News:

• May 09, 2024, 03:30:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Baby Ringmaster  (Read 4878 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
My Baby Ringmaster
« on: September 14, 2013, 12:23:29 PM »
Well I am finally building something just for fun!  It is a Sterling Baby Ringmaster kit.  I picked it up on eBay several years ago.  It was missing the plans and all of the hardware so it was cheep.  The wood is hard and heavy but this is for fun so who cares. The biggest thing that is missing is the motor mount.  I plan to use a Cox sure start 049 and a balloon tank. I will rig something.  I am thinking I will need to extend the noise a little.  It looks like it was originally designed for Cox Baby Bee style engine.  The type That has a built in tank.

#^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
Re: My Baby Ringmaster
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 01:54:07 PM »
Hi John,

Fun it should be!! I am attaching the PDF file for Pat King's version of a Beginner's Ringmaster. He shows a Sure Start version as well as a tank mount version. That should give you an idea of how to handle the nose modification.  y1
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 02:34:14 PM »
Hi John,

Fun it should be!! I am attaching the PDF file for Pat King's version of a Beginner's Ringmaster. He shows a Sure Start version as well as a tank mount version. That should give you an idea of how to handle the nose modification.  y1

Wow!!  That is the answer to another question - Like where is the CG.  Thanks!!!

H^^   H^^   H^^ 
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 03:35:50 PM »
John
The baby plans are here and they show a balance point, http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/index.php
If you are not a member you have to join, but it is free.

JV

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 06:26:42 AM »
If you extend the nose it will surely mess with the CG. It was designed to have a plastic mount that clamped the fuselage and allowed mounting of a Cox bee style engine. If you epoxied a ply firewall to the fuselage as is and used gussets it will probably balance fine and look somewhat correct.

Ron

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 10:50:12 AM »
Here is a screen shot of Pat King's Baby RM nose area.
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 10:55:03 AM »
Hi John,

Another Ringmaster for the Fly_A_Thon!  Get that puppy ready!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 03:47:29 PM »
With a Baby Bee with an integral tank, it'd probably balance fine.  With a Cox product engine, you don't have the weight of the integral tank, or the additional length.  To make it balance and fly close to the design, you need to stretch the nose about an inch.  One of mine started with the stock nylon mount and a product engine, it was tail heavy and hard to fly.  The nose has since been stretched and reinforced and it flies better now.  

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 04:28:03 PM »
Hi John,

Another Ringmaster for the Fly_A_Thon!  Get that puppy ready!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

Well it is ready to cover and paint.  And yes part of the engine is missing.   LL~  I'm thinking red with white trim.  Mainly because I have a jar of Sig Light Red butyrate dope.  I will be using Brodak clear butyrate dope.  Can I use Brodak butyrate dope thinner with the Sig?

Plan to put it in the Ringmaster Fly_A_Thon
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 07:54:23 AM »
Well she is ready for first flight.  Right now it is windy so it may be a day or two before first flight.  CG came out about right.

#^   #^   #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 08:48:03 AM »
John, that looks very nice!  Hope it flies great!  The balloon tank works very well, a half to 3/4 ounce of fuel should fly her quite a while. Be sure to get all the air out of the balloon before filling. Good luck.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 08:53:58 AM »
Very nice John!!  What did you use for the container for the balloon??
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 09:02:59 AM »
Looks great, I like it. #^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 09:11:34 AM »

A cut down syringe.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 09:43:54 AM »
Hi John,

I really like the Baby! 

If I may suggest something to "play" with once you have it flying good is to replace the prop with a reverse rotation prop.  They are readily available and it will be a good experiment as to what differences the different props make to flying characteristics.  I would like to hear your comments.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 10:16:28 AM »
Hi John,

I really like the Baby! 

If I may suggest something to "play" with once you have it flying good is to replace the prop with a reverse rotation prop.  They are readily available and it will be a good experiment as to what differences the different props make to flying characteristics.  I would like to hear your comments.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

Cool!  I have a reverse pitch prop in hand.  Will give it a try.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 10:18:50 AM »
I found a pair of 40' 1/2 lines in by box.  Is 40' ok for a Baby Ringmaster?

???
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 10:44:54 AM »
John, a lot of variables like wind that day, nitro, how that sure start is running, etc. but the 40' should be a good starting point. I keep a set of 32, 35, 42 and 48 foot lines to try. Those are all Spiderwire, i have a set of .012 42' and 45' for contests using more powerful engines.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 11:28:24 AM »
Do you have a fine needle valve you are using with this balloon?  Or just standard?  I've been thinking of using a bladder on the one I'm repairing for the flyathon, but don't have the fine needle.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 11:56:19 AM »
Do you have a fine needle valve you are using with this balloon?  Or just standard?  I've been thinking of using a bladder on the one I'm repairing for the flyathon, but don't have the fine needle.

You do understand that a balloon and a bladder tank are two different setups.  Bladder has pressure, balloon does not.  It is a stock product engine with he standard Cox needle.  The balloon tank seem to work fine with the Cox needle.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 02:06:45 PM »
No, didn't know that. I thought the balloons were the old bladders.  So, what's the benefit to a balloon over a bladder or tank?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 02:53:21 PM »
No, didn't know that. I thought the balloons were the old bladders.  So, what's the benefit to a balloon over a bladder or tank?

Hey Duke:

Balloon tanks use a party balloon with a small enough fuel load that the walls are not stretched.  The balloon never adds pressure to the fuel, it just holds the fuel in a way that gives you no bubbles.  They pretty much act like tanks, except for the "no bubbles" part.  They work great.  Ask, and I shall post a picture.

Tanks are tanks.  On 1/2-A planes, bubbles can be a real pain in the neck.

Bladders (which I've never used) are run stretched, and pressurize the fuel.  They're great if you've got a big wide-open venturi that can't draw by itself and that you're trying to feed, but they come with their own problems.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 03:28:28 PM »
What Tim said.  I started using balloon tanks on my DO-335 twin.  With two motors churning I got poor runs due to air bubbles.  The balloon tanks fix the problem.  The only problem with balloon tanks is that with time the fuel eats the balloon.  But balloons are cheep and east to replace.   Search balloon tanks on this site. Lots of info out there.  By the way a very popular canister for the balloon is a 35 MM film can.   Getting hard to find.  No one uses film anymore.

y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 03:55:33 PM »
By the way a very popular canister for the balloon is a 35 MM film can.   Getting hard to find.  No one uses film anymore.

I took some clear plastic and rolled it to get an about-right-sized tube.  I'd like to say "it works great", but I haven't flown it yet.

On another plane I made a radial motor mount (for a Wen-Mac) that's big and hollow and has a hole big enough to stuff a balloon tank into.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=12603.0
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 04:40:11 PM »
I kinda knew what balloon tanks were, but thought they worked like the bladders.  But I was wondering what the benefit is. does it work better than a tank?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 04:56:51 PM »
I kinda knew what balloon tanks were, but thought they worked like the bladders.  But I was wondering what the benefit is. does it work better than a tank?

Yes, because tanks give you fuel and bubbles, and a balloon just gives you fuel.  Bubbles are a problem with bigger engines, but not nearly as much as with 1/2-A.
AMA 64232

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 05:58:40 PM »
I wonder how a bladder would work on my Baby Ringmaster without the fine needle?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 06:20:24 PM »
Well she is ready for first flight.  Right now it is windy so it may be a day or two before first flight.  CG came out about right.

John -- nice job, and sorry if I helped pull your thread off into the weeds.

Let us know how it flew -- I've never flown any 1/2-A control line with 3-D wings: I need to get something stuck together.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:11:43 PM by Tim Wescott »
AMA 64232

Jim Roselle

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 07:36:15 PM »
I wonder how a bladder would work on my Baby Ringmaster without the fine needle?
It will flood like crazy. Get a fine thread needle from a "postage stamp" engine and use a filter to step the tubing down to the smallest size at the motor or it will flood.

Jim

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »

The cut down syringe was too small.  I have changed it out for a 35 MM film canister.  I now have a true 1/2 oz tank.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 03:00:32 PM »
I used a small squeeze bottle from the craft store, 50ml size.  The ID is just over an inch while the pressure bladder from Texas Timers is just under an inch when inflated.

While $.79 is a whole lot more than free, it isn't very much at all.

Phil

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2013, 01:16:43 PM »
The cut down syringe was too small.  I have changed it out for a 35 MM film canister.  I now have a true 1/2 oz tank.

I have the first flight behind me.  It flew ok but was light on he lines.  I am working on this.  Engine offset, shorter lines etc. I also will try the pusher prop.  By the way I have now installed a glue stick tube to hold the tank.  It is smaller than he 35mm canister and bigger then then the syringe tub.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2013, 07:25:44 AM »
Hi John,

I really like the Baby! 

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

Well I got in two good flights today.  I made up a set of 35' spectra lines and tried the reverse rotation prop.  It flew great.  Good line tension and really smooth loops.  Can't wait to get the Brodak version with my TD 049 going.  I could really learn to love this 1/2A stuff.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here