News:

• May 07, 2024, 11:37:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Norvel break-in and flying - Did not want to hi-Jack the tread. SpitFire ???  (Read 1524 times)

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
I did not want to change the subject on the other thread.

A few folks asked me about this little SpitFire in the other thread.

This is a design from Ron Burns. I built two just from Scrap wood. It has a Norvel .061 R/C engine and we fly it on 35 Ft lines, but I like it better on 32 Ft lines. Just more line tension for me and quick. I am told it will do the whole pattern. I know it will do figure eights and over head 8's. So I guess if someone knew how to do a clover it would do it. Just seems to need a bigger tank for me anyway, because the fun is over too quick. <=

Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Care to share the plans? Maybe just rough measurements? Looks like something we would love to try in the backyard on 30 foot lines and a .061.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
Paul,

What tanks are you using on those neat little airplanes?

I'm having no luck finding metal tanks for my Baby Clowns, and will probably have to use a balloon tank.

The Perfect tanks I have are all too small.

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Paul,
With the low wing location, my 1/2A Pathfinder setup might work on your Spitfire.
Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Paul,

What tanks are you using on those neat little airplanes?

I'm having no luck finding metal tanks for my Baby Clowns, and will probably have to use a balloon tank.

Bill
Bill,
I will check them and get back to you. But Roger looks like he is onto something.

Paul
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Paul,
P'finder #1 had over 300 flights on it.
I used the identical setup on P'Finder #2 (below) and it flew all maneuvers on second and third flight.
Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
Roger,

Is that Pathfinder a kit or scratch built from plans?

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
John,
Yes, sorta!  LL~ PF #1 was from a kit.
For PF#2 - I bought a rib package from Brodak, remainder is scratch built.
Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Hey Roger, is that a 1 oz. clunker ?  Am i correct to assume you fill through the uniflow tube with the fuel line removed for venting?  Thanks , Ray
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
Hi Paul,

Thanks anyway, but I've done a little more shopping around, and found another source of small tanks that might do the job for me. You mention that your tanks are also too small, so they probably wouldn't work for me either.

The radial mount Baby Clown has very little room for tank installation (1.5"), but the beam mount version has almost 2.5" with the engine all the way forward.

Roger,

Great looking Pathfinder!  H^^

I really like the clean tank installation. Is that a feature of the kit, or your own design?

Thought about buying one of those 1oz round tanks, but think it might be too long for my installation.

What duration do you get from that tank? Engine/prop details?

Also, is that a Galbreath head I see on your engine?

Thanks,

Bill

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Ray,Bill,
Will combine answers to your questions.
It is my tank installation design. Tank is a 2 oz. Sullivan.
Flight time ~ 7 1/2 minutes.
Norvel .061, Galbreath head/2 shims, Nelson plug, 6x2 APC, 15%N, 18%oil - 80Syn/20Castor
Not a Uniflo tank - 2 lines in tank , a fill/vent routed to the tank "blister" and a fuel feed clunk line.
 No disconnects required to fill tank. With the nose down, fill through vent until visibly full. Dont overfill as Norvels flood easily.
Hope this helps.  H^^
roger
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 01:28:39 PM by Roger Vizioli »
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
Roger,

Thanks for the info.  H^^

I might have to reevaluate the tank size for my Norvel .049, and .061 engines. Seven and a half minutes on 2 oz of fuel is higher consumption than I've been expecting.

I think Larry Renger recommended a 3/4 oz tank for the Norvel .049 in one of his post, but he may said that was the minimum capacity he would recommend.

Bill

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Bill,
When you are reevaluating and using my numbers, consider the following:
The .049 is about 20% smaller
I am turning 25000+ rpm the air. We have an audio tach for in air measurements.
Smaller engine and/or lower rpm = less fuel consumption.
When I fill the tank is is not quite 2 oz. as I only fill till it starts to enter the clunk weight.
Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
...I'm having no luck finding metal tanks for my Baby Clowns, and will probably have to use a balloon tank.

Bill

Bill, are you aware that Brodak has rights to the "Perfect" tanks. They look exactly like the old Perfects except it does not have the "Perfect" label stamped in.

I have not bought them for several years so I hope this is still current information.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
Roger,

The Norvel .049 does burn less fuel, but I also have an .061, and would like a tank suitable for either. I was figuring a 1 oz would be about right, and could short tank for the .049 as required.

George,

Brodak was the other source that I recently found for small tanks, but thanks for the info anyway.  H^^

I'd heard that Brodak bought the rights to the Perfect tanks, but hadn't noticed those on their web site until recently. I'm going to order a few to see what fits best.

Wish I knew if their measurements included the feed and vent tubes, or just the tank body.

Bill

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here