News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:24:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NEW 1/2A ENGINE COMING SOON!  (Read 2925 times)

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
NEW 1/2A ENGINE COMING SOON!
« on: March 08, 2007, 07:37:08 AM »
 CLP** OK Engines informed me that their new .049 and .060 reed valve engines are just about ready for release. They will be tank mounted engines and will use the same bolt patern as their .049A Cub engine did (same as Cox). The price will be about $30.00 and $40.00 and use standard glo plugs.
Larry
Black Hawk Models

Offline Douglas Babb

• What goes through your mind first as a line breaks?
  • Lieutenant
Re: NEW 1/2A ENGINE COMING SOON!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 04:01:31 PM »
Not to be a sour puss but I hope that they are new manufacture and run at least as good as a norvel or the like. **)

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 05:00:39 PM »
I do not know about how they will run but it sounds like you are looking for another $60.00+ 1/2A engine. We do not need another expensive engine, Brodak has a very good one that he sells, we need a cheap, easy to start, good running engine with a power range of a Cox Widow.  n1 The price of the hobby is getting way out of hand now.
Larry

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 05:32:42 PM »
RIGHT ON !! Larry.  High end engines are there if you want them.  What we need are affordable, dependable engines that start easy and hold up to the abuse of beginners.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Steve Kientz

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 05:50:19 AM »
  I'm all for inexpensive and easy to use. Hope to have my nephew and his friends soloing by fall.1/2A might be a little harder to fly,but easier for youngsters to handle on their own.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 05:53:51 AM »
OK! I know that this is a little off of the 1/2a subject but I have to tell someone! I started this business, Black Hawk Models, because I knew some kids who wanted to fly control line models and when I encouraged them I found out that there were not trainer models available. After I made up some kits for them to build I found that engines and glow plugs were out of this world in price. I gave them all of the old Cox engines that I could find. The kids had a ball...well to make a long story short......."That ship has sailed"  D>K.
          If this hobby is to grow or even survive there a couple of things that it needs:
1- Easy to build, cheap, rugged model airplanes.
2- Basic, throw away, cheap engines; .049, .09, .15 or .19 and .35.
3- and a way to entice people to try it (that is why I am promoting the "Black Hawk Squadron"
          A new commer to the hobby should be able to buy a plane and engine for $50.00 and find the support to learn to build and fly it.  Z@@ZZZ OK! So you heard all of this before.
Larry

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 06:08:15 AM »
Steve,
          1/2A is harder to fly and that is why everyone should start out doing it.  ~^
          With 1/2A you soon learn to mind the wind direction, how the plane is flying and how the engine is running. With 1/2a all of these things are more important than with larger planes. When you go to pull a loop you need to be down wind, start high and dive into the loop to increase flying speed and hear how the engine strains to get through the loop so that you know if it will make it or not. Where else will you learn that. The other advantage is that it is not so over whelming to think of building a 1/2a kit.
Larry

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 07:52:47 AM »
Nor so expensive...nor requires as much room...nor as scary--or dangerous--to young fingers.  Not to mention not as destructive if a neophyte loses the handle. My first kitted design, the Minnie Delta, started out exactly the same way, Larry...as a trainer for some kids who were interested.

--Ray
Minnesotamodeler
http://snipurl.com/9igp
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 08:09:14 AM »
CLP** OK Engines informed me that their new .049 and .060 reed valve engines are just about ready for release. They will be tank mounted engines and will use the same bolt patern as their .049A Cub engine did (same as Cox). The price will be about $30.00 and $40.00 and use standard glo plugs.
Larry
Black Hawk Models

This is good news. I hope they run at the same power level as a Black Widow. It's good that tehy use standard glow plugs. Wish they'd switch to metal tanks. Any idea when they might be available?

cheers,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline Douglas Babb

• What goes through your mind first as a line breaks?
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 10:44:33 AM »
Larry, I am not looking for another $60 engine, I have too many already. I do have an O.K. Cub .049 that was packaged and sold a few years back, it runs but is not equal to some of the Babe Bees that I have and feel that if O.K. is going to put out a new engine that it should have performance equal to the Cox Bees or Blackwidow. If that happens then I would buy them with no reservations and yes $30 would be a great price if they can be brought to market at that price.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 01:39:23 PM »
Ken,
          In November they said that they wanted to get the engines out in March for the hobby show in New York. I received an E-mail, around the first of March,  that they are almost ready and only needed one more part to be made. I am hoping for April delivery and I will be carrying them in my hardware line.

Doug,
          Buying a OK Cub engine was always a crap shoot as to how well they ran, however They were dirt cheap and if it did not perform up to snuff you could send it back and get another up to one year after you bought it. They were so cheap that few people ever sent them back and most ran very well. Last year they sold for $20.00 plus shipping and I sold over 300 engines with only two returns (a leaking tank and a short needle valve). Larry ringer soups them up to do things you would not believe. You can also use Racing fuels in them as they have special gaskets to allow this.
Larry

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 03:59:21 PM »
I have never heard of souping up O K motors but this might be a nice time to hear about some of the simpler things (in another thread) one can do.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 07:44:00 AM »
Robert, You should contact Larry Renger, aka DesignMan, regarding OK Cub performance. He did a live "Hop Up" demo at a Knights of the Round Circle meeting about 10 years ago. Larry is always willing to share info and ideas. And the performance of his OK's is truly unbelievable. He does it all with a Dremel Tool, a few hand tools and elbow grease. And the reworked engine seems not to suffer any loss of usable lifespan, either. Remarkable.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 05:09:10 PM »
Saw on another forum that OK has updated their web sight with information on the now available reed valve engines.    The update did not include pictures of these engines.  http://www.okengines.com/news.shtml
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here