News:

• May 08, 2024, 11:02:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Snip combat ship  (Read 971 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Snip combat ship
« on: April 12, 2020, 11:45:05 PM »
I posted these over in the CEF in the thread that was started by someone else, but figured people over here might be interested.  Sorry if the pics are a little big, but I just copied everything over from the CEF thread.

CEF member Aspeed posted the plans, so I printed out to size and cut out the rib templates.  I thought about using the scroll saw for the ribs, but since there were only a few I decided to do them by hand.  I used a glue stick to stick the templates to some scrap 1/8” light ply and cut them out.  Then I used some thin CA to harden the edges so the X-Acto knife wouldn’t cut into them when I cut the ribs.  I found some pieces of balsa big enough in my scrap pile to make all the ribs.

The engine nacelle is 1¼” wide, so I grabbed a piece of ½” scrap and a piece of ¼” scrap and made a sandwich with the ¼” piece in the middle.  I glued the engine nacelle template to this and then shaped it.  For time’s sake, I decided to just use power tools, rather than hand form it.

Then I used more…. wait for it…. scrap wood to make the rest of the small parts. 

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Snip combat ship
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 11:50:37 PM »
Looking in the scrap boxes, I had almost everything I’d need to finish.  What I didn’t have was the exact spar material.  I needed 1/8” x1/4” balsa sticks, which I didn’t have.  But I did have a 1/8”x1/2” stick that was long enough, so out came the balsa stripper.  If Y’all haven’t got one of these in your tool kit, you should get one.  It’s something that I waited entirely too long to acquire.

Then it was just putting it all together.  Here’re the L.E/T.E./bottom pieces installed:

And the upper spar installed:

And ready to cover:

The yellow covering is the last of some of the new, poor quality MonoKote I had, and the red is something that was in the bottom of the box, but I don’t know exactly what it is.  No markings on the roll. 

The finished weight is a little more than I was hoping for at 5.25 ounces, but it’ll still zip on an .049.  I’m not sure if I’ll stick with this engine.  I have a Golden Bee, or I have an anodized red stunt tank I can put on something.  Don’t know how I’ll go with this.  Maybe I’ll just leave it as is.  Who knows.  I was right when I though it looked nose heavy.  I cut the nose down 1/8” from what the plans said, and it’s still a tad nose heavy.   Ah, well.  It’s done now.

This is why I like scratch building from old plans.  I get a plane that looks like no other.  And using scraps helps get rid of the materials laying around.  So now that it’s finished, it needs a name.  What name for a plane built from leftovers that I scratched from a magazine page?  Why, "Scrap ‘N Snip" of course!

Mark

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 06:53:03 AM »
why be stuck with a nose heavy slug .how hard would it be to make a couple longer booms and end up with a good flying plane S?P
rad racer

Offline JamesSims

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 08:41:06 AM »
Very nice. I like it...a lot. - JB
-JB
AMA118742
TORKS member
Tom Jones Memorial Model Airfield, OKC

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 10:58:56 AM »
why be stuck with a nose heavy slug .how hard would it be to make a couple longer booms and end up with a good flying plane S?P

Not hard.  But it'd be easier to do a little math, then take a razor saw to the nose and move the engine back...  The c.g. is right at 15%, so it's not bad for a simple sport flyer. We'll see.

Mark

Offline Rick Bollinger

• Commander
  • AMA 931589
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 09:16:00 PM »
This was one of my favorite planes from when I was a kid. A few years ago I pulled out the old parts that I had left and scratch built another one and enjoy flying it as well. I have 3 new old stock kits on display in my shop.
Rick Bollinger
AMA 931589

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 07:57:30 AM »
Lil' Snip's are fine little airplanes. Go best with a TD on pressure. Quick, simple bild, lots of fun!

A pic of a couple of Snip-based survivors stashed in the closet from back in the day.

Andre

Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 06:45:56 PM »
   What's the story on the Lil' Snip? Who kitted it or was it published? I think I have one in my 1/2A kit stack. Midwest?? It's hell to get old!
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 09:34:03 PM »
Yes, Midwest kitted it.

As drawn, the TD version had a LONG nose moment. I shorted all of my Snip-based TD powered planes. My Snip-based airplanes pictured above (that I called the "Cheap Trick") were originally built for Black Widow combat, but as you can see, I refitted them for bladder and a TD and used them fighting the OKC boys waaay back in the mid-80s. Those two pictured above are the only survivors. A light built Snip w/TD and bladder weighs about 4- 4.5 oz. They're really a nice little airplane.

Andre

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 08:30:04 AM »
Yes, Midwest kitted it.

As drawn, the TD version had a LONG nose moment. I shorted all of my Snip-based TD powered planes. My Snip-based airplanes pictured above (that I called the "Cheap Trick") were originally built for Black Widow combat, but as you can see, I refitted them for bladder and a TD and used them fighting the OKC boys waaay back in the mid-80s. Those two pictured above are the only survivors. A light built Snip w/TD and bladder weighs about 4- 4.5 oz. They're really a nice little airplane.

Andre

Hey Mingster;
           I checked and I do have a Midwest kit. Yours look like they have longer tail booms?  There is a guy over in the classifieds looking for a Sterling Viper that has a very similar diamond shaped airfoil. I can remember at least one combat model published that also had a diamond shaped airfoil back in the day, and also reading that this shape for the airfoil wasn't the best for a stunt or combat ship?? I think I am remembering this correctly. I was surprised at the size of the Snip, bigger than the Kombat Kittens, Goldberg Lil Satans and the like that I used to build as a kid. I just might have to try one. Thanks for posting the pictures.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 07:12:43 AM »
Hi Dan:

What you're seeing in the pics is my effort to take the basic Snip platform (wing/airfoil), and modify it so it was ultra easy to fabricate and build. As kitted, the Snip isn't exactly a quick build, what with a hinged tail/etc.

As I messed with the design, I ended up with longer tail booms to make them a more stable for a 1/2A. Here's a pic of one of my experiments using shorter booms. (And sort of had an intentional "mini-Voodoo" look to it.)

The two "Cheap Trick's" in my post above were originally built in a batch "Cheap Trick's" for powering with Black Widow's for cheap combat flying with the family/whomever. (Thus have provision for the tank mounted Black Widow's.) The leftovers from that batch got fitted with bladder tubes, and using a Brown fiber beam mount, used TD's on them and flew 'em in hooligan matches against the combat group in OKC that were active at the time. (mid-80s.)

Diamond airfoil magazine articles:

The "Fox Feathers" was another diamond airfoil mag article.

Andre

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here