News:

• May 22, 2024, 12:46:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scientific Stuka  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Scientific Stuka
« on: December 15, 2012, 01:24:56 PM »
In the effort to build a copy of several of the planes of my youth I'd like to build the Scientific Stuka, which I solo'ed on in 1964. Even have a brand new Wen-Mac for it. Emailed Blackhawks models but can't get through.  Anyone have a copy of the plans? They aren't full size but I can fix that.  Thanks a bunch!

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Scientific Stuka
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 05:57:33 PM »
Attached is a copy of what was printed in a newsletter for the Kits and Plans Antiquitous organization.  The newsletter is called "The KAPA Kollector".  In December 1998 they published the story of John Frisoli and Scientific Models and had dozens of ads and photos of those Scientific models.  The plans for the Stuka show a carved "hollow log" fuselage, "shaped wing", for .020 to .075 engines.  The magazine ad states this had an 18" span.   Kit sold for $2.50.

That newsletter also had an issue with 44 pages dedicated to Walt Musciano in June 1997.  Muscaiano tells his life story here. Also listed are all of the books, magazine articles, kit designs, magazine construction articles from this remarkable person.  Also showed a number of photos and plans of many of his airplanes.

At one time not long ago, Musciano sold plans to many of his designs.  I do not know if he still does that.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 07:22:11 PM »
Keith you are the best!  Think I can get what I need here.  Thank You!

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 05:14:49 PM »
Try  Currell Pattie at currellpattie@hotmail.com if you are looking for a scientific plan, he used to have all of them.
Also there are some at http://www.outerzone.co.uk/index.asp that can be downloaded

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 06:27:52 AM »
Thank you John.  May try that too .  Went to Kinkos to try downloading the file Keith sent but they can't get it off my iPhone.  The phone is looking for an air printer they nor I have.  

Dave

....mission accomplished...got it done at work!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 11:42:42 AM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 11:50:08 AM »
Dave,
Good. I scaled up the jpg and drew a wing and stab/elev. at the correct scale.
Maybe you can get the pdf printed also . it is scaled for legal paper.
John

PS If not I can mail a copy.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 10:04:42 PM »
I built one of those about '72. As per usual kid and dope bottle- plane wasn't done 'till the dope was gone! Pretty heavy and not much wing. A couple times whem engine, wind, grass and pilot all got together it flew o.k. - but don't try a dive bombing run - heavy plane, small wing, skinny elevator = Splatter!

The 1/2A P-40 with built-up wing / profile fuse flew a lot better - even survived some lazy 8s!
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
Most of these Scientific hollow log designs will fly OK if you watch the weight. Some will stunt OK like the Stuntmaster and golden Hawk . They all are a lot of fun.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 02:40:13 PM »
The bent wings of the Corsair & Stuka were deal-breakers back in the day.  They will probably be more viable with modern fibreglass, epoxy, and carbon fibre.
Paul Smith

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 07:46:19 PM »
The bent wings of the Corsair & Stuka were deal-breakers back in the day.  They will probably be more viable with modern fibreglass, epoxy, and carbon fibre.
I'll use some carbon on the wing joints for sure.  I hardly ever put more that two coats of dope on 1/2 a's back then-dope was very expensive on my lawn mowing salary-like .79 a 4 oz jar. Usually the most damage was trying to keep the firewalls from popping off with the Ambroid.  Didn't have epoxy then.   These didn't fly real super but they did fly and looked cool to a kid.  I flew these in the front yard half over the street.  Just pulled up high to fly over passing cars-the neighbors were used to it.
I think I built about half the Scientific line of kits. The few with built up wings always flew better but the Goldberg machines were the best fliers.  Had the Top Flight combat kittens that flew quite well too.
Dave
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 09:15:37 PM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 08:27:23 AM »
Ah you kids,  I remember using gauze, the type out of the medicine cabinet and Duco Cement.   Didn' know about Ambroid until I found Charley's Hobby Shop.  Used the gauze and glue for engine mounts on the 1/2As and wing joints. Some where in the shop I have most of the plans for the 1/2A planes I built back then.   When I went to bigger planes, still used guaze and glue.  Just bought a 4 ounce jar of SIG Red at Hobby Haven on Metcalf.  Talk about sticker shock.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 03:26:33 PM »
Gauze and glue were the standard until fiberglass, then epoxy, came along.  Worked as well as can be expected as long as enough "fuel proof" dope was used for finish.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 04:51:42 PM »
Used  Fleecy sheets worked well too! And still do! H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 09:39:08 PM »
Yep, I soloed on the Scientific LITTLE ACE....another one of those great hollow log kits and one which was/is quite rare.  I was using an early O.K. Cub .049 and Nitro X fuel. The only LITTLE ACE I've ever seen was the one I built in 1954 and although I have been a regular buyer on EBAY for 12 years, I have never seen a LITTLE ACE kit for sale there.  In fact, Scientific discontinued that kit just after I built mine...around 1956 or 57 I think.  Has anyone here ever built a LITTLE ACE or seen one as a kit, built or flying?  I do have a copy of the original kit plans for this plane which I got from Currell Pattie a couple of years ago and I also have a like-new condition early O.K. Cub .049.. so maybe...just maybe.......  D>K   H^^  

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 09:31:55 PM »
Like many, many others I built various Scientific kits. With a young person's impatience, I sanded the wings just enough to get the mill marks off, never thought of additional fuselage hollowing...heck it was already hollow, and yes, used the gauze around the firewall. A few terrible coats of dope and she was ready to fly!

Mine became more complicated when I bought a NEW Space Bug Junior and had to drill a 1/4" hole for the intake, and also make sure air could get into the fuselage. Of course the old OK Cub required me to bury a small metal fuel tank in the fuselage so maybe it was a wash.

Those planes were probably heavy enough they could not loop...but then, neither could I. :-) 

George 
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 09:59:01 AM »
Ditto on not taking more balsa out of the old hollow logs.   I wanted them strong enough to take the grass landings.   Did do a lot of filling and sanding trying to make them look pretty.   Imagine how much they would have flown had I known what I know now.  Amazing the old OK  Cub .049A even got them airborne.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 10:45:33 AM »
Ditto on not taking more balsa out of the old hollow logs.   I wanted them strong enough to take the grass landings.   Did do a lot of filling and sanding trying to make them look pretty.   Imagine how much they would have flown had I known what I know now.  Amazing the old OK  Cub .049A even got them airborne.
The important part is the OK's "got them airborne".  Ton's of fun with that old stuff.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 11:33:07 AM »
Yeah, the idea of using gauze, linen hinge material, Testors glue and/or Ambroid to hold on the front end did't work too well.  Flying the plane before adequate cure time didn't help either.

One field fix was sticking a toothpick, piano wire, or Allen wrench through the "log" and rubber-banding the firewall on while the glue dried.  Then we realized that we really didn't need to have the glue dry and just went ahead & flew.  This eventually evolved into the rubber band mounting of all Babe Bees.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here