News:

• May 01, 2024, 05:57:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not really 1/2a but I put it here anyway / free flight  (Read 706 times)

Offline Wayne Collier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Not really 1/2a but I put it here anyway / free flight
« on: January 23, 2009, 11:07:32 PM »
I went out to try to make some progress on a 1/2a project I started a couple of years ago and got side tracked again. 

The first two photos are of a project thrown to gether using a wing from a foam glider.  This is the fourth project for that wing.  First was the original glider, then a couple of rubber powered projects, and now this.  I'm a little shy to fly it because it has no timer and that motor will make good power for 1-2 minutes on a full charge and then kinda pull for a minute or two after that then it may actually be more of a brake. If it flops it flops.  If it works how far will it go?

The second two pictures are of a Gulliows Cessna 180 that has really amazed me.  I did go to the trouble to build it light.  I ended up "trussing" the wing joints with news print after several wing disconnections.  I also finally decided to leave an "access port" near the rear rubber band connection after replacing several rubber bands.  I ran out of good rubber a while back and have been using some cheap rubber bands from an office supply place.  You may notice the trim tab I put on one wing.  I tweak it to make the plane fly in circles so I don't have to go so far to get it.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Not really 1/2a but I put it here anyway / free flight
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 09:03:36 AM »
The first two photos are of a project thrown to gether using a wing from a foam glider.  This is the fourth project for that wing.  First was the original glider, then a couple of rubber powered projects, and now this.  I'm a little shy to fly it because it has no timer and that motor will make good power for 1-2 minutes on a full charge and then kinda pull for a minute or two after that then it may actually be more of a brake. If it flops it flops.  If it works how far will it go?

If it works how far will it go?  OUT OF SIGHT!   LL~  LL~  LL~

I am not into free flight but electronic timers should be easy to come by.  Also I have an old KSB timer, 5 - 30 seconds, that could be modified to flip a switch. I would use a Radio Shack switch such as:

SPDT Switch Without Roller 
Model: 275-016  |  Catalog #: 275-016
This SPDT changeover switch is rated 5 amps at 250VAC and has a body size of 3/4x1/4x3/8".

The timer is old but it still works. If you want it it yours. Email me.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here