News:

• May 13, 2024, 01:36:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I-16 MODEL WANT INPUT  (Read 2368 times)

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
I-16 MODEL WANT INPUT
« on: December 27, 2010, 01:23:38 PM »
This is a proto type of an up coming kit.  I really want to know what you think would improve it.  I used scale drawings and tried to keep it close.  So tell me?

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Re: I-16 MODEL WANT INPUT
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 02:03:04 PM »
Cute.  Maybe a little more balsa on the cheeks, to match the cowl?  Looks like maybe 1/8" or so would be enough, just a sheet laminated on the surface of each side, to be sanded to cowl shape by the builder.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 04:34:59 PM »
Paint?

Seriously -- I think you've done a good job.  I have objections, but they're all nitpicky things that would make it too complex to build or expensive to produce (like, I really think that one defining feature of the I-16 is the way the cowl tapers back from that flat face -- but how in heck do you vacu-form that without an expensive multi-part form?)

I'd love to see an itty bitty precision scale model of that plane, but you're not in the job of producing $200 kits of planes that take little Cox motors, you're in the business of making cost-effective planes that fly on little Cox motors.  Given those constraints, I think you've done a great job of capturing the essence of the thing.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 06:35:08 PM »
I must agree that I too would love to have the tapered engine cowl but this is what we have to work with.  Ray, good eye is is a 1/8th inch gap, I am just not sure if it would be a good idea for in the kit. By the way the wing span is 16" it is scale to the fuselage that is 7" without the cowling. 
Larry

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 09:18:47 PM »
Larry,
It looks great for what it is. Some guys just get real with what they want in a model. Build their own and market it. The cowl is miles away from the trash old company used. Good luck with new ships. 
Tucon Dan

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 09:25:47 PM »
 How about adding diehedral? It would add nicely to the scale appearance and also help the vertical C/G. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 09:24:37 AM »
I think that I will cut the headrest down a bit and finish it up, then I can see what the bosses think. I do like dihedral in the models but it is too costly for this kit as the projected price is at $35.00 now.  It cost a lot to make a kit these days.

Thanks for your input
Larry

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 09:56:17 AM »
Yep, the headrest looks a bit chunky now. Can you get a more angular windshield, in a size to match the smaller headrest?
http://www.aviation-history.com/polikarpov/i16.html
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 10:56:47 AM »
No, I wish that I could.  Next year I will be getting our own vaccum former but for now ...
I broutht the headrest down to the scale size. The first one matched the windshield but since only the windshield will be in the kit it did not matter.
Larry

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 03:19:46 PM »
As  Lockheed person I can't help but notice that with a little "tweaking" that model could also be said to replicate a Lockheed "Sirius". Check it out.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Joe Mig

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 03:28:41 PM »
Could we see the motor mount please ?

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 03:32:46 PM »
Sorry it is in the paint booth now.  The motor mount is a flat disc meant for a Babe Bee motor. The disc has a hole in the center that allows more air flow.

Larry

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 03:53:24 PM »
Okay, the plane is on the drying rack so I got a picture but you can't see the hole as it is in to much Shadow.
Larry

Offline Victor Jeffreys

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 04:15:21 PM »
Make sure that fuselage is hollowed out to max. thinness. (weight savings and room for an internal wedge tank)  A seamed two piece (spanwise) main wing plank using medium hard wood on front 1/3 and soft on back 2/3 would help on weight too.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 07:46:12 PM »
HI Larry,

I say, GO FOR IT!  That is pretty darn scale, especially for sport flying.  The builder can add this and that if they really want to, and as is, it looks pretty darn good.

I can see the hole for the air intake, no problem.  How will the Landing Gear mount?

Let me know when it goes to market, I will get one.  If fact I will pre order one!

Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 08:04:45 PM »
Bill,

The model is in production now.  I am making up a kit right now to send to a writer for "Skyways Magazine" to review it.  The landing gear is trapped behind the engine against the bulkhead.  The fuselage (1- 1/2" x 1- 3/4" x 7") is hollowed from the bulkhead to the trailing edge of the wing (1" x 1" x 4").  The wing is made from 1/4" x 3" x 16" tapered medium balsa with a 3/32" x 1" x 4" trailing edge.  It is real simple to build and a lot of fun to fly.
     I am expecting a large order from our distributor in Estonia for sales in Russia and Ukraine.  They are just starting to do U-control and finding out about Cox engines.

Larry

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 08:13:31 PM »
Bill,

The model is in production now.  I am making up a kit right now to send to a writer for "Skyways Magazine" to review it.  The landing gear is trapped behind the engine against the bulkhead.  The fuselage (1- 1/2" x 1- 3/4" x 7") is hollowed from the bulkhead to the trailing edge of the wing (1" x 1" x 4").  The wing is made from 1/4" x 3" x 16" tapered medium balsa with a 3/32" x 1" x 4" trailing edge.  It is real simple to build and a lot of fun to fly.
     I am expecting a large order from our distributor in Estonia for sales in Russia and Ukraine.  They are just starting to do U-control and finding out about Cox engines.

Larry

Hi Larry,

Like I said I WILL get one! ;D  Just announce it when they are up for sale.

AS soon as I can get to where I can leave the wife alone for a bit, I will have some pictures for you of the ME-262.  Not much added, just a basic "box stock" build, and the wood was very, very nice!  It should really surprise anyone with a good engine up front.  I have a "semi" Hi performance Cox I made up from new parts.  Not a "Venom" but it will be stronger than a Babe Bee, and possibly even a good Black Widow.  Plus I can put a "stunt tank" on it to get a bit more fuel on board.  I got it ready for paint just before her surgery.  Friday is the next office visit for her, and we will know more then!  (She hasn't been out of the house but once since Jan.11th!)

Thank you
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 08:20:01 PM »
Forgot:  If dihedral is wanted, all the builder will have to do is cut the wing in the center, sand in the dihedral and epoxy it back up.  maybe a 3/4" strip of FG tape to help reinforce it.

And the builder can add a piece of 1/8th" or 3/16th" to both sides of the fuselage to round it out at the cowl if they choose, no problem. 

That is some things that can be added by the builder, or not.  And doesn't detract from "the kit" at all.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 08:22:22 PM »
     My wife and best friend is recovering from breast cancer, another year of treatment to go, I think that she has it beat.  
     Reports back from the field say that the 262 is a great flier and I am sure that you will enjoy it.
     The Russian I-16 sells for $35.00 due to the vacuum formed canopy and cowling.

Larry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here