News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:15:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Musciano Contest question, please!  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Musciano Contest question, please!
« on: April 28, 2008, 12:15:37 PM »
I don't have the list of acceptable engines (and don't know where to find it! LL~ )  but, is the Testors .049 (later McCoy with the plastic tank) acceptable?

I know it isn't a *POWERHOUSE* (!! ;D ) but it is probably from the '70s, '80s.  Looking to power a TBF or P-47 hollow log with one.  Easy starting, and smooth running.

???

TIA!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Musciano Contest question, please!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 01:48:08 PM »
Good news, the Testors engine is OK to use. Bad news the TBF (if it is the plane that I think it is) is not a Musciano design.
Larry

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 09:25:14 AM »
Good news, the Testors engine is OK to use. Bad news the TBF (if it is the plane that I think it is) is not a Musciano design.
Larry

Hi Larry,

The TBF is one of the Scientific hollow logs.  I just assumed it was one of Walt's. 

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 12:53:12 AM »
It was designed by Paul E. Del Gatto. You must remember that everyone was making hollow log planes. Paul filled in for Walt when he was out of the country or on another project.
Larry

Offline nobler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 10:29:36 AM »
There presently are 70 eligible models. All have the requisite Hollow fuse and solid wing.

Admittedly, there has been some tweaking over the years. As mentioned, the TBF was (I believe) on one of the early eligible lists, but since it was a Del Gatto design, it was dropped. Also, the Bel Air was dropped, because it had a unique hollow airfoil. It was what I call a clamshell, in two pieces. I built one while it still was legal, and use it in Team Race. It would have an unfair advantage in Stunt, due to its fat foil section, when compared to the flat, solid ones.

Also, the Cessna 182 Tricycle was inadvertantly left off of the early lists (when you have so many models, something is bound to get overlooked). It is on the list now, and makes a nice model for Concours.

There is some debate within the NVCL to allow the P-38. It is not on the list as it stands, but if you showed up with one, I think they would allow it (in fact, I recall seeing one at an old meet). The Pro argument is that the canopy and center section  is in 3-D. The Con is that the booms are profile, and profiles are not allowed. I say allow it.

If you really get into it, there are variations on certain models (like three different Little Bipe spans, two rather different Little Mustangs, etc) that are eligible in all forms. And the Blackhawk equivalents of course are eligible with slight differences vs the original Scientifics. Thank goodness these are available, because the old Scientific kits are scarce and unlikely to be built, and not everyone wants to scratch build.

Finally, I have argued that the 26" version of the Spirit of St Louis should be eligible (the 18" version already is). The bigger version is solid wing and Hollow Log. If you have a good Black Widow or Fox 049 and build lightly, it should fly OK. Currell

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 10:26:12 AM »
So where do we get "the list"?  I don't build enough (or fast enough) to waste time on a model that isn't qualified.  I must admit these things are a bit addictive.   n~
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Pinecone

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 12:26:02 PM »
http://www.beseenontheinternet.com/northernvirginiacontrolline/muscianoeligibilitylist.htm

There is a typo, it shuold be the Beech T-34 not the T-24.  I don't know of a T-24. 

I built and flew a T-34 MANY years ago.  I remember the little tiny pilot figures. :)
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Offline nobler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 03:28:06 PM »
Hi Larry. To get the list:

Google Blackhawk Models

Click on Musciano Models at the top

Scroll down. and click on the "Here" for more info on holding a Musciano event

Click on Acceptable Models, at the bottom