News:

• May 09, 2024, 10:04:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New 1/2A project--Skywriter  (Read 2342 times)

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
New 1/2A project--Skywriter
« on: August 23, 2007, 07:48:56 PM »
Lame name I know, subject to change, but it's gotta be called something.

While rehabbing my knee, since I can't get out to the flying circle, I've been working on several new projects; this is one. 

30" span, 200 sq. in. area, 4.5 oz. as it sits, shooting for under 8 RTF.  I plan to power it with a Norvel .061.

Nose picture, #8, shows provision for engine offset--wedges cut from the legs of a spring clothespin.  Very hard stuff, no crushing here!

Next 3 pics, my over/under adjustable LO guides, just in case anyone's curious.

Next 3 pics, my tipweight box made from the neck/lid of a water bottle, ditto.

Last pic, copper wire-laced LG, a little lighter than the bolts-and-straps I've used in the past.

Pretty much ready to cover and paint; thought I'd get some pictures of the bones while I could.

--Ray

--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Online ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: New 1/2A project--Skywriter
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 08:12:14 PM »
Hey Ray, very cool looking!! Did Oxycodone have any impact on this one? If so, i would like to try it!! Maybe you could call it Sky Righter! Glad your back.  Your the best,   Ray
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 08:15:13 PM »
Hey Ray,

Who knows what those pain pills influence?  Actually I had to try about 3 different kinds, none particularly compatible with my chemistry apparently, and then gave up and just used ice packs to keep the knee numb.  Two weeks after surgery and feeling much better!

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 04:33:34 AM »
Hey Ray,

Just a question, what gauge wire are you using for your gear.  I used .047 (think thats right) on the Green Giant and doubled it near the body for rigidity.  Took soom silk ribbon and wrapped them together, then slathered in Sigment to draw it tight.  Seems to work well and saved some weight

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 07:44:56 AM »
John, I believe it's .056. I'm shooting for a finish weight of <8 oz.  For my bigger 1/2As (LittleAxe for instance, 10-11 oz.) I use .063  to which I have added a spreader bar.  On the small, light planes designed around the Cox production engine--5 to 6 oz. airplanes RTF--I have gone as light as .047. For my Frankenstone Arrow (one of my "bigger" 1/2As) I used formed alum., my favorite, although I don't know how it compares weight-wise.  Didn't think to weigh it when I got it formed up. For that matter I've never weighed wire gear either. Sitting so close to the CG it probably doesn't matter anyhow unless it's critical and you're trying to shave off grams. 

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 03:13:32 PM »
How about "Shooting Star"
Larry

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 06:58:41 PM »
Thanks Larry, that's a good possibility.

You may have noticed your wing construction there.  I have another framed up with more traditional construction; I may cut into it and add spars if the covering doesn't stiffen this one enough. 

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 07:53:15 AM »
If you put an .061 on it, it will be an "A", not a 1/2A.
Paul Smith

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 09:33:11 AM »
Yeah well, sorta "3/4A" really.  I know some contests allow .061s in 1/2A stunt and combat too for that matter.  But I don't fly competition anyhow so I can call it what I want...fly on any line length I want...by any rules I want...in fact I can proclaim myself Champion of my back yard if I want.  Yeah, maybe I'll do that.

Point being, it's designed to fly (and well) with an .049 if one so desires. If you guys can put a .60 in a .40-sized plane I guess I can put an .061 in an .049-sized plane.

Sorry if I sound a little peevish, my knee hurts. And I can't get out and fly so I'm a little grumpy.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 09:07:50 PM »
Ray,
          I must admit that I did not build a wing like the one you built. I too would consider spars in that type of wing. The one I am using in my "War Bird" series of kits is a tapered wing and it is very ridged when finished. I picked the name "Shooting Star" because the rudder reminds me of the tail of a shooting star.
Larry

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 05:49:15 PM »
Hey Ray, it looks good to me.  Also is there really that much difference between an .049 and a .061?  Just think in England I think 1/2A is up to an .099.  Besides the only events it matters in is official AMA events.  By the way if you get a set of plans drawn up let me know.  Have fun.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 05:31:59 AM »
Hey Ray, it looks good to me.  Also is there really that much difference between an .049 and a .061?  Just think in England I think 1/2A is up to an .099.  Besides the only events it matters in is official AMA events.  By the way if you get a set of plans drawn up let me know.  Have fun.  DOC Holliday

John, you plainly haven't been messing with these engines that much...the Norvel .061 is probably twice the power of the .049.  Compared to the smaller engine, when the .061 starts you know immediately you've got "a tiger by the tail". I like the .061 so much because its characteristics are more like the bigger engines than 1/2A--starting, needling, etc.  'Course fuel consumption is 'way up too, that power has to come from somewhere. 

Don't know about the other .061s, no experience with Wasp, etc.

I'll decide whether to finalize plans after I fly it, looks now like that'll be next Spring, my flying season's about over for this year I guess. I'll keep you posted.

--Ray

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 06:22:07 AM »
ditto on the wasp.  Its pulling my 30" plane with no issues at better than 50 mph with a 6X2 APC

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2007, 02:57:59 PM »
...the Norvel .061 is probably twice the power of the .049...  --Ray

That's why I smile when people profess how much more powerful the NORVEL .061 is, compared to the TD .049.
Well, duh!

If you read the NORVEL instructions, the .061 has more POWER PER CUBIC INCH than the.049. A more fair comparison is the NORVEL (AME or Big Mig) .049 to the TD .049.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here