News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:05:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Norvel no more!  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Norvel no more!
« on: April 25, 2007, 09:52:16 AM »
I was chatting with Frank Fanelli (Editor of Flying Models), and, oddly enough, we were talking about 1/2A.  Anyway, the conversation drifted from discussion of my upcoming article to what engines are still available.  He says that SIG has completely ceased importation of Norvel engines.  Apparently the factory was impossible to deal with.   ''

I know a LHS that still has a couple, guess I'll go clean them out!   VD~

Fortunately, so far, the AP Wasp .061 is proving to be an outstanding engine.  2 for 2!   y1
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Re: Norvel no more!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 04:02:02 PM »
Isn't the Wasp a clone of the Norvel?  Apparently an accurate one, huh?

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 07:40:09 PM »
I haven't pulled a Wasp apart to compare, but it sure looks like a Norvel and runs maybe even better!  One is going on my #2 Sky Sport, since I have made a bigger tank compartment.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 11:30:07 PM »
The AP has a few problems from what I have read.
Mainly quality control.
I do not own one of these yet but what I have read about others is not pretty for the average Joe that buys one and simply slaps it on and tries to fly.
Seems there is in nearly every one on the shelf, production debris.
Those who know maintain that if you should buy one, immediatly dissasemble and examine for debris before you try to turn it over. Then before you reassemble it, put it in an ultrasonic cleaner in some solvent and let it run for a while. Supposedly you will be shocked at what comes out of these things.

Seems that there are good ones and bad ones out there. Some maintain they can never get a good run out of theirs while others have great performance. I feel this is due to not cleaning them  thoughroly. Those which have the least junk in them will prove to be better performers naturally. Those that are run as is and have more than their fair share of garbage internally will of course turn out to be poor runners at best with lowered compression and overall poor performance.
I think that these for now are one of our best choices for now but take heed.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 08:10:10 AM »
Actually that's good advice for any make of engine--disassemble and clean before you ever try to run it. Some manufacturers are of course worse than others, but it's cheap insurance for any make.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 11:41:39 AM »
Cleaning, YES!

I seem to recall that some Eastern European model engine instructions called for a soak in gasoline, with head and backplate off, for say, overnight, before running the engine. Anyone else recall that? Chinese CS and Silver Swallow type engines, too?

Just in case, did that with a brace of new AP 061s recently. Yep, some sludge, etc.,  settled out. Complete disassembly showed the rest of the things sparkling clean. They run and start well, and are pretty closely matched in RPM with similar time on them. Nice li'l thangs! Some more time and they go Galbraith/Nelson heads...

\BEST\LOU

Offline Graham Collins

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 01:11:19 PM »
I would agree with the positive comments about the AP061.  Some of the Chinese products have a well deserved reputation for less than good quality and quality control, so do a lot of other motors or other origin. I recall taking apart a new Fox .15 for a cursoury inspection to find seveal large pieces of swarf in the crankcase.

I don't think the current crop of AP engines deserves to be included with that general statement.   

Ray said it, always good advise to strip any new one down completey or partially and have a good look and cleaning as needed.

I have a couple of AP .15's and they have proven to be very nice control line motors. Easy starters with decent power.  I stripped them both down when I got them and they where clean inside.  I just picked up an AP 061 and when I disassembled it, it too was clean inside.  A nice looking small engine in fact.  Haven't run it yet but I am impressed with it.  I believed all the retoric I was reading that had been posted about poor or no quality control for these engines.

I just hope it stays in production for a long time to come because I don't there will be any other new engines marketed to compete for size of engines any time soon. 

cheers, Graham in Embrun near Ottawa Canada

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 07:26:48 PM »
My take in a AP 0.61 :

I have on on a litehawk as a fool around airplane.  It is OK, not nearly as powerful as a norvel, but much better than a TeeDee.  Not nearly as well made as a norvel.  It has a nylon venturi and a needle from an MPjet.  It runs on a bladder. 

So I would say servicable and that is about all.

Dave 
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 09:23:40 PM »
I would have to say that seviceable and available counts!

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Graham Collins

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 06:57:10 PM »
I was just on Tower Hobbies web site and noticed that the AP .15 Yellow Jacket was listed as "Discontinued".  I hope this isn't the first of the discontinuation of all the AP line in total  - the .09 and the (especially) the .061.

I fired off an email to Global Hobbies and am waiting for a reply.

cheers, Graham in Embrun near Ottawa Canada.

Offline Vincent Corwell

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 01:15:11 AM »
Hi fellow addicts

I got a AP Wasp 061 last week from Tower

have bench run on a Master 6 x 3, slightly rich
it turns 13,000 rpm, very good value for money

Will build my 1/2A Pathfinder kit later this year
see how it flies

Thanks to Larry Renger for the info
and to Mr Sparky for hosting

Vincent

Offline Graham Collins

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 06:48:36 PM »
Couple of things.

An update on my previous post re the AP .15 being noted as discontinued on the Tower Hobbies web site.  Global responded to my query in that the AP .15 has become a bit of an orphan with a .15 in the Thunder Tiger line being a better (and presumably a more popular engine choice) so they have dropped the AP.15.  However, they noted that the AP .09 and .061 should be around for some time to come.

Also, posted on another forum by myself and blatantly copied and pasted here (QUOTE)

I was trolling round the internet looking for out of the way hobby shops with an online presence that might just have some Norvel or Cox parts lying about and came upon an interesting source for alternate glow heads for Cox, Norvel (and AP 061) engines.

Way round the other side of the world is place called Dave's Hobby Centre http://www.hobbycentre.com.au/ in Australia.

On this page http://www.hobbycentre.com.au/TAIPAN07.html where they the following:

Even More Innovative New Taipan Products
Taipan have also decided to expand the range of their glow plugs with new products to suit Cox, Norvel and G-Mark at what is, we believe, a considerable saving to all :

For use on Cox� 049 motors
Cat No Range Identifier and Description of product.
T CY Yellow Medium heat range Glow Head to suit Cox� 049
T CB Blue Cold heat range Glow Head to suit Cox� 049

For use on Norvel� 049 & 061 motors
Cat No Range Identifier and Description of product.
T NY Yellow Medium heat range Glow Head to suit 049 & 061
T NB Blue Cold heat range Glow Head to suit 049 & 061

at $7.50 Australian dollars each or 10 for $67.50

I have yet to follow up on this discovery. I was hoping any of our members from the down that way might be able to tell us more before I send off an email for more details.

So there you have it, there appears to be another source for Cox and Norvel plugs other than AP.  I am going to get a few and give them a try and will post once I have further details.

cheers, Graham in Embrun near ottawa Canada.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here