News:

• May 09, 2024, 10:03:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Man-Winn trainer  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
New Man-Winn trainer
« on: October 16, 2012, 06:11:31 PM »
Slow day ay work, and cold / rainy. Decided to knock out a 1/2A coro-plast trainer for my co-workers 2 boys to pound into the groung. Shippingbox from work, a 24" piece of CF  .200 rod for spar and some $3.00 Home Depot aluminum angle for the moyor mount. Bell grank, horn and LO giude are ready to put on and finish it.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: New Man-Winn trainer
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 06:41:42 PM »
Bill, way cool!!!  My kind of ground pounder, i have several very similar!!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 12:58:36 AM »
Hi Bill,

Nice work!

My first c/l flight after that 49 year break was with a very similar airplane, but with a modified Black Widow that Mark H. put together, and was running at some impossible rpm's with one of his infamous cut down props!  ;D

He assured me that I could not break the airplane, because I had refused several other flight offers on other peoples airplanes for fear I'd crash.

Well, the engine screamed to life as I stood with handle in hand, and I knew almost immediately from the engine sound that I might be making a serious mistake. I gave him the launch signal anyway, and off it went. The first lap was mostly up and down until I got a little better feel for the combat control sensitivity, but I just about fainted when I saw how fast the background trees were spinning by. I desperately held on as that little buzz bomb did it's best to screw me into the ground. The only thing I could think of as I staggered around the circle just barely able to stay on my feet, was how damned long does this tank last anyway? Well, what seemed like too many minutes later the engine finally quit, and I was able to land it with no more damage than the usual flip over produces (none) with these gearless wonders. Then I think I took no more than one or two really unsteady steps sideways, before my old ass hit the ground, but I was laughing so hard that I didn't feel a thing!  ;D

Man was I hooked on c/l again!

Never heard back from you on the engines, but I see you found a more suitable engine for your friends trainer, so good luck with that.

Let me know what paint you used, as that Coroplast is hard to get anything to stick to.

Since you mentioned the cold and rain, I knew you were no longer in Portland, or that the Florida weather had you so spoiled you think 60 F is cold.  LL~

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 02:05:55 PM »
I find Painters' Choice spray can paint sticks pretty well.  A bit of steel wool abraision before painting would help too!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 11:38:29 PM »
60 degrees I can handle, it's that low 40's that make me want to crawl back in bed!

The Babe Bee should be a good choice for the little tykes. I have a 2nd one with a Surestart that should wind up a bit higher, gotta make a new tank for it, old one split open about 1minute after filling.

The blue one was not painted, the coro-plast box was blue, and the yellow is reinforcing tape.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Stan Bidowski

• Lieutenant
    • Winnipeg Perfect Circle Flying Club
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 09:25:48 PM »
Remember that the Babe Bee's are lighter than the Black Widows. If a little too flight sensitive
just add some nose weight.  Nothing is too critical with these things.  Experiment with
the design.  They are a blast.
You will look like this after =>>>    LL~   LL~   LL~

Stan Bidowski

<=

MAAC 17167

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here