News:

• May 08, 2024, 11:49:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ridiculous! A strange looking stunt plane!  (Read 2773 times)

Offline Robert McHam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Ridiculous! A strange looking stunt plane!
« on: December 06, 2007, 07:34:06 PM »
I recall a plan for a strange looking plane called the Ridiculous.
From what I remember, the fuselage was almost like a topwater fishing lure plug. I do not recall seeing a picture of the completed plane. It was an older model but I am pretty sure it used a Medallion or Tee Dee for power (recommended) I am also pretty sure the engine mounted at a significant slant. The nose, if you could call it that was as though you took a saw to the nose and sliced a large chunk leaving an agle of about 10-15 degrees. The wing was built up and not particularly unusual that I can recall. Behind the wing i simply don't remember...

Does anyone recall this model? Are there any pictures of this plane? Can the plans be had ? More important, are there build instructions or a kit anywhere?

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Ridiculous! A strange looking stunt plane!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 09:37:46 AM »
After finding the listing in the AMA Plan Service Section I clicked on the listing and a picture came up of the airplane with the designer holding it.  The listing shows wingspan 47 5/8.  states Wondrous competition stunter for 1/2A.  7/85 MA  AMA Plan # 00480.  Price chart C.  Left something for you to do.  Besides you may see more plans and designs that you have forgot about as well as I did.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 03:54:51 PM »
Wow! That thing is huge!
I wonder what the all up weight should be? Or how long the lines should be... For a plane of that size I should think longer than usual than for the typical half A model.

Thanks Doc for your help. I was thinking it was older than 1985 somehow.  Goes to show you what I have to think with!

Robert

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 04:48:56 PM »
 #^  Didn't Rich Porter design this model ?  Best I remember it looked like a wing type combat model, with a LOT of engine offset..
  Flew it on fairly long lines too...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 01:52:01 AM »
Rich Porter's Ridiculous was a two part article in the July and August 1985 issues of Model Aviation.  It was a development of a series of models that Rich worked on up to that time on his quest to design, build and fly a model that can turn a true 5-foot corner.  Powered by a Cox TD, flies on 50 to 70 foot lines.  Span is 47 5/8", area is 555 sq in, the all flyiing stab area has an area of 105 sq in.  Dry weight was 16 ounces.  Has a really long nose (for balance without extra nose weight.  The fuselage is straight, mounted essentially on the centerline of the model, but the engine is offset 25-degreees to the outside of the circle. 

Rich has been on a longtime  crusade to build airplanes that are capable of the 5 foot corners.  He has docuentation films that show his models do this.  He is still "active" in modeling, but does not fly in contests.  He has an interesting website that covers some of his modeling activities as well as some other topics that he pusues.

http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARDPORTER2/UNDEFEATEDFORMER/

This shows some of Rich's more recent "developments".  If you want to see something really different, it is worth a look.  You will also find he is willing to communicate about his ideas.  Communicating with Rich Porter is an experience.

Keith Trostle

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 03:46:59 PM »
picture and a low res scane on this page for the brave who want to try it.
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=3690.550

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 05:26:52 PM »
Bill, thanks a lot. That gives me a little more to chew on for sure. For all the pieces required I bet it would cost a fortune to kit.
Am I correct that the whole front fuselage is made from a hardwood dowel? And is the wing center sheeting just glued on top of the ribs without any reliefs cut in the ribs?
What was it finished with?

Robert 

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 07:16:41 PM »
I'm pretty sure I have the plans for Ridiculous, as I was struck by a wild hare back in the late '80s. I'll sell the set for $5 +postage, if you're interested.

Ralph Wenzel
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 07:35:31 PM »
I don't know. That is the cover shot I have the artical but I don't have a full set of plans. I built the barecat instead it seemed a lot easier.
If you would like me to scan the magazine I will have to dig it out. It won't happen today but I can do it.

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 09:52:53 PM »
Bill, I have so many questions and I bet the article will answer so many. As for time, i am in no hurry. Once I have the article, I will be able to handle the plans, so, Ralph, I am interested but let me see the article first. This build sounds like one not for one faint of heart!

The Barecat seems so much more simpler but I tend to be attracted by the weird and unusual.

Robert

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 08:15:24 PM »
Model Aviation July and August 1985
the scanner is old but I think you can read these.

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 08:17:58 PM »
here are more

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 08:19:56 PM »
and more

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 08:22:46 PM »
last. Hope this does it for you. It will be a challenge.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here