News:

• May 05, 2024, 07:09:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Palmer Memorial Contest 1cc and Leprechaun results  (Read 922 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Palmer Memorial Contest 1cc and Leprechaun results
« on: April 29, 2008, 07:29:29 PM »
Well, the turnout was exceptional for this dual event.  We had 8 entries, and all but 2 flew, those two having experienced "difficulties" in pre-contest testing (bellcrank pulled out on one, engine sagged on the other both too damaged to compete).

Burt Brokaw showed up with a really slick Baby Pathfinder.  He spent Saturday dealing with engine problems, and finally settled on a Medallion .049, as he couldn't get a consistent run from either of his Tee Dees. (No surprise to me there...)  Anyway, his model comes in at 12 ounces, and flies great.  In fact well enough to trounce the competition and win first place in 1cc.

Second Place was Stan Tyler, who beat Antone Kephart with his own plane.  The model is a kit built Baby Clown running a Medallion on bladder pressure.  Antone did manage third place, only 2 points back with the same model.  I hear they do this to each other regularly.  Anyway, Stan walked off with the Leprechaun Pot 'o Gold perpetual trophy as a result of flying the top scoring Old Time or Classic replica model.

I need to review the chart again, but I think Warren Walker was 4th and I was 5th, both of us flying an ARF Baby Clown with Medallion power on suction.  Warren beat me, also by 2 points with my model.   HB~>

Interest in this event is picking up!  Those who have finally tried it like the fast response and excitement of the small models, and the scores were all over 400 points for those who completed the pattern!  This is with judges operating under threat of death if they didn't judge to the strict AMA guidelines, and models mixed in with the Intermediates (We trounced them of course!).

It seems that for no-hassle flying the Medallion is the engine of choice.  e-Bay here we come!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Palmer Memorial Contest 1cc and Leprechaun results
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 08:24:29 PM »
Hey Larry ,  what a great event!  I have a couple of medallion .049 's that run very reliable and a medallion .09 that flies really well on a home crafted little plane . I have never tried them on a bladder so now  i can't wait to try one.  That must have been a fun day, very , very cool!!  Ray
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Stan Tyler

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 10:53:28 PM »
Hi Larry,

It was a great turnout for the entire weekend. Lots of fun to fly 1/2 since I haven't had the chance for a while.
Burt had a couple of great flights with the baby pathfinder. Yep, he outflew us, no question about that.

It's surprising that a little baby clown will do the full pattern quite well when powered well with a good engine run. Judging from the flights that I saw and the scores, I'd say that the judges were being very objective, even though the small stuff will keep you on you toes!

Stan
Stan Tyler
AMA 3239

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 10:47:28 AM »
The Baby Clown is about the minimum model that can fly a clean pattern.  In my opinion, the Baby Flite Streak is a step up, while remaining Leprechaun legal.  The best Leprechaun kit currently has to be the Pinto.  Even that is not close to what the best possible models would be.

Tim Meek's scaled down Midwest P-51 is an outstanding flyer, as was my Baby Magician.  The Baby Nobler (50% size green-box) I have flies great too, though it is too small, really.  Lee Strickland has a 250 sq.in. scaled-down Ringmaster that is reputed to be superb.

I am working on scaling down Charles Mackey's Bf-109.  I will aim for about 250 sq.in, and .061 power. Who knows when THAT will get done, though.

Any of the best Classic models scaled down would be killer in this event.  Think of the appearance points you could add to the flight scores!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here