News:

• May 22, 2024, 03:19:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New 1/2A Ringmaster  (Read 1274 times)

Offline mike hartung

• aeronut
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
New 1/2A Ringmaster
« on: June 07, 2009, 08:03:15 PM »
Thought you guys and gals might like to see these pictures before I crash er fly it. It is a Ringmaster 207 of Pat Johnston's design and short kit. Good wood and went together with very little effort, cameout at 9oz. with Cox TD .049. I hope to make the first flight soon ( need CALM wind ) This is a repeat for you that frequent the Brotherhood of the Ring website.  ;)
blue skys and tail winds to all.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
Re: New 1/2A Ringmaster
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 09:07:54 PM »
Very nice job!  I love the bones- those 1/2 ribs really make the finished wing look good. I hope it flies as good as it looks, and I see no reason why it shouldn't.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 09:49:43 PM »
Really nice! Thanks for sharing this one.

Since I don't really know this plane,  I just don't know if 9 oz is spot on, light or heavy.

Can you tell us a little about the covering ?

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Robert W

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 06:08:34 AM »
Looks good Mike, hope it flies as good as it looks.
AMA 28627

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 09:20:51 AM »
The area, power and weight stated should result in a superb performing model.  Looks great too!  It does present me with a problem in that if it showed up at one of our contests, is it Leprechaun legal.  1cc competition, no problem.  The difficulty arises in that the original Ringmaster does not have surface spars or half ribs.  They give a real advantage in the quality of the airfoil.  The counter argument is that it would be flying against models like the 230 sq.in. 1/2A Magician that has both surface spars and half ribs as part of the authentic design.  Oh well, worry about it if it happens, I guess.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 10:50:26 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong but I didn't think that any of Pat's Ringmaster were meant to be copies of the original.  They are look alikes that have been updated to fly as good as any modern design.  The only exception to this is Pat's S1 short kit that is OTS legal. I have a couple of pat's kits that I need to build when the weather gets nasty. It is my understanding that if built properly they will hang with any design of the same size.  I love the 'Old School" look of the Ringmaster.

PS Mike great looking Ringmaster.  Keep us posted on the flight tests.

#^  #^  #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 02:57:07 PM »
I have no problem with the design being what it is, and no claim has been made that it is Leprechaun legal, I am just trying to evaluate it if one shows up at the Knights of the Round Circle contests where we always have a "Best Leprechaun" trophy in addition to the 1cc event that is open to any design.

As I said, it looks like a great flyer, and probably is what the Ringmaster SHOULD have been (but wasn't).
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 07:40:24 PM »
I have no problem with the design being what it is, and no claim has been made that it is Leprechaun legal, I am just trying to evaluate it if one shows up at the Knights of the Round Circle contests where we always have a "Best Leprechaun" trophy in addition to the 1cc event that is open to any design.

As I said, it looks like a great flyer, and probably is what the Ringmaster SHOULD have been (but wasn't).

Larry,
Mine shows alot of promise. Have to get more bench time on the engine before I can really ring it out. I really like what it has shown me to date (and you know how much I like the 1/2A P'Finder). I do know 47' lines are not enough, will go for 50' x .008's next time out.
Pics are in the Album section/CLiner on the Ringmaster site.
Roger v.
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Rod Lamer

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 08:29:31 PM »
Nice job, I like the colors you picked out.
AMA 906421

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 07:57:40 AM »
The bare bones looks great and the finished product looks even better.  To me the Ringmaster was the prettiest design going when I was starting.  To me it is still one of the best looking profile planes.  Hope yours flies as well as it looks.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here