Author Topic: Snark  (Read 2508 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Snark
« on: March 07, 2015, 12:08:09 PM »
Hi Guys,

Did Scientific or Enterprise or ?? ever do a 1/2A of the "Snark" guided missile??  I think I remember one from my youth but am not sure.........

Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline david beazley

• Captain
Re: Snark
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 03:35:11 PM »
Scientific, I believe did one.  Walt Musciano designed if I am not mistaken.  Check with Currell Pattie for plans.
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 04:18:48 PM »
I had one of those from scientific. Of course I was a teenager when I Had the first one. There  is a lot of work getting all of the extra wood out of that long fuselage. The highly swept back wing and small tail surfaces precludes anything more than straight and level. climb and dive and mild wing over with a high pull out. But it sure did look good in Red with white decals. Had another kit and an avid collector in NY state got it from me about 10 years ago.

Dennis

Offline Randy James

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 03:25:15 PM »

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 03:46:42 PM »
Sorry. That is not the Snark Kit. The Snark was an early winged guided missile. it had a real 'cool' factor to it.

Dennis

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 04:34:06 PM »
The Snark must of been a bear to fly with such small control surfaces and  thin wing. Probably tldo just fine with a 3 lap take off and nice level flight but that's just a guess. Does anyone have any hands on flight experience?
Tally ho
Rosie
PS I hope I am wrong
Richard "Rosie" Rosenau Jr, Yelm WA, USA

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 01:00:52 AM »
I had a Snark when I was a kid........well a smaller one than I am now!  #^ It took off quickly enough on a stock Babe Bee and flew round & round and that's all. I can remember adding an OS Pet carb with a short rubber tube to the intake hole at the back of the tank with an extra line for a "sort-of" throttle control to make the round & round stuff more interesting. It was the picture on the  box that attracted me and I actually had a lot of fun with it. Most of the Scientific planes were known at that time to fly o.k. with the Babe Bee screaming, and as soon as it quit, the glide was like a homesick elevator. At that time the Goldberg models were a better bet. My personal favourite at that time was the Stuntman. The Jumping Bean was a little better, but then you had to build up a ribbed wing and cover the thing.

Even at the age of 15 I enjoyed experimenting.....and still do! I designed my own flat wing stunter and added flaps to it. I called it Rebel because it was different. It seemed to fly very well, and I thought that Carl Goldberg should kit it, so I wrote him a letter and sent him the plans. I never thought that he would reply to this kid out here in Darkest Africa, but I sent it anyway. A couple of weeks later, I had a hand-written reply from Carl himself. It took a long time for that smile to get off my face! He told me that with the huge interest in R/C models at that time, they would not be able to add my design to their kits, but he thanked me kindly for sending the plans. it was such a nice letter and I just wish that I still had it. I did not take many photo's in those days, because it was hard enough trying to get enough bucks to fly my toys, but I do have one of that Rebel that I've attached.

Keith R

Keith R

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 09:52:31 AM »
   Cool story Keith! And that is a quite handsome model. Do you still happen to have plans for it? I'm sure I would not be the only one interested in a set. I got to meet Carl Goldberg at the Lincoln , Nebraska NATS in 1982 or '83 and it was a real highlight for me of that trip.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 11:11:13 AM »
Thanks Dan, by all accounts Carl Goldberg was a real gentleman, and it's great that you got to meet him. I don't have any of the drawings from that time any more but I'm pretty sure that I could draw them again. It's a very basic model so I'll give it a go. It would most likely fly better without the flaps but I'll include both options.

Keith R
Keith R

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 01:48:48 PM »
Good! I hope you post it here so we can print out a set for ourselves.

I can see that as a double size with a 46 in it! Maybe a little more.

Jerry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here