News:

• May 01, 2024, 01:30:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sarpolus Mig 15  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Robert W

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Sarpolus Mig 15
« on: March 01, 2009, 03:48:20 PM »
I just thought I would share what I have been working on lately. A few more clear coats and it will be ready to fly. I choose the Mig15 because I like the outline. These are kind of fun to build and easy to store. I am using these smaller planes to improve my finishing skills and and learn more with each model I build. I am also building up a stock pile for my kids, if they ever get interested in flying. I plan to power this one with a Norvel .061.

Regards
Robert
AMA 28627

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sarpolus Mig 15
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 04:08:47 PM »
I would say you've done your finishing skills classes!  Very nice.  If you wouldn't mind, I would love to see a pic of the linkage side.  I love all of Dick's designs. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline John Castle

• Commander
  • The Bent Pin
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 05:52:02 PM »
Very nice. I would be interested in the details of the wing center seem and how you did the panel lines. Oh and BTW you get an A+ on the canopy. ;D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 06:26:46 PM by John Castle »
John Castle
McMinnville, Oregon 
AMA# 589650

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 06:08:32 PM »
I just thought I would share what I have been working on lately. A few more clear coats and it will be ready to fly. I choose the Mig15 because I like the outline. These are kind of fun to build and easy to store. I am using these smaller planes to improve my finishing skills and and learn more with each model I build. I am also building up a stock pile for my kids, if they ever get interested in flying. I plan to power this one with a Norvel .061.

Regards
Robert

Robert,
Looks good!
Bring it over for the Fly In on April 19.
I hope to have both the RM207 and RM307 alongside the Pathfinder.
Roger V.
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 06:49:47 PM »
Very nice job!
     Just a product note: This model will be availabe later this month from Black Hawk Models through Sam's Stuff and Hobbies.
Larry

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 07:34:24 PM »
Nice job Robert!! I hope it flies as good as it looks!!   
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 10:14:35 PM »
Well now you have given me a challenge!  When I got home the plans for the MIG-15 and the F-86 were here waiting for me.  Looks like I will have to get cracking and build that F-86 to bring over to Cocoa and do battle across the Yalu ( or Indian in this case ) River!

Great looking Mig- but at close ( 35- 42') range my F-86's fifty cals should have the advantage over your cannon! Of course you will have the speed advantage - I only have a Tee-Dee .049 to go up against your Norvel .061.

Paint scheme- hmmm, maybe one with ties to the area - hows about a MIG MAD MARINE??

Gonna have to get to the balsa stash now and see what I have available and what i need to get.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Robert W

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 04:48:00 AM »
Thanks for all the nice comments.

I will get a picture of the other side once I finish the clear and reinstall the control linkage. The wing center was per plans, the joint has a strip of fiberglass adding strength to the seam. The ink lines are applied with a rapidograph pen and indigo ink.

Roger, I am planning on attending the funfly to see all my friends. I am also planning on bring the F82 I finally got done.

Bill, It would be fun to fly two up, so get the F86 done.

Regards
Robert

AMA 28627

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 05:06:59 AM »
         Robert, you get the thumbs up once again. The F-82 and that Mig are two truly nice looking planes. Has the F-82 flew yet? I really want to make another one. I had some real fun with mine. The sound of Black Widows in synch is a great sound. I'd even like to try two Norvel's. Ken

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 06:59:51 AM »
Well now you have given me a challenge!  When I got home the plans for the MIG-15 and the F-86 were here waiting for me.  Looks like I will have to get cracking and build that F-86 to bring over to Cocoa and do battle across the Yalu ( or Indian in this case ) River!

Great looking Mig- but at close ( 35- 42') range my F-86's fifty cals should have the advantage over your cannon! Of course you will have the speed advantage - I only have a Tee-Dee .049 to go up against your Norvel .061.

Paint scheme- hmmm, maybe one with ties to the area - hows about a MIG MAD MARINE??

Gonna have to get to the balsa stash now and see what I have available and what i need to get.

Bill,
Yes, this will be a good dry run for our 2nd annual "Vets Day Fly In" in November. The more Warbirds the better!
Roger V.
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 11:28:49 AM »
That plane's a beauty! Let us know how it flies (and who wins the battle)
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 08:24:29 PM »
Bought some balsa today, and edge glued 2 3/32"x 3"x 36" pieces to make a 6" wide blank for the wing- no center joint. My buddy has one of those fancy sanding drum finish planers- I'll use that to thin the wing blank down to 1/8" tomorrow before I cut it out.
Had a chunk of 1/4" that had been cut for a stab for something long ago that is big enough for the fuselage. hope to have the parts cut by tomorrow, need to scrounge up some 1/4 motor mount stock, might end up using some 1/4"  5-ply birch aircraft plywood I found.

I love these small planes, bought the balsa ( Midwest brand- not bad ) at Micheals Craft store, used a couple 40% off coupons from the Sunday ad to get them for about 2.50 each. Everything else was in the scrap boxes.
Bill Heher
If it's broke Fix-it

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 11:19:12 PM »
4/32" equals 1/8" I hope that you got 3/16" to sand down.
Larry

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 11:37:45 AM »
Brain fade- it is 3/16th.  I will have to ask my friend if his machine will sand a taper, if I could take 1/64" off each side (top/bottom) resulting in a constant taper from leading edge to trailing edge, a little hand sanding would give it a bit of airfoil. 

I'll need every advantage if I'm going up against a Mig Ace!
Bill Heher
If it's broke Fix-it

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 08:55:28 AM »
Well I finally got a chance to get back to work on the Sabre, while I was out of town my buddy Tom borrowed the plans to cut himself a kit, so he cut my fuse and wing out for me.

I got the wing and stab slots cut today and wingtps / rudder / fin glued up and sanded. I should have the engine bearers and doublers cut and installed tonight.
Bill Heher
If it's broke Fix-it

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
The first of next month Sam's Stuff and Hobbies will have these kits and many others available.
Larry

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 10:25:48 AM »
Larry,

Will the double kits be available at the same time? I really like the Battle of Britain / Aces over Europe, and will order tham as soon as they are ready. Those will make excellent " Hotel Room build Projects". As much as I like buying sheets of balsa and cutting from plans, the ease and convience of a precut kit with decals and hardware is just the ticket when time / tools are limited. Keep up the good work!
Bill Heher
If it's broke Fix-it

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 11:06:16 AM »
We are finishing up all of the Sarpolus kits and sending out a couple of each on or before the end of this month. It takes a week to get to the dealers.
Larry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here