News:

• April 27, 2024, 11:26:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Musciano contest legal?  (Read 3950 times)

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
Musciano contest legal?
« on: December 26, 2006, 08:59:22 AM »
I received a copy of Walt's book about scale model, and it has plans and construction details for a 1/2A hollow log F-82 Twin Mustang. The caption for one of the illustrations says that it is the same as the one kitted by Scientific, but that construction varies somewhat. i assume this is because the plan shows a wing with 1/16 sheet skins over1/16th sheet ribs, 3 ribs per wing panel and 3 in the center section.

My question is did the Scientific kit have the usual solid plank wing?  If I build it per the book plans is it still legal for the Musciano contest?

1 last thing, does anyone know where to get the Scientific bubble canopies?

edit: bubble not bibble canopies

Thanks for the replies guys.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 01:14:52 PM by Bill Heher »
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Musciano contest legal?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 10:06:51 AM »
Bill Sawyer listed in the Clasified section has one made for the Scientific kit F-82.
No, the design in the book will not qualify for the standard Musciano contest, it will for the unlimited contest. Yes, the Scientific kit had a solid wing. I have not checked latley but I think that the one in the book is also a little larger.
Larry

Offline Leroy Heikes

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 10:43:17 AM »
Bill;
    You can get bubble canopies for the 1/2a kits like the F82 from Brodak. They are listed in the 1/2a accessories. I bought two for my scratch built P47 Hollow logs. They look great on the little models.

Leroy

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
I have a different question regarding  Musciano contest legal planes.

Scientific sold a number of planes that I personally have interest in. They have built up fuselages and wings. These would be the Zipper, The Sizzlin' Liz mustang and the Red Tiger p-40.
Would these planes be legal? Are there kits available for these?

I also have interest in the Super Cub which had a 28" span built wing. I have no idea about the fuselage construction. Can anyone tell me a bit about this model?

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 12:54:04 PM »
None of these kits are legal for the standard Musciano Contest however there is an Unlimited event that they cound compete in. Black Hawk Models, the current producer of Musciano kits does not make any of the kits that you have listed.
         The Super cub had a build up wing and fuselage and plastic cowling.
Larry

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 07:06:39 PM »
Thanks for the reply Larry.

So... Whats then deal with these particular models? Why are they excluded? Because if the built up fuse? Or were they designed by someone else? If so, who did? This is curious!

Robert

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 08:59:58 PM »
Walt designed thousands of model airplanes over the years. In order to keep the model airplane contest on an even footing all of the models must have carved fuselages and solid wings. In most of the contest the engines ate also limited to those available in the 1950's and 60's. The planes with either build up wings and/or build up fuselages performed better and would not be competive. If you would like a list of kits that are ok to use you will find one on my web site under Musciano kits.
WWW.BLACKHAWKMODELS.COM
Larry

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 10:16:05 PM »
My first successful flying model airplane was a Zig Zag. I loved that plane to death! I cannot tell you how many flights I had on it! I flew it until the LG came loose! keep in mind I had forty coats of Ambroid holding it in place. I flew quite a few flights with the LG. I reglued the LG and fler her some more! I thought about a dual lg so I could do touch N gos inverted! It was a great flyer and tougher than the pavement and concrete curbs it often encountered.

There were however other planes I wish I had bought and the above tops my list.
Blackhawk Models is almost a dream come true to see so many of the Scientific Models brought back to life. I gotta say however that the tail feathers of the Zig Zag are not nearly the same as the one I had. I really believe it was the looks of the verticle fin, rudder that really made me choose it to be my first.

I also salute Blackhawk Models for their efforts to "boost" control line flying for the youth of today.

However I still seek that which I did not have...

Thanks for your input Mr. Rice!

Robert   

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 10:33:13 AM »
The ZigZag has been withdrawn, and is not currently available, for a re-make and will be re-released later this year with the original tail. Thank you for your kind comments.
Larry

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 03:46:55 PM »
Mr. Rice that is great news! I have noticed no anomalies with the other kits offered by Blackhawk Models, with two exceptions. The cowls and decals.  They all look great ( the pics I have seen of the finished models) but the ones that had cowls or decals seem sadly lacking.

I do understand cost issues and I applaud your efforts as they are very commendable.
I have no idea how much cost is involved with decals but I imagine for each model a minimum number must be achieved. I imagine this number to far exceed the manufacture and sales of these beloved kits.

The models IMHO really do deserve their cowls for appearance sake.
 Are there patterns for the cowls supplied for the builder?

Robert

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 06:31:56 PM »
We do, now, supply cowls with most of the kit that require them and the ones that have not been up-dated are awaiting a re-work. The older models, like the Golden Hawk, has a cowl in the kit with landing gear skirts, but they are not in the picture as that requires a lot of time to re-build so many models. Also most kits include patterns, but there several verations for different engines.
         Decals; The decals that Scientific used are protected under a Copyright and can not be used. Minum order is $500 for each kit. We do supply some of the decals now but for the most part the cost it to high.
Larry

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 09:40:58 PM »
Hmm. I had given no thought to a copyright issue for decals. Goes to show you how much I know.

Quote: " Also most kits include patterns, but there several verations for different engines."

This makes sense.

I plan to buy some of those kits in the future. Right now I am rather focused on the four I mentioned in a previous post. I did manage to snag an older kit sans the all important plans. I am not sure of the hardware, pushrod, bellcrank,but the rest of the parts seem to all be there.
It has the wheel pants, main gear and nosegear, cowl, and the decals look pristeen, no yellowing I could tell... The tissue looks ratty but that is probably the least important part of the kit.
The box is a 50s issue I am guessing. Not sure what kit number it might be just yet.

Robert

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 10:35:23 PM »
You can get any plans that you want from Walt Musciano. He sells them for very low prices.
Larry  y1

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 11:01:16 PM »
I doubt I will actually need the plans, but it just wouldn't be the same without them. When I get the kit in hand I will do that!

Thanks!

Robert

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 10:14:34 AM »
I meant that if you wanted plans for any of those three kits that you were looking for, or any of Walt's designs.
Larry

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 04:20:29 PM »
Sorry I misunderstood. Yes that would be great. By the way I failed to mention that I will be glad to be the first in line for the reworked Zig Zag kit when it becomes available.

Robert

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 11:22:42 AM »
Thanks for the reply Larry.

So... Whats then deal with these particular models? Why are they excluded? Because if the built up fuse? Or were they designed by someone else? If so, who did? This is curious!

Robert

The standard "hollow log" contest is limited to airplanes with:

1.  Sheet balsa wings.
2. Carved balsa fuslage.

Obviously, the builtup (ribbed)  wing would fly better and easily beat all the plank-wings.  Thus, everybody would be forced to build one of the few ribbed-wing designs.  The plank-wings can be made to stunt, but it's a challenge, which is the name of the game.
Paul Smith

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 05:50:19 PM »

1.  Sheet balsa wings.
2. Carved balsa fuslage.

I think they also need to have been designed by Walt and kitted by Scientific. There were other "hollow logs" by other companies. I believe the NVCL web site lists all the eligible designs.

There is another class for other designs than hollow logs, but AFAIK, they ALL must have been designed by Walt.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 06:29:21 PM »

1.  Sheet balsa wings.
2. Carved balsa fuslage.

Obviously, the builtup (ribbed)  wing would fly better and easily beat all the plank-wings.  Thus, everybody would be forced to build one of the few ribbed-wing designs.  The plank-wings can be made to stunt, but it's a challenge, which is the name of the game.

I know that I'd seen the rules but I can't remember this. Must the controls be external . I built one for fun with a circular crank ,Lead outs are in the wing and the pushrod goes through and out the fuse. Also I assume that if you used the production engine with a single port there is no rule prohibiting them and a separate internal tank. Is there? I used to do that with my origional Scientifics with Cub'B' motors and others. I don't compete but if I did obviously they have to be legal.
Dennis

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 08:27:20 AM »
Da rules:

http://www.northernvirginiacontrolline.org/

Go to the site and click on "Walter Musciano Events" at the bottom of the list on the left.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Leroy Heikes

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2007, 10:47:54 AM »
Dennis;
    At our Michigan Musciano event if you wanted to go to the trouble of putting the controls inside the wing and fuselage we would most likely allow it. Cox Product engines are also legal.

Leroy

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2007, 04:43:00 AM »
I built one with a "product engine" and a Perfect tank buired in the fuselage. 

It went "OK", but that particulare Product engine was not so hot.  Unfortunately, the "not so hot" Product engine was the best of three I tried.   If I chose to continue on this course, I will need to swap out the front end for a healthy one from another engine.

The Kalamazoo contest was great !!!  Walt himself presiding and donating the awards. 

This particular contest allowed removal of the undercarriage for speed and racing.  This enhanced performance and was needed to land on the wet grass.
Paul Smith

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2007, 06:02:48 AM »
Paul, Those are some nice pictures! Thank you for sharing those!

Robert

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2007, 07:56:45 AM »
All the production engines I have (5) came with loose rod/piston connections, some seriously loose.  Resetting the rod will enhance the performance.  Not to mention preventing self-destruction. the ones I have are all double-bypass cylinders, and all run pretty well.  Not equal to a Black Widow but better than a Babe Bee.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here