News:

• May 08, 2024, 12:07:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Size & Weight for Cox Reed Valve?  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Size & Weight for Cox Reed Valve?
« on: December 29, 2009, 10:44:30 AM »
What's a good size and weight for a plane to work with a Cox reed valve engine (Golden Bee style)?  Dick Sarpoulis published a bunch of designs in Flying Models several years back, all for TD engines, which I have found to my disappointment to be too big for the reed valve engines, at least if you want to _do_ anything.  (great trainer for the kids, though).

I'm looking for something that'll do at least the round maneuvers -- loops, wingovers, inverted, 8's, etc.  I vaguely recall having a plane from Sig many moons ago that would do this, but I can't remember if it was the baby Skyray or the Dewybird with it's landing gear removed.  Initially I'm thinking of an all-sheet plane, although I'd like to try a built-up wing stunter as well.  I'm sure one could go bigger with a built-up wing and still have a realistic chance of keeping the weight down.

Comments on tail moments and volumes are welcome, too, although I suspect that I just want to crib off of existing stunt planes for this.

I do _not_ want to go buy any new engines -- I have about a dozen Cox reed valve engines as a consequence of a comment I made when I was in my teens, to a cousin with an unexpected ability and a large and generous circle of friends.  Most of them have about as much wear as you'd expect from the usual one flight on the sleazy Cox ARFs.  Passing them by in favor of some new thing would be some kind of sin, I'm sure.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline philip metzner

• chevyiron420
  • Lieutenant
Re: Size & Weight for Cox Reed Valve?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 01:32:16 PM »
   I dont know much about what is available, but i would build a baby ringmaster. Build it light and dont paint it, just clear and a little trim so you can see it. #^

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 01:39:08 PM »
I have an unfortunate personality disorder (I think it's called 'arrogance') that makes it hard for me to build someone else's design unless it's really, really, good.

Kits are even worse -- if I make a mistake cutting a piece of wood it's just an unfortunate incident.  If someone _else_ has the gall to _sell_ me a kit with a mis-cut piece of wood then they're a no good, dirty rotten so-and-so.

Besides, I'm cheap, and you can build several planes from one bag-o-balsa.

I was kind of thinking of scrawling some lines on butcher paper and building to those, once I had an idea of size.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 01:41:57 PM »
Tim, my Deweybird(flatwing) does great with a Black widow as well as my baby Flite Streak. Also, the Barndoor (flatwing) and the Skywriter (builtup) kits from Minnesota Modeler are great fliers with Cox engines!! And the kits are really,really good !!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 02:32:39 PM »

Very simple plane, save as much on weight as possible by using a "stick" fuse.  22" wingspan, 10.5" fuse, 10.5" tail.  body is 1/2" balsa.  Will do anything you are capable of, I once flew this exact plane with a golden bee on 30 foot lines on 30 consecutive figure 8s right after takeoff.

2 planes can be built in a day for under $10.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 03:00:22 PM »
John, that is a neat plane.  One of my bags-o-balsa has some long sticks that are too warped for most jobs, but would probably do just fine as the stick for that.

How does the landing gear attach?  And where'd you get those high-tech leadouts?
AMA 64232

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 04:50:56 PM »
The Musciano hollow logs need to be under 5 ounces to do aerobatics. 
You could probably go as high as 6 with a genuine airfoil.  All of this based on Golden Bee or Black Widow.

I have a nice TeeDee 049 with a built up wing that flys at 8 ounces.
Paul Smith

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 05:19:51 PM »
The Musciano hollow logs need to be under 5 ounces to do aerobatics. 
You could probably go as high as 6 with a genuine airfoil.  All of this based on Golden Bee or Black Widow.

I have a nice TeeDee 049 with a built up wing that flys at 8 ounces.
I have a very disappointing Cap 232 that I built by cribbing from the Sarpoulis designs; it's 7-1/2 ounces and about 150 square inches -- but his designs all used the TeeDee, and this has a Golden Bee on it.

I'm thinking of sticking my Norvel on it, but there's fit and CG problems; I'd almost have to rebuild the whole nose, and the airframe is pretty war-weary as it is.  I just need to start butchering balsa, I guess...
AMA 64232

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 07:12:50 PM »
On the wing area 100 sq inches is a good number to go for. That is what we use on several models that we designed just for these engines. That is also the number for the planes that we designed for COX.
Larry
Black Hawk Models

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 07:15:55 PM »
On the wing area 100 sq inches is a good number to go for. That is what we use on several models that we designed just for these engines. That is also the number for the planes that we designed for COX.
Larry
Black Hawk Models
I really ought to just buy a few of your kits, if it weren't for that dang personality disorder.
AMA 64232

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 08:34:42 PM »
The gear did not do well on this one, attached with a piece of glued down ribbon.  What works better is to use a  couple of 1/2" by 1/4" sticks for the fuse and sandwich the wing between them.  Then you can glue the landing gear in there as well, just in front of the wing.  FYI, the plane flies 1000 times better without the gear, just have a buddy handlaunch

As for the lead outs, I built this one several years ago to get back into the hobby and those cords were what I had laying around.  I usually use wire or heavy spiderwire.

Offline Victor Jeffreys

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 01:03:05 PM »
What's up with the control system being mounted so far away from the fuselage?

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 01:35:45 PM »
       Just to add, every Brodak 1/2 a kit I've built has been a tremendous success. My fav is the f-82 Mustang kit. I must say this plane flies well right out of the box with a little tail weight and 2 Black Widows. It met its demise in a wingover when one of the engines was giving a bit of fits. The majority of  1/2 kits manufactured with built up wings fly extremely well with reedies.  In addition the Lil Satan which is now being produced by Brodak is a terrific flier. Another oldie is the Goldberg Jumping Bean which is very acrobatic. These planes will fly well even with a Babe bee. My all time favorite sheet wing model would have to be the Sig Syray which just takes mounds of punishment. It flies better and better after each repair due to it being tail heavy to begin with. The nose likes to break off just prior to the wing. Getting back to the f-82, I feel this plane could even do better with 2 Sure Starts and small Perfect tanks which would eleminate the need for tail weight and give you a longer and more predictable run.  Ken

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 07:51:47 PM »

Very simple plane, save as much on weight as possible by using a "stick" fuse.  22" wingspan, 10.5" fuse, 10.5" tail.  body is 1/2" balsa.  Will do anything you are capable of, I once flew this exact plane with a golden bee on 30 foot lines on 30 consecutive figure 8s right after takeoff.

2 planes can be built in a day for under $10.

Well John -- look what you've done:  http://www.ccwebster.net/robintim/anairplane/.

I'm not going to pop out two a day, but it's certainly coming along.  (I need to go take more pictures and add to the blog).
AMA 64232

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 12:56:07 PM »
Yep that'll get it done.  I've since taken to sandwiching the wing and elevator between 2 "sticks" and using more wing material to fill in the gap on the rest of the fuse.  By doing this, you can literally pile drive a plane and it survive.  Go for a hand launch, they fly much better that way.  Lemme know how it flies.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here