News:

• May 01, 2024, 12:35:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starter for Small Motors  (Read 477 times)

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Starter for Small Motors
« on: January 15, 2020, 04:31:30 PM »
Over on Cox Forum, Levent Suberk came up with a nifty, home-made starter for his Cox motors. I took his idea, modified it (of course!), and came up with the following. It works well.

The motor is a beefy, three-volt DC critter from some kind of hand-held vacuum cleaner. No other ratings shown on it. But I set it up for my 12-volt panel anyway, figuring that the off center mass in the coupler and the short-burst runs wouldn't allow it to over-rev or heat up. Good to go for the hard-to-start, Tee Dee-type motors under the varying temperature and humidity conditions 'round these parts.

Dave Mo...

It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Starter for Small Motors
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 06:22:31 PM »
Hey, that's kind of cute!
You may want to use two hose clamps with the worm gears 180* apart. That way they'll cancel each other out to minimize the wobble. It may help the rubber bushing stay centered on the prop during cranking.

Have you tried it yet?

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Starter for Small Motors
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 11:51:24 AM »
Jim:

Thanks. Yes, my bench test indicated good operation, even with the imbalance. Am running the starter a third or half of second, just as one would expect a spring starter to operate. Shakes neither the plane nor the hand much at all.

Dave Mo...
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here