News:

• May 07, 2024, 11:45:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Skywriter stunt plane--finished pics (lots of pics)  (Read 2350 times)

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Skywriter stunt plane--finished pics (lots of pics)
« on: October 02, 2007, 08:20:47 PM »
OK here it is, all done and ready to go: Skywriter (recycled name, too bad, I'm using it anyhow) profile non-flapped stunt plane.  30" span, 200 sq. in MOL, 8.5 oz.--about 1 oz. over my target weight, next one will be closer. 

First test flights will be with the Norvel .049 shown on it, I think it should pull it OK on 35' lines.  Of course I will sooner or later hang one of my .061s on it with longer lines, and let 'er rip, just to see how it does.

Lots and lots of pictures: I know, tank mount is somewhat less than elegant--truth is, I forgot to install holddown wires before I put the inboard cheek on, and didn't have the heart to cut it back off.  If it seems worthwhile (read: flies well), I'll put some screw-in hooks in.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
Re: Skywriter stunt plane--finished pics (lots of pics)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 09:32:26 PM »
Really, really nice Ray!

It has a very distinct look and the white trim on the wing accents the profile well. Good job!

Did you have to add any weight to aid in balancing? I am assuming of course your final weight is a balanced plane.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 07:59:53 AM »
Looks good Ray.  That .049 will pull it fine on 35' lines.  I've been flying my Green Giant with a 30" span with a Norvel .049 since I pile drived my .061 Wasp.  It seems to fly pretty good, although a little sluggish.  But it weighs about 2 - 3 oz more than your skywriter so you should have no issues.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 08:25:07 AM »
Thanks guys...

Robert, no weight required for balancing--I adjusted the engine location after it was built.  final weight includes overmuch tip weight which will be reduced as needed on the first few flights, so final final weight should be closer to 8 oz.

I put a 3" bellcrank in it with a very short pushrod arm and nearly 180 d. of bellcrank movement, for slower controls. That gives me close to 3" of leadout movement from lock to lock. Idea being it will help counteract the typical 1/2A "twitchiness" and make for more precise maneuvering, more like a stunt ship and less like a combat wing. I can widen line spacing at the handle if need be to adjust control speed. Further reports on this after flights.

John, I'm working on a prototype combat plane using your no-spar diamond airfoil.  It certainly presents an unorthodox appearance! which appeals to me.  Just FYI.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 09:48:15 AM »
Cool, I look forward to seeing it.  I tell you something else I've found out about building without spars.  Since the plane is less rigid, extreme crashes seem to be less destructive.  Guess it acts more like a spring. 

I'm on the road the rest of this week and hunting on Sat (missed opening day of Duck season today , D@MMIT!!!) so it will be Sunday before I can fly my Confederate Twin again.  I fixed the torn wing on Monday and found some 60 lb Spider Wire.  I know it won't break it, did a pull test on the porch Monday afternoon.  Ain't no way its gonna break.  Used 2 overhand knots to tie it off with no slipping incurred.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 12:20:39 PM »
Actually, John, I'm using a single interior spar, since it's a combat wing and subject to some pretty severe G's.  I'll show you when I get it framed up (just now cutting ribs).

IMO you would really be better off using a Palomar knot to tie off the Spiderwire...standard overhand knots will either slip or let the Spiderwire cut itself.  'Course, 60# is probably so much overkill it won't be a problem.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 09:05:01 AM »
When I use Spiderwire, I just put a dot of CA glue on the knot.  Never a failure.

Great looking plane - yet again!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 04:14:25 PM »
When I use Spiderwire, I just put a dot of CA glue on the knot.  Never a failure.

Great looking plane - yet again!

Thank you, Larry! 

The CA is a good idea--I've never tried it but it sounds like it would work.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 06:11:57 PM »
thats purdy and a nice size

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 11:24:35 AM »
Ray, I'm interested in building a 1/2A plane for a Brodak .049II. Using 35' lines exclusively. Your LilGeo and Skywriter interest me. I saw the LilGeo on your web page but did not see any means to order it anything else from you. What is the procedure?
What are your thoughts on using the Brodak.049II on either of these two planes.
Jerry Bohn

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 01:48:10 PM »
Ray, I'm interested in building a 1/2A plane for a Brodak .049II. Using 35' lines exclusively. Your LilGeo and Skywriter interest me. I saw the LilGeo on your web page but did not see any means to order it anything else from you. What is the procedure?
What are your thoughts on using the Brodak.049II on either of these two planes.

Oops, I read the other thread first...sorry.

The Brodak .049 mk II should be plenty of engine for the LilGeo--the prototype flew well with a Cox production .049 reed valve. It's a fairly small plane.

The SkyWriter is still in development, NA as yet. But it is designed with decent .049 power in mind.

Email me for details. ray.stone@gmail.com

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 02:13:32 PM »
Thanks Ray, I'll contact you when I'm ready to order the LilGeo and get the .049II.
I do have a Cox Baby Bee.049. I consider that very low power. What do you think of that for the LilGeo?
Jerry Bohn

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 03:44:31 PM »
Thanks Ray, I'll contact you when I'm ready to order the LilGeo and get the .049II.
I do have a Cox Baby Bee.049. I consider that very low power. What do you think of that for the LilGeo?

IMO you consider right! It would fly it as well as it flies anything...the LilGeo will weigh only about 7 oz., and 2 of that is engine. As I said, the prototype was tested with a Production engine of about that same power.  On 35' lines it works well. 

Biggest problem you'd have with the Babe Bee is the lack of a stunt-vented tank as well as insufficient fuel capacity. I have a PeeWee .020 with same tank venting that allows a figure eight, etc., only when the tank is mostly full (read: within the first 6 or 8 laps). Try anything inverted after that and the flight's over--fuel quickly drains out of the two vents.  I suppose a guy could plug one of them after fueling and make a sort of semi-uniflow that might work better.

The Cox Production engine (I'm referring to that $6.95 special) uses an external tank so avoids those problems.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 11:43:42 AM »
For a Babe Bee with two fuel nipples, or a Pee Wee, run fuel tubing from one nipple, under the tank to the other nipple. Put a hole in the tubing at the bottom. Voila!

Later Babe Bees came with one vent hole and one nipple, the last ones with plastic backplate also used one nipple and a vent hole. I understand you can cap the nipple and fuel will not run out of the vent when inverted. Haven't tried it.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here