News:

• May 04, 2024, 03:59:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Norvel replacement  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Norvel replacement
« on: August 03, 2007, 06:34:24 PM »
What manufaturer comes close to selling an engine comparible to the Norvels?
Looking for .061 for 1/2A OT stunt.
Plan to try a Walt Musciano Stuntmaster which needs a tank mounted on the engine.
Jerry Bohn

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Re: Norvel replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 06:48:12 PM »
There are two that I've heard of, no experience with either--Brodak .061 and Wasp .061.  Don't know if they're equal to the Norvel or not.  I think the Wasp is supposed to be a clone?  Somebody here will know.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 07:13:16 PM »
What manufaturer comes close to selling an engine comparible to the Norvels?
Looking for .061 for 1/2A OT stunt.
Plan to try a Walt Musciano Stuntmaster which needs a tank mounted on the engine.

To the best of my knowledge you really don't have to have a motor with an attached tank. After all people have used Cub 'B', Wen Mac, or any of the other early motors. But to the best of my knowledge you cannot use a Norvel 049 as it does not fit the rules about porting.
Dennis

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 07:58:08 PM »
To the best of my knowledge you really don't have to have a motor with an attached tank. After all people have used Cub 'B', Wen Mac, or any of the other early motors. But to the best of my knowledge you cannot use a Norvel 049 as it does not fit the rules about porting.
Dennis

...at the Musciano meets, you mean.  "OT Stunt" was mentioned in the original post; I didn't even think about the very specialized Musciano contests. No doubt what you state is correct.

But if the intent is other more general contests, any engine will qualify.  And, it's true that you don't even need a tank-mounted engine; any of the Musciano models can be modified for beam mount engines.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 08:12:42 PM »
I have a Wasp .061 that I actually like better than the norvel .049.  It holds the needle setting better for some reason and is not as finicky.  Plus the motor mounts are identical to the Norvel Big Mig.  It will snap right in to the "tank" mount.  You will have to lock the throttle open, I used a paperclip and wrapped it around the cylinder.

I'm running mine in a plane similar to a Lil Satan with a pressurized Sullivan Clunk tank mounted in the outboard wing

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 08:20:53 PM »
Ray, Thanks, I looked at the Brodak.061, I think thats my choice and since I'm not going to enter this plane in a contest I will use your suggested method. Your attachment shows there is room for a small 1/2 size tank.
I fly .35-.46 size planes and forgot how little fuel the 1/2A type engines use.
Thanks for posting the picture it is worth a thosand words.

Wing, who sells the Wasp and are the Norvel tanks still avaliable, very viable alternative if the tank mount is still avaliable.Thank you for the input

Jerry
Jerry Bohn

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 05:46:34 AM »
I picked up my wasp in Irvine, CA on a business trip, don't remember the hobby store.  As for the tanks, High Speed Hobbies in China Grove, NC had a couple the last time I was in there.  They have a website just do a Google search

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 12:53:28 PM »
Hobby People sells them as does Tower by online service.  The price recently rose to $45, but that is still pretty cheap.  Depending on where you are, there may be Hobby People stores in your locale.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 07:16:44 PM »
Any of the engines you mentioned seem like a LOT of engine for an 18" span hollow-log.

Good luck with it.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 01:22:21 PM »
George, The mentioned engines are to make 18" hollow log stunt well.
Original engine like OK Cub.049 or Cox low end.049 type engines are for basic training, fun stuff, mabey 1 loop, mabey 45 degree wingover, thats it.
Jerry Bohn

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here