News:

• May 08, 2024, 02:52:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SkyWriter Ready for trial run!  (Read 1273 times)

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
SkyWriter Ready for trial run!
« on: June 15, 2008, 07:56:07 AM »
SkyWriter from Minnesota Modeler,  Norvel .061,  balloon should hold about an ounce of fuel, total weight less fuel 10.3 oz.  Sig 6 inch canopy cut down to hold balloon. Looks a lot better than pic shows.  Hope to trim out this afternoon!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
Re: SkyWriter Ready for trial run!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 05:57:54 PM »
Verrry nice! Perfect for St. Patrick's Day!

I would not ask anyone to wait that long to get her in the air.

Awaiting your results!

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 04:01:33 AM »
Wow!!  No adjustments needed other than move the pushrod to a more neutral hole in the control horn. This plane will do it all!! All that i can do anyway!!  Inside loops, outside loops , inverted, figure 8, with no hestitation from the engine at all, just kinda glided through manuevers. I am so pleased with the results. Flew on 35 foot lines in the backyard and floated 1 1/2  laps after fuel ran out to a perfect landing, my co-pilot was so impressed. The Norvell is one of the ones i picked up on the bay for $30, converted car engine.  Next flight i will try a 5.5 x 2 pitch prop, just to see how it does.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 04:25:11 PM »
Glad to hear it's doing well, Ray.  I'm using a 6x2 APC on one of my .061s, and a 5x3 3-blade on another. Both pull very well, lotsa power, at relatively low speed. The 5.5x2 ought to work OK too.

Those balloon tanks do work better than they have any right to.  Feed comparable to a good uniflo. 

--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 06:36:31 PM »
Hey Ray Stone, next test will be with the 5.5x2 prop on 42 foot steel lines , will post a better pic when i have a chance to get it in some better lighting , it really is quite attractive. I am very proud!!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 06:51:32 PM »
Yup, you should be proud, it looks good. 

I was going to suggest longer lines; I nearly always run my .061s, no matter what plane, on 42' or longer lines.  Those engines are little powerhouses, as you know.

--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 07:24:24 AM »
I just switched from 45' to 48' on the Sky Sport, and may go to 50'.  With an .049!  I am using a 3" pitch prop.

By the way, what is holding the tank in place?  It looks like a clear canopy.

A hint on the balloon tanks is that I blow the balloon up to full expansion and seal it off for an hour before building a tank with it.  This stretches the rubber and makes it even more flexible so that the end of the tank run does not lean out as much.  I am currently experimenting with pvc bags and a heat-sealer to make tanks.  The film is ultra thin and inherantly wants to be flat, so it should run clean to the very end.  Also, using Neoprene tubing, I have a bag tank that can handle diesel fuel.   :!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 08:10:28 AM »
Larry, the tanks Ray and I are using are "floppy balloon" tanks; not stretched at all--just a loose bladder.  I'm not sure about the attachment method for his canopy container; I use 35mm film canisters rubber-banded on like a standard hard tank.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 11:23:59 AM »
Larry, i too blow up my balloons for a while before using, i use what is called the 9 inch size.  The canopy is from Sig,  6 inch size , works great you can just cut it to the size to fit.  I have also played around with the old Playtex baby bottle refills and could not get a good fit with them. I too like to use neoprene hose as it seems to hold on to fittings a lot better than silicone, especially on combat applications, only problem i have ordered from 2 sources and the hose seems to dry and crack after only a few weeks of use, i keep it sealed in a bag.  Do you have a good source for fresh hose?

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 06:34:23 PM »
I dunno on the hose, I have never had that problem.  Of course I live in a "big city" with lots of R/C guys who run gas engines, so my tubing is probably pretty fresh. 

I use 12" balloons, and they can hold, probably 2 ounces, but I only put in 3/4 ounce (22 ccs.)  I get really consistent runs, with a bit of leaning out throughout due to gravity.  About the last 3 laps go over-lean as the balloon starts to require force to collapse it.  That is why I want to experiment with the PVC baggies.

The first prototype Sky Sport has too small a compartment for the tank, so I can't put in as much fuel as I would like.  The kit has a bigger fuel holder, and should allow 1 to 1.25 ounces, which will run a .061 on a 2" pitch prop on 50' lines for long enough to do the pattern.  THAT should be a serious threat at any 1cc contest! 

I want to find a way to do 5 second laps in bad air with a small model!   ~^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 08:05:44 PM »
When you find it be sure to let us know! 

I've tried to use a 4-2-4 run but just can't get enough oomph from a 1/2A 4-cycling.  Then it wants to flame out going outside.  So I use the high-rpm-low-pitch approach.  And, yes, 48' to 52' lines, depending, mostly on the wind.

4-sec. laps are doable.  But 5-sec. laps, even on 52' lines, work out to only 45 mph or so, just not enough airspeed. At least in my experience. "Your results may vary."
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 09:27:02 AM »
Skywriter #2 trial run was Saturday, performed great, a little windy to test too hard.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here