News:

• May 05, 2024, 11:01:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spare parts for the AP Wasp  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Spare parts for the AP Wasp
« on: July 11, 2012, 01:28:23 PM »
I was reading a topic on the Barton Forum. The chap involved gave a link to an outfit called Global Services, for AP 09 spares. I clicked on it and eventuallly found their spares list for the AP Wasp 0.61. It seemed comprehensive and inexpensive.
So if you need spares for your Wasp, give them a try. Crankcases were listed at $15. Now I know someone was looking for a spare case some time ago, Kenneth?

Regards,

Andrew
BMFA Number 64862

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Spare parts for the AP Wasp
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
                Thank you Andrew, I unfortunately gave up on the AP Wasp. I was trying to find a inexpensive engine to use in 1/2A combat. I can say with all honesty, I did find just that. You get what you pay for. I never played with an engine so much for so long to try and make it work. I had the crankcase rebushed with a new bronze bearing and several other attempts at making this the runner I desired. The plug blowing problems were overwhelming and expensive mainly due to the POS fit of the crank to the case. I think all those vibes would just rattle the guts out of my plugs. Even after the new bushing was installed, I had nothing but problems. The unavailability of parts just made the engine a shelf queen and that's were it sits now.

I have a new in the box unit sitting next to it as well. I didn't tend to realize until it's later that I should've just went with what just works such as the Norvel .061 AME-AMD and I certainly would've been happier. I spent enough in plugs that I could've purchased another engine.  I'd  like to think that my experience with the AP was isolated, but this discussion came up this past weekend with a few others that have tried it for 1/2A combat. Everyone agreed that this engine was of no value to us due to the problems we all faced using it. After running Profi's and Cyclon's you really wonder why one would put yourself through the misery of trying to run any other engines. Ken
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 06:47:46 AM by kenneth cook »

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
Re: Spare parts for the AP Wasp
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 07:27:35 AM »
Hello Ken,
I made a mistake! The crankcase was $12! You have discussed the AP Wasp problems with me some time ago. Having disassembled and checked /cleaned my Wasp collection I would agree with your basic conclusions. The fits and finishes leave a lot to be desired. I rejected one engine that had so much clearence in the bushing, that the prop rocked as good as any worn out McCoy or Fox!
Credit where credit is due, all my Wasps had excellent piston / liner fits. I can forgive a lot of problems if AP got this correct! In actual practice, all of my engines run well (I have a couple more that need running, but they can stay in the box for now!).If you are looking for a cheap sort of 1/2A engine for stunt, then they give better performance than say the Cox TD 0.51. They don't appear to be as finicky either when setting up the needle (I use Jan's set up). I have not worn one out yet and because I am not extracting as much rpm as Ken, I don't see the problems that he does.
Is a Norvel better? The answer is a definite yes! However if I buy them from the distributor in the US, then with postage, handling charge and customs dues, plus Royal Mail charges for collecting the customs dues(!), they are a very expensive engine for me! I have a few, purchased NIB and good used from the US and UK and I am very happy with them. Profis and Cyclons are a bit over the top for me. I am not interested in combat or contest work and they are not cheap! But then you get what you pay for! An AP Wasp in a small stunt job is pretty good in my opinion. Horses for courses, as it were!

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here