News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:58:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New model - Approaching Storm  (Read 1720 times)

Offline John Crocker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
New model - Approaching Storm
« on: July 06, 2007, 06:05:51 PM »
Had the day off, no kids, buddies were tied up, so I built a new model.  Made plenty of built wing kits, but never one from scratch.  So here is my "Approaching Storm".  24" wingspan, 132 sq".  Think it is 15" long.  Little nose heavy, the CG is about 1" in front of the leading edge of the wing, but will see how she flies before I change anything.  Wing is similar to a baby clown to save weight and covered in Monokote.  Tail is a rip off of a Ringmaster, but I like it so who cares.  Will post up flight info soon.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Re: New model - Approaching Storm
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 06:08:11 PM »
What does it weigh, John?  Very nice.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 06:14:48 PM »
No idea.  All the scales I have access to are at work.  Should have been lighter, I messed up on the nose and used too much plywood.  Luv using CA cause you can finish the model in a day, but once its on there, its staying.

I'd say weight wize its on par with the dead Phoenix IV, which flew like a scalded dog.  If I'm right, with the airfoil it should fly better, and with the CG further forward, do tighter loops.  We'll see. 

Finally figured out my issues with the Norvel.  I had put "medium" gas lines on it.  Was not getting a good suction I guess, cause when I switched to small it ran great.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 06:24:30 PM »
CG further forward will = bigger loops, not smaller.  It will be more stable.  With the CG where you indicate, it should groove like it's on rails.

I tend to place CG much further back, significantly behind the LE.  Makes my planes very sensitive, but as an old combat flier that's what I'm comfortable with.

I predict you'll be adding some lead to the tail after you fly it a time or two.  Maybe with less ply. on the nose it would come out nearer to what you want.  Still, a good looking airplane.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 06:33:46 PM »
Looks like you're using muffler pressure.  With that you could mount the tank on the inboard side and shorten the nose.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 06:45:58 PM »
Well, learned 2 new things today.  CG is backwards from what I thought, and you can mount an engine on the other side of the fuse.

As far as the weight goes, I'll probably just make the elevator wider.  Its 9" wide now, always liked the look of a wide tail, on planes and on women. ;D

Don't want to change the engine though.  Kinda scared bout going blind for the needle.  When I was 8 I watched my Pop cut the top of his index finger off on a Cox that was running backwards and slipped out of hand, dang Master Airscrews are sharp. 

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 07:54:47 PM »
I think Don meant for the TANK to go on the inboard side ("under" the engine) to get it out of the way so you could move the engine back, still on the outboard side.  Better than adding lead to the tail to move the CG back.  I agree with you, wouldn't want any setup where the needle is "blind". 

And if you think Masters are sharp, you oughta see an APC--I believe you could cut out balsa parts with it!  I bloodied my finger just flipping the prop.  I now blunt the knife-edge with sandpaper before I ever put an APC prop on an engine.

--Ray

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 05:44:24 AM »
The trick to flipping an APC is to put your fingertip on the front of the prop, not around the trailing edge. The better trick is to use a heavy leather glove.  I have had one or two engines where I was comfortable flipping an APC without glove.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 09:13:45 AM »
The trick with ANY 1/2A is to use an electric or spring starter.  Hand flipping is for the birds.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 11:18:29 AM »
Electric starters are for pansies. Spring starters are only good for starting Coxes in the right direction.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 03:51:30 PM »
Mark me up as a pansy then, cause I don't have the patience or the knee and ankle strength to stay squated for an hour trying to get one to start with a spring or flip.  I LUV my electric starter. 

Small prime, 2 turns, hit it with the starter and open the throttle till she starts. Works EVERY time

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 07:17:24 PM »
I've considered using a lightweight folding table for a 1/2A runway just because I have difficulty getting down and back up again. So far, I've never owned an electric starter.  I have on occasion flipped into frustration and I've gotten cut a few times.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 08:14:04 AM »
Flipping a Cox engine is an exercise in frustration.  Put in a head prime, hook up the battery, turn the prop backwards to vertical, give it a hard hit with your gloved finger, and launch.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here