down..........

Next time I am in NYC, I will check it out!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline George

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 08:10:13 AM »
It was about six years ago that I was there, but here is their online site (dated 2007):

http://www.ahc1931.com/store/index.php

Only the items that show quantity can be displayed so I'm guessing that the site is in progress.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007, 07:01:34 PM »
News flash!

I will soon be the owner of a couple of nice biplanes!
I just closed the deal on a Sterling Beginners Fokker and placed  my order from Sig on the Beechcraft Staggerwing. I need to add that the Beechcraft went from $15.99 to $18.99 so I was not too pleased that I waited so long but I had no choice.

I am rather pleased with the deal I got on the Fokker. Won it on the bay for under twenty dollars. I think everyone was asleep for that one. The last Beginners Fokker D7 went for $30.00. Even so not a terrible price to pay.

Now if they will get here soon!

Robert 

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 09:45:31 PM »
If you have access to a scanner you can put the punched out pieces on it with a small ruler for scale and scan the parts. Then you have ready back-up templates if you need to make replacement parts, and you can e-mail it easily to guys like me that would love to build one!

Scan the decals too!
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline George

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2007, 08:41:12 AM »
And if you don't have a scanner you should trace the parts on the back side of the plans or on a separate sheet so you can make replacement parts.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2007, 07:28:11 AM »
I am glad I don't have one of those all in one scanners!

Robert

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2007, 01:05:51 PM »
I have a Ringmaster Bipe from the beginners series. It's built and is bright yellow.Sorry no pictures, It was in an exhibit at a store for a few years and they had damaged the rudder. It has been repaired reasonably well. At any rate I will never fly it and will certainly sell it to someone who wants one to fly I'd prefer to keep my new golden bee thats on it though.
Dennis

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2007, 07:45:41 PM »
My Sig order arrived today complete!

I say this because I have read where several other customers have not gotten complete orders and not been notified of out of stock items when the orders were placed. Not the case here.

The only complaint I have is that I ordered an extra hardware pack for the Staggerwing in case I want to try and duplicate this baby without buying another complete kit. I did get the "hardware pack" but it fell short of what I expected.
Any one care to guess what was in it? Or I should rather ask, What you would expect to be in  the hardware pack for the Staggerwing?

Robert

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2007, 11:40:54 PM »
Well looky here people! Guess what I found?

3432    S43 Beginner Fockewulf   $24.29
3431    S34 Beginner Spitfire        $24.29
3430    S40 Beginner Cherokee     $24.29
3428    S36 Beginner Piper Cub      $24.29
3427    S41 Beginner Fokker D-7  $24.29

As for trying to copy the parts of these it might be wise for the future but as long as you can buy the original stuff brand new why try to make duplicates when they are so reasonable.
Take for instance the decals for the Sig Beechcraft. ya gotta see them to appreciate how very nice they really are. On top of this you can buy the original decal set from sig for a measly dollar and ninty nine cents!
As for trying to duplicate the Staggerwing's decals some of it is metallic. That problem in itself would be difficult as I see it. I just don't see how you could get around it for under 2 bucks!
Go on! Take the plunge like I did! Lets get some build threads going!

I love being a cheapo. Ask anyone who knows me! I love finding ways to do more with less and using alternative sources to combat some of the more expensive aspects of this hobby.
Which reminds me. I need to start a thread  on what you can do with those fake credit cards we all get through the mail and most of us just throw away as though it were junk...

Robert

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2007, 08:32:24 AM »
Robert,
I'm interested in the Cherokee and Focke Wulf. Please check your PM.

Ken

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2007, 09:29:43 AM »
Ken, That list is actually from a supplier of good note! I have yet to deal with them but I doubt it will be long before I do. They are heavy into control line and we should do all we can to support them as they support us with items not easily found elsewhere!

These kits I assume are New in box as you would expect from a supplier.

virginiahobbysport.com

Let us all know how service is from them and  do a build thread on them! We all want to see! Well, I do anyways!

Robert

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2007, 09:50:10 AM »
Robert,
Thanks for the info, I just ordered a Focke Wulf. I'll post pics when I get it.

cheers,
Ken

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2007, 07:46:21 PM »
Good for you Ken!

I was not trying to keep the info on the kit's source a secret but I wanted to see if anyone may have noticed there was no addy. I did not take into consideration that someone may have thought I myself had these kits in hand.

I just hope that those who had posted earlier and also those who later read this thread find this and take part!

Robert

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2007, 07:33:47 PM »
Got the Focke Wulf kit today from Virginia Hobby Sport. Surprised it got here so fast - just ordered it Friday. USPS must have new Dodge Hemis in their trucks:) Unfortunately, the decal in the kit was the wrong one. Does anyone need a decal sheet for the Beginners Fokker D-VII (S-41)? So, I'm still looking for a decal sheet for the S-43 kit. Swastikas and Crosses probably easy to do on computer, the red and white nose emblem probably not TOO difficult, but the rudder decal not doable, at least not by me. Wood and die cutting quality is typical of Sterling kits I've built before. Will make templates then build. It's going to be fun. Now I just need to find a Baby Bee to put on it.

cheers,
Ken

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2007, 08:03:26 PM »
oh! By the way, I got my Fokker D7 in the mail as well. It was factiory sealed and contained some surprises as well.
Most Sterling models I ever bought were quite well packaged with every thing being just so, with the exception of the wood quality and some die crunching.
This kit was very well die cut and the wood quality superb! Not as good as laser cut mind you but much better than most. Wood is straight, very light in color, no warps, with very long grains in the wood that is very strong, but still pretty light.

Mine came with 2 identical  sets of building instructions and one set of the correct decals! Somehow the box was in great shape and colors still (in my mind) bright but the instructions inside were yellowed some with age.
No major dissapointments.

Robert

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2007, 01:45:24 PM »
Hi Robert,
Would you be willing to trace the parts of the D7 and send them to me? If so I'd gladly pay postage and handling. I have that decal sheet I'd like to make use of:)

Thanks,
Ken

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here