News:

• April 27, 2024, 11:57:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scientific 1/2A Profile series??  (Read 2833 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Scientific 1/2A Profile series??
« on: February 17, 2014, 03:59:59 PM »
Hi Guys,

I already did a search and came up with nothing...............

My 1st "wood" C/L model was a Scientific "King Cobra".  It was a profile (I have another kit!) and a 27" WS.  I knowthere was also a Hurricane but I don't really remember if there was a P-51D. ( ??? )  If there was, does anyone know of a set of plans? 

I intend to build the King Cobra before I leave this rock!  I will use an extended tank Black Widow, probably.  All depends on how much will go inside the cowl.  If not it will probably get a Killer Bee clone with a separate tank.

Thanks!
BIG Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Scientific 1/2A Profile series??
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 06:54:47 PM »
I remember the series but have never seen any plans for them. The Frog kit was similar (attached)

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 07:13:10 PM »
Also Larry posted the Top Flite Hurricane and I drew a P-51 over the Hurricane to the same scale

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 01:05:07 AM »
Hi Guys,

I already did a search and came up with nothing...............

My 1st "wood" C/L model was a Scientific "King Cobra".  It was a profile (I have another kit!) and a 27" WS.  I knowthere was also a Hurricane but I don't really remember if there was a P-51D. ( ??? )  If there was, does anyone know of a set of plans? 

I intend to build the King Cobra before I leave this rock!  I will use an extended tank Black Widow, probably.  All depends on how much will go inside the cowl.  If not it will probably get a Killer Bee clone with a separate tank.

Thanks!
BIG Bear

Bill,

I am not sure exactly what you are looking for.  I have the plans for the Scientific P-63 1/2A profile by Walt Musciano.  The kit had a plastic cowl that fit over the engine that faired into the spinner.  I built mine from scratch and made that cowl from a solid block of balsa.  It bolts on to the same firewall that the engine bolts on to.  I get to the mounting bolts from the front when the spinner is off of the engine.  I have a Black Widow on mine.  Wing is built up and is kind of flimsy, but it holds up OK.   Painted it in Russian coloring and markings.  It flies quite nice.  Can do a loop.

Musciano had a whole series of these things and at one time, you could order plans from him.  (These were copies of the Scientific kit plans.)  I have a listing of all of his designs that were published in the magazines as well as all of the Scientific kits that he designed.

That list has about 61 Scientific kits with a carved fuselage and solid wings.  In the series of Scientific kits with the P-63 which have a profile fuselage and built-up wings, the listing includes

Kingpin, Jr - 1/2A
Curtiss Warhawk - 1/2A
Grumman Gulfhawk - 1/2A
Cessna Skyhawk - 1/2A
Combat Ace - 1/2A
Super Mustang - .049 - .099
Custom Special - .09 -.19 sport/Combat
Cessna 210 -36" span Glider
Circle Master  1/2A

Then, there are listings for Profile fuselage/solid wing - 3 kits
Built-up fuselage/built-up wing - 7 kits
Carved fuselage/Built-up wing - 3 kits
Built-up fuselage/solid wing - 3 kits.

Scientific RC kits  - 4 kits

He did a P-51 with a carved fuselage, solid wing, 1/2A for Consolidated models

He did the plans for a P-38, carved balsa nacelles and nose, for twin .09 -.19 for Berkeley.  (I have this kit.)

Other kits are listed for some RC kits

the listing I have has all of his articles for the magazines, the list of his books, etc which number in the hundreds.  Remarkable!!!

The only Hurricane design listed was the 3/4" scale version published in Air Trails as part of the "Triple Threat Package in Air Trails, Sep 53.  He did write an article on the airplane and one of its pilots for Air Progress, Dec63/Jan 64.

Keith

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 10:14:30 AM »
Hi Keith,

Thank you for all the information!  The Scientific P-63 was my first C/L kit and I have a kit to replace it.  I was thinking there was a couple more models of the same basic size and make up (profile/built up wing).  I thought a Hurricane was in that "series". 

My original (circa 1963) had a Babe Bee and the new one will have a vintage Black Widow.  I have the same colors I used on the original, but I should do a "little" better job with this one.

Thanks again for all your help!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 01:23:11 PM »
Bill,
]
I just thought that my post above only addressed the Musciano designs, including those in the Scientific catalog.  Scientific might have had a Hurricane in that profile fuselage/built-up wing range.

There is a Scientific advertisement, MAN, Nov 64, that shows a 19" Hurricane, with a built up wing and fuselage.  Evidently, this is one that does not have Musciano's name on it.  I have no idea how to find plans for that one.

Thought you would like to know.

Keith

Offline Steve H

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 07:20:58 PM »

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 09:45:43 AM »
Found this AD in a 1962 issue of AAM. Never built any and have never run across a plan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here