News:

• May 10, 2024, 08:52:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scientific L-19  (Read 1733 times)

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Scientific L-19
« on: April 17, 2010, 07:52:58 PM »
I am building an old L-19 kit, it is my first Musciano model andthe wing looks a lot smaller than what I am used to. Will it fly better with a Pee Wee .020 or a Baby Bee .049 it has a spacer in the kit for the smaller engine. Thanks T.J.
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Scientific L-19
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 10:12:27 PM »
It is a matter of line length.  With the .049 you can fly longer lines.  Also take a guess at how the model will balance.  It would be a bummer to go with the .020, sacrifice power and then have to add noseweight!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 10:51:43 PM »
     The L-19 has an 18" span and about a 3" chord or 54 square inch wing area. Pretty standard. If you want to use the .020 you will need to lighttn it up some otherwise you will be much happier with the Babe Bee. In most contest a black widow is the engine of choice.
Larry
Black Hawk Models

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 12:57:21 AM »
Sounds like the profile L-19 to me. I don't think the hollow log version had the spacer for the Pee Wee. Is this the one you have with the built up wing and profile fuse? If so I would say go with the 049 for sure and to stay away from Monokote for covering. Just too heavy for this model to fly well. Sand as much as you can from the fuse to save weight and most especially behind the CG location shown on the instruction sheet. You don't want it to come out tail heavy from the beginning.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 07:28:45 AM »
Robert,

I don't think you mean "Profile" fuselage, the kit you are showing has a "built-up" fuselage.
     While many of the block fuselage kits show an optional spacer and .020 engine, I would still go with the Babe Bee and build light.
Larry

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 10:17:01 AM »
I'll be contrary (as usual) and weigh in for the PeeWee .020.

These engines seemed to be of a uniform higher quality than the Babe Bee, and a much better power-to-weight ratio. 

Babe Bee powered logs generally come in nose heavy, so the PeeWee might balance out just right and stunt better with the small wing area.

I would bench run the PeeWee, and if it't healthy, give it a try.
Paul Smith

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 11:15:50 AM »
Larry, your right, thanks for helping me to stay on track. I had that pic filed under profile, Didn't bother to double check it. The picture I have of the instructions clarifies what you say.

T.J., Since it is the built up version, I say go with the Pee Wee to start off with and shorter lines. Then try the .049 and weigh the difference. You would want to make the spacer removable of course.

Robert

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 11:28:12 AM »
   Your first picture included the decal and the windshield decal was a dead giveaway that it was not a profile. I am jumping bach and forth so it might take some time to answer. I an painting a new free flight (old time style) called the "Cyclone Hawk" got to get it done and the plans drawn ... we have orders for it.
PS
It is a .049 plane.
Larry

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 02:59:51 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys, it is just like the one in the picture of the kit. I have had this since I was a kid, my cousin started on it but I don't know when he gave up on it. It was a fairly complicated build for an impatient 10 year old so I am glad I didn't mess with it then, 25 years of welding and fabricating have definitely helped with all the reverse engineering I have had to do so far to make up for missing pieces. I have made drawings of all the pieces so I can duplicate it if I like how it flys. I am building this as a memorial to my Dad and am going to paint it up USMC style as he remembered them from when he was in Korea. I hope to have it done for memorial day so I can fly it at the cemetery and then it is going to hang in front of a picture of my Dad "the worlds best 1/2 A pit man" from the ceiling in my office. I have recently gotten back into models after finding all my stuff hidden away in the attic at my folks house while helping my Mom clean up I had no Idea any of it was still up there my Dad boxed it all up and put it away at least 25 years ago, I am glad he did now I am going to fly with my daughter like my dad did with me.Thanks again for letting me reminisce and have a second childhood,T.J.
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 07:35:26 PM »
Way to go YakNine,  You will have a blast until she discovers boys. H^^

PS:If she does have a boy friend, that may make for another person tp fly with.  jeh
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 06:30:29 AM »
Yeah Doc , I met her mother and was getting my private pilots liscence, I met her mothers lawyer and she became my ex-wife I became ex-pilot, Now I am back to C-L , shoulda stayed single and flying C-L I woulda saved a fortune!  T.J.

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 07:51:23 AM »
I have another question My horizontal stabilizer is missing and its not real clear in the directions, Is it one piece and you slit the rear of the fuse and glue it in or is it 2 pieces that glue on the sides, one piece would sure seem stronger. I am also missing the landing gear and am probably going to bend one out of aluminum sheet as it will be for display anyway I don't like landing gear on 1/2 a's as I fly on grass and have had to re glue a lot of verticle stabilizers and rudders back into place. I will probably glue a small piece of ply inside the bottom of the fuselage and use a few t nuts to secure the gear when the plane is on display , yet be strong enough and light enough if I want to fly it off the gear. Thanks, T.J.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 08:16:45 AM »
The stab ALWAYS needs to be ONE piece, with the body slit to receive it.

When hand-making a 1/2A from bulk wood, I like to make both the stab & elevator from a single piece of wood, sand it to final shape, then cut the hinge line.  This is a lot easier than handling two or three small parts.
Paul Smith

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 09:20:17 AM »
     There is a picture of the one piece stabilizer directly below the center of the fuselage on the plans, if you do not have the plans check out the one Robert posted above. I wish that I had a copy of the plans ... might not kit it ... or just might. If you make me a copy I will pay for them Robert.
Larry
Black Hawk Models

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 10:00:54 AM »
Larry if you dont mind it in 1/4's and have a fax I will send it to you tomorrow just send me your Fax. T.J.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 10:06:27 AM »
I am sorry, I do not have a fax. Can you mail it?
Black Hawk Models
300 East Arbor Street #42
Long Beach, Ca. 90805

Thank You
Larry

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 10:14:59 AM »
I will see how it scans and try and E-mail it first. T.J.

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 12:48:18 PM »
     There is a picture of the one piece stabilizer directly below the center of the fuselage on the plans, if you do not have the plans check out the one Robert posted above. I wish that I had a copy of the plans ... might not kit it ... or just might. If you make me a copy I will pay for them Robert.
Larry
Black Hawk Models

Alas, I have never owned either the kit or the instruction sheet. What you see is merely some images of a kit I saw for sale once and not being able to afford the actual item simply saved the posted pictures for future reference.

T.J., I would love to have a copy of the scan if you don't mind.

Robert

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 04:28:30 PM »
My Daughter and I have made a replacement leading edge and duplicated some missing ribs and have the wing all glued up, It was pretty cool when I let her pull all the pins out of the sheetrock (I had to loosen them up a little before she got there , she is only 8) and pick up the wing, it was like a bulb went on in her head and I think she is starting to believe that this pile of balsa bits might actually become an airplane! T.J.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 06:24:42 AM »
Here's my $.02 worth--All my Peewee .020s are more reliable, and practically as strong pulling, as a Babe Bee, or stock production "sure-start"--for half the weight. When I acquired my first .020 it surprised me with its power, and none of them have disappointed me since.  I think they would fly most any 1/2A plane.

--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 08:50:01 PM »
Hey Ron, I was wondering because I just got a pee wee in a group of engines off Ebay . I never had one before and always wanted one as a kid, one of the kids in my 4H club had one on a Goldberg Stuntsman 18 and it flew pretty well, none of us had any understanding of trim or balance back then if they survived the first tankful we considered them good if not they usually got worse after we glued them back together! This Pee Wee needs a new rod and piston assy. It had a big 6-3 prop and spinner assy on it and judging from the firewall still attached to it I think it was used to get an R/C glider up in the air, it musta been working its guts out trying to get it to altitude! I figure about 20 bucks in parts and she should be good as new, and the little bugger is so darn cute, might just hafta get a Swordsman of my own or maybe a Black hawk EZ Trainer to run it on. T.J.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 07:33:39 AM »
A 6 X 3 is too much prop for a .020 Pee-Wee - which may explain why it needs a pistion / rod.  I think the stock prop for one was a 4 X 2.5, or maybe 4.5 x 2.5.

I'm at jury duty so I can't run out to the shop and look - but they have free Wi-fi so i can surf the day away!
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 06:44:28 PM »
Bill, you are correct on prop sizes, except I think the 4.5 is just 2" pitch.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 07:47:28 PM »
The parts you need are available at Cox International.

http://coxengines.ca/home.php?cat=3&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&page=2

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 05:10:47 PM »
I didn't know there was a built up wing version of the L-19.  :)
AMA 59633

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here