News:

• April 28, 2024, 10:49:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NORVEL 061 plane match  (Read 2351 times)

Offline adam collver

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
NORVEL 061 plane match
« on: February 04, 2011, 07:05:16 AM »
hey guys im learning stunt with magicians 35 sized almost being  self taught i neeed a couple suggestions for a quick kit i can build and repair for thenorvel i was thinking the baby flight streak or baby lighting streak just the simple stunts any advice would would help, thanks. 

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: NORVEL 061 plane match
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 09:03:04 AM »
     Any of our Dick Sarpolus kits would be a very good choice or a Night Hawk if you want to try a full fuselage biplane.

Larry
Black Hawk Models

Offline John Castle

• Commander
  • The Bent Pin
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 09:06:13 AM »
Another option is to build the White Lightning.
It is an easy build and and is much discussed on this forum.

John
John Castle
McMinnville, Oregon 
AMA# 589650

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 09:14:33 AM »
Not quite so quick, but totally competitive, is the Sky Sport from RSM.  It has beaten out "big" planes in open competition, and been used to score nearly 500 points (in wretched flying conditions).  The .061 is its standard engine size, though you could fly with an .049 on shorter lines.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 04:18:47 PM »
     Adam, I fly my Brodak Baby Flite Streak using a Big Mig.049. The engine provides more than enough power. The.061 does give a bit more power. It would more than likely suit the Baby Flite Streak well. You can always compensate the speed for a lower pitch prop to keep the speed down. I like to fly them fast as they're very maneuverable. I have to say its my favorite design airplane. As mentioned above, the White Lightning is easy to build(solid balsa wing) and easy to repair. Mine built a little on the tail heavy side. I like that myself but not good for the beginner. I would say that the Brodak Pathfinder which is a bit more complicated is a terrific flying airplane. Unfortunately if it hits the ground your not going to be so happy with the results. If your looking to get the Norvel into the air asap, you can always go with the ARF baby clown which flies very well but once again its fragile. You just need to order the clown for the beam mounted engines. The clown flies just fine with a Cox Black Widow so you may have to tame the .061 down a little. Ken

Offline adam collver

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 06:09:16 PM »
hey thanks guys for all the advise, Ken im leaning towards the baby flite streak and u say this sounds like an ok choice . ive been building for over 13 years so im not scared of repairing stuff what size and length of lines and tank setup do u have.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 06:15:35 PM »
HI Adam,

Go with the Baby Flite Streak and lines around 40' eye to eye.  Larry Renger says about 1 oz., IIRC, for a good flight time.  Some other swill jump in I am sure.

What's you location?  You didn't list it in the registration. ;D  Someone might be closer to you than you imagine.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline adam collver

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 11:54:44 AM »
ok boys will 40 ft lines be to fast i was thinking maybe 52ft maybe thats too long ? and i was thinking of just making a tank out of a film canister instead of buying one isnt there a tutorial on it? or ami just wasting my time cuz i dont have half A lines i was just thinking of cutting down an old pair of 015's  becuase im not a pro this whole project is just for practise in a park. so the real question is whick do i put my money into tank or lines ? 

thanks.

Offline adam collver

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 12:19:17 PM »
Orrrrrrrrrrr anybody got an old set of 1/2 A lines or a 1 oz uniflow they could sell or possibly donate ?

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 01:00:11 PM »
Orrrrrrrrrrr anybody got an old set of 1/2 A lines or a 1 oz uniflow they could sell or possibly donate ?

DISCLAIMER:  though not covered by AMA regulations, a WHOLE LOT OF PEOPLE use "Spiderwire" which is a non stretch fishing line.  10lb test (maybe 8??) is the size, IIRC.  No failures I have heard of but you must use a proper "fishing knot", Palomar or some such.

The .015s are a lot (too much IMHO) drag for an 1/2A plane that we would fly in  the park.

Use the film canister with a balloon (not pressure) and it works!

Others will join in, I am sure.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline John r Kamps

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 01:52:50 PM »
On my Brodak Babyflitestreak with a teedee .051 i use .008x42' lines Brodak has them for $6.99

John.

Offline Dennis_Langworthy

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 05:02:49 PM »
I have a .Tee Dee .o49 on my Baby Flite Streak.  I fly on about 43 to 45 foot Spiderwire lines.  I just fly at the local school and never really measured the lines exact when I cut them.  I spent between $5 and $6 on a roll of Spiderwire at Wally World, 20lb test I beleive .  I figure that I can get several different length sets out of the same roll.  Now if I was planning on flying in contests I would purchase the  .008 lines.  I am using a 2/3 oz. Brodack (BH-507) fuel tank that the plans called for.  That is enough fuel to get this old greezer dizzy

Offline adam collver

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 06:29:32 PM »
hey dennis i was thinking my setup would be norvel 061 1 1/4 oz medium wedge style tank sooo not filled up all the way and .008 x  52 ft lines i choose the 52's cuz i think the 061 is a lil bit more powerful and i want to get it alil slower so i can learn some stunt when i cant make it to the big feild.

ok heres another question for ya's what the hell do i cover this prick with lmao i have experience with monocote of course and litespan made by solarfilm. i dont want to use silkspan or polyspan cuz the model wont last that long since im lwarning lol.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 09:24:52 PM »
I am guessing any light wight iron on will do.  

Larry Renger (a certified 1/2A guru) uses Coverlite.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 08:25:08 AM »
Coverlite is Litespan marketed by a new suppllier.  Same stuff.  Super light, tough and durable.  Attach with Balsarite or Sig Stix-it and an iron.

You may get away with 52' lines, but that seems a bit long to me.  I fly 45 to 48' length on .008 wire.  Spiderwire is lighter, but has more air drag tending to turn the model in.

Keep us posted on your progress!   H^^

DesignMan

Offline adam collver

• Ensign
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 06:50:19 AM »
i was looking at black hawk models and saw the half A nobler is it all solid wing and fuse construction is the flite streak to small ?  still undeciced boys !!!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 10:49:56 AM »
Bob Hunt told me a few years back to try a Dick Sarpoulous (sp??) all sheet 1/2A for stunt practice.  Dick published several designs in FM and Black Hawk has some of them as kits.  Is the Nobler one of those?  IF so, build it and have fun.  A 2" pitch prop will slow down the Norvel .061 to where you can have fun on 40'-48' lines like Larry R. says!  Just don't set it dead lean, it won't have to be. y1

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 11:18:47 AM »
One of my current projects is the Sarpolus Corsair from Blackhawk (there is a thread on it here).  Bob Hunt says that it is the best flying of the series (he and Mr.S are good flying buddies, it seems).  Otherwise I would have chosen the Nobler.

The original Baby Flite Streak from Top Flite is pretty small, about 130 sq.in. I think.  The one from Brodak is punched up to 150 sq.in. which is on the borderline.  Currently we are flying models anywhere from 190 sq.in. (Sky Sport from RSM), to 230 sq.in. (Baby Magician from Flying Models plan, and Pinto from RSM).  My latest is the Sky Streak at 250 sq.in., but it is a feather light flying wing, and hasn't been flown yet.   ~^
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 10:24:07 AM by Larry Renger »

DesignMan

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 11:36:27 AM »
One of my current projects is the Sarpolus Corsair from Blackhawk (there is a thread on it here).  Bob Hunt says that it is the best flying of the series (he and Mr.S are good flying buddies, it seems).  Otherwise I would have chosen the Nobler.

The original Baby Flite Streak from Top Flite is pretty small, about 130 sq.in. I think.  The one from Brodak is punched up to 150 sq.in. which is on the borderline.  Currently we are flying models anywhere from 190 sq.in. (Sky Sport from RSM), to 230 sq.in. (Baby Magician from Flying Models plan, and Pinto from RSM).  My latest is the Sky Steak at 250 sq.in., but it is a feather light flying wing, and hasn't been flown yet.   ~^

I have some drawings of the unpublished Sarpoulis designs.  I will eventually build a couple of those just to be different! LOL!!

Big bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 12:27:31 PM »
     The Black Hawk Models Nobler is a sheet wing, Profile fuselage model for beam mount engines only. The kit comes with all of the hardware needed but Dick Sarpolus did not put landing gear on the planes.  Black Hawk Models offers a landing gear setup for the kit that includes wheels and wheel collars, even an Allen Wrench.

Larry

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 07:48:50 PM »
     The Black Hawk Models Nobler is a sheet wing, Profile fuselage model for beam mount engines only. The kit comes with all of the hardware needed but Dick Sarpolus did not put landing gear on the planes.  Black Hawk Models offers a landing gear setup for the kit that includes wheels and wheel collars, even an Allen Wrench.

Larry

Thanks, Larry.  Those models really will fly a decent AMA CLPA pattern as well as being just a lot of "plane" fun!

I am having a ball with 1/2A again, and I owe much of it to guys like you who are working hard to make good products available.  H^^

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here