News:

• May 22, 2024, 06:32:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Small, light and secure. Line connectors.  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Robert McHam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Small, light and secure. Line connectors.
« on: June 15, 2009, 05:57:48 PM »
Ok, I cannot find the thread, nor can I remember where I read it so I am hoping someone can help me with this.

I did a search and could not find what I was looking for.
Someone had mentioned using a small fishing connector or possibly made his own after seeing the fishing connector.
After looking myself in the tiny fishing dept or the local wallyworld I found the Eagle Claw brand Micro leaders. They are eight inches long and have the tiny barrel swivel on one end and the snap connector on the other. Price wasn't bad. less than two dollars for three of them but I don't need the swivel or leader. Just the connectors.

These are lighter, simpler and more secure that the perfect 1/2A connectors we are familiar with.
Help?

Robert   
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Rod Lamer

• Ensign
Re: Small, light and secure. Line connectors.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 06:38:49 PM »
What I use is  Norman Speed Clips, They are available at Bass Pro, in I think three sizes. My guys at the club will probably crap when they see these. They aren't cheap, but are VERY strong.
AMA 906421

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 09:14:33 AM »
RSM stocks the Luer-Jensen snaps (that is what the fishy types call clips) to use with the Ultimate Handle.  I also get them from Turners Outdoorsman and a local fishing store that will special order any size (they go from nearly invisible to Moby Dick sizes)
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 10:04:10 AM »
Larry, That is the exact style that is on my Eagle Claw Micro Leaders.
http://www.luhrjensen.com/products/accessories/duo-lock-snaps

Says they are offered from 30 to 100 lb sizes.

thanks, Robert

Offline Rod Lamer

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 06:35:01 PM »
I was going to use those (I have many), but thought that they weren't safe because they had a small piece of the clip on the outside of the clip. HUH. Sorry I'm still learning. Thanks guys.
AMA 906421

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 08:08:32 PM »
Sad to say Rod, they aren't safe for the fish!

Robert

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 01:40:37 PM »
Larry, That is the exact style that is on my Eagle Claw Micro Leaders.
http://www.luhrjensen.com/products/accessories/duo-lock-snaps

Says they are offered from 30 to 100 lb sizes.

thanks, Robert
al source.
This is the second time I seen these talked about on this board.  I have yet to find a source for them.  The web site above has no contact info as to how much $ or where to get them.  Does anyone have an actual source?  HB~>
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 02:02:19 PM »
John, I think most competent sporting goods stores will carry these. Also that big auction site has a number of these. Just do a search for " duolock snaps " and you can buy them by the hundred.
#1 or #2 would be best I think. #3 is for 40 lb test and would be OK but I would go for smaller if I could.

Robert

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 09:29:50 PM »
That big auction Site - The one I love to hate does have them by the hundreds.  I need big ones and small ones.  Buy two and save on shipping!!!  You get a 100 at a pop.  This way I can supply my on hole club.  The big question is will CDs at the Nats accept them?
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 07:59:35 AM »
Do as I did when I was in doubt about the lines  for my carrier of years ago with electric throttle control.  I made up a really short set to test.  Scales hanging from the floor joices in the basement.  The lines hooked to a five gallon bucket.   Started adding wheel weights until the lines gave.  They surpassed the required maximum pull of 100 pounds that you have to pull if the plane weighs four pounds exactly.  Over four pounds the plane would not be allowed to fly.  I actually did tests twice, first was using the scissor clips which every body says is required.  The second test was with the old large Perfect slide clips.  Both tests went past the 100 pound pull. 

By the way the second test was with scales anchored to a chain from the floor joices so it would make so much racket when the bucket hit the floor.  Now if they pass pull test they should be legal, but, with law suits and such the AMA rules are to be met.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here