News:

• May 01, 2024, 04:06:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Queen Bee  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Robert W

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Queen Bee
« on: October 12, 2008, 07:07:51 PM »
I wanted something different so I built the Queen Bee. Now I need to get the engine running and test fly. I was thinking that 20' of spider line should be good for the first flight. I thought I had some of the .020 props laying around, but could not find them. I did get some APC 4.5X2 for now and will try them. The APC looks big on the engine.

Regards
Robert
AMA 28627

Online ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Queen Bee
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 08:23:30 PM »
Robert , very cool!! Look forward to a flight report, i have never flown anything quite that small, looks like it should fly well!!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 09:58:40 AM »
Robert,

I notice that you have the needle pointing inward. Did you do anything to the plumbing in the engine to prevent fuel from spilling out the fill tubes? How about the fuel pickup tube?

If I remember correctly, Larry Scarinzi left his needle and cylinder pointing up. Of course, that was back when the Pee Wee was a newly released engine.  ;D

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Robert W

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 11:01:49 AM »
I think it was in the original writeup that had this configuration for the engine and recommended capping one of the vents with a small piece plugged fuel line. The plug is not shown in the photo. If the needle was in the upright position then it would be very difficult to adjust the needle with the engine running, as it is it is a little hard to hold and start the motor. The internal pluming was modified some to put the pickup in the right place. But this is all theory for now and may need to be changed based on how it flies.

There is a monoplane for the .020 call the wee one that has very similar construction that would be fun to build but less of a hassle when it comes to the engine and tuning.

If the pee wee 020 does not work I always have a couple of TDs laying around unused.

Regards
Robert
AMA 28627

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 11:49:30 AM »
Plugging the lower vent and put a piece of tubing on the upper one to raise the opening above the tank should work. Or bring them both above the top of the tank and you won't have to unplug the lower one to vent tank while fueling. 

I think COX used to do someting similar on the free flight helicopters that had the engine spinning with the rotor- but can't remember for sure.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 11:53:50 AM »
I still have one QB kit left, if anyone's interested.  Mine flies very well with an .010 on 20' lines; a good .020 will pull 27' lines no problem.  If you don't limit the elevator travel pretty severely, it'll do a Bi-slob thing.  Lotsa fun, loops, eights, etc. 

--Ray
Minnesotamodeler
http://snipurl.com/9igp
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here