News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:58:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig 1/2a stunter kit cl-18  (Read 1310 times)

Offline ken cook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Sig 1/2a stunter kit cl-18
« on: April 06, 2007, 09:52:07 PM »
      I received this Sig kit called the Kricket from a friend. The kit was missing the majority of the parts. The wing is solid foam with plastic tips. Its a neat looking little airplane. From what I've been able to view from the instructions and the box I think I've replicated it. The airfoil itself though doesn't seem to be symetrical. One side has a more aggresive rise in it. The plane is full bodied in which the fuse has a significant rise on the top as well. I was wondering if this was just design characteristics. I haven't cut the hole for the wing yet,I'll wait for an answer. The funny thing is ,I find it looks better with the less aggressive side up. The wing itself appears to be heavier than a traditional built up one. I'd like to try it anyhow. My next question is covering the foam. I believe Monokote would suit this plane just fine,but I've never covered a foamie before. Would I have to use the lower temp version or would regular kote work?    Ken Cook

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
Re: Sig 1/2a stunter kit cl-18
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 10:25:08 PM »
So glad you posted this! We need pics! I remember this kit vaguely. I hope you made stencils of all the parts, missing and there. Are the plans full size? I bet not.

Yes you are right about the wing being heavy. It was made just like the Ace Mini-Foam wings of yore. I think they had a longer chord than the Ace constant chord panel. Thicker too If I remember. These were a shortcoming of the Ace wings I feel. You had a trade-off of a little extra weight as opposed to having to build a nice wing. These were injection molded as opposed to the lighter wire cut cores.

On to covering. Monokote is far too heavy to consider for covering plus it has the distinct disadvantage of having a higher heat need than some of the others. This makes it nearly impossible for the person covering a foam wing for the first time. Solarfilm was the choice of the day back then as it had one of the lowest temps for usage (which made it a great deal easier to cover with) and it also was a good deal lighter as well.
I think the best choice today would be Econokote also from the makers of Monokote.
http://www.monokote.com/econokote.html
I bet if there is a better choice ( or as good as) someone else will be able to let you know. I do recomend covering it for if you don't it will evevtually turn into an engine goop sponge in the future if you don't! Don't ask me how I know!
If you havent already you might want to trace the airfoil of the wing onto a sheet of paper as the wing is no longer available from Sig. This may benifit you in the future,  or someone else. Also the plastic wingtips.

Robert

Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Re: Sig 1/2a stunter kit cl-18
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 12:43:41 AM »
Not familiar with the kit, but I'm sure the wing should be mounted with the more extreme curve on top.  It sounds like a positive-lift airfoil and you don't want it "lifting" down!

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here