News:

• May 07, 2024, 08:11:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Most of us enjoy a challenge but...  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Robert McHam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Most of us enjoy a challenge but...
« on: July 29, 2007, 09:06:51 AM »
I saw this picture and was instantly wowed! Smitten even! Super way cool!

I felt I needed to own this one till I looked closer... the plans and even the parts do not match what I would consider to be the same shapes one should wind up with so that you had something close to what the picture teases you with.

Does this thing look familiar to anyone here?

What I see is a round nose and just behind the engine and above are torpedo shaped bubbles that easily appear to be significantly wider than the firewall. The pictures on the plan and the carved hollow log fuselage are not like that at all. With the parts and pics provided the firewall, fuselage and cowl area looks to be pretty well standard with the exception of no landing gear and a dorsal mounted sub fin for which you need a special launcher which is also supplied.

Anyone here built or know a friend who built one of these?

Let me know what you know or think!

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Most of us enjoy a challenge but...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 09:13:36 AM »
Looks neat now I have to build one where do I get that sheet.

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 09:41:18 AM »
Oh! This thing looks so sweet!~ However even if you had the sheet or even the parts therein you still could not make it look like the picture. In my opinion.
Had I ever seen this one on the shelf at the LHS I would have bought it on sight. I would have been quite disapointed once I had opened the box to find these parts. If you look at the assembly instructions there seems to be no way to wind up with the same plane as the picture depicts.
I will include the box picture to let your mouth water even more.

Robert

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 09:21:03 PM »
I hesitate to mention where tis plane is because it is for sale and my intent for this thread was not to promote the sale but to figure out how one (like myself) could If I had this kit make it turn out like the picture on the box.
It just does not seem possible with the pieces provided.

Of course some sanding would be needed but for the most part the hollow log shaped parts generally only need finishing sanding, not shape sanding hence the term "shaped fuselage and wing".  What I see included in this box and indeed on the building instructions would never make the model on the box top. The torpedo shaped shoulders that to me really set off the whole looks of the plane seem to be sadly missing.

I was thinking to possibly scratch build something to approximate what the box lid art shows.  The areas I am having trouble picturing in my mind are the firewall area which in the forward area seems to be a jet like, sleek cone which blends the spinner into the overall looks. Just behind the firewall, is something quite a bit more complicated if one were to see a cross section. From there rearward the upper half seems clear but underneath the torpedo curve and down to the dorsal fin is quite unclear to me. The build instructions show the sides to be verticle and smooth and the bottom to simply be flat. Nothing like the box art.

Robert

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 09:42:39 PM »
Box art is made to sell kits.  Kit parts are made to save money in the manufacturing process. End of story.  Sad but true, some are more misleading than others. How many stories have we heard about kit manufacturers changing a plane's design to save wood or so the pieces fit in a smaller box?  That's why the only kits my designs will ever show up in, are the ones I make myself.  (Well, also because no-one else ever saw one of mine worthy of kitting!)

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 06:30:01 AM »
Indeed Ray, the box art was made to sell the product.

New insight! the more I look at this thing the more that I believe this CAN be made from the contents.

Why the change of heart? Well, the more I stop and close my eyes to imagine how it was done seems to elude me. and I was thinking that perhaps some long (fuselage length) teardrop shaped balsa blocks sanded to shape would work. Simply added to the existing structure.

After sleeping on it overnight, and looking at the picture again I finally see that what is in the box is all you need. That dorsal fin and the angle of photography and the lighting all work together for this picture.

Gotts get to work now but I hope to see if I can slap one of these things together with some possible changes like landing gear!

Robert 

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 06:38:44 PM »
A little update. The style looked familiar and after I got home from work I dug up the instructions of another old hollow log called Razzle-Dazzle. This, like the Moonliner was designed by Jerry Brofman. I am not really familiar with this name but I hope to remember from now on. From New Zealand ?

Has anyone any info on this great modeler who has brought these two (and who knows how many more) fine designs? I only have the Razzle-Dazzle myself. I wish I also had the plane. The assembly drawings are almost identical to the X-27.

Robert

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 07:44:32 PM »
I am going to try building one. but I think a single wheel in a nice skirt might keep with the style .
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 10:38:57 AM by Bill Smith »

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 08:13:27 PM »
Bill, thanks for your interest in this model, or rather the image of this model.

When we were young and just getting started in flying model planes we were not interested so much in performance or whether the plane would do the complete stunt pattern (although those words on a box seemed to mean a lot even if you did not know what the complete stunt pattern consisted of). It was how cool the plane looked in presentation. Whether it was a scale type model of a warbird that you always liked or a civilian plane like one your dad had or just one you had seen or flown in. Sometimes it might be something radically designed or futuristic in nature.
These were the things that drew us to these inexpensive models and made us choose the ones we did buy.

I know that, had I seen one of these on the shelf when I bought my first flying model kit, it would have went home with me in a heartbeat!!!
I love the retro-futuristic styling of this and since my last post I have given a lot of thought to similar designs that even though they may not be champions in the flying circle, would indeed be a head turner on the flight line and in the air. I have been thinking of twin rocket tubes, one on either side of a fuselage, Airliner styles and fighter style types. I have a few sketches and dozens of ideas!

I realize these may not fit the mainstream of interest but I do know there are a few out there who love sci-fi and a bit of imagination. The Tie fighters and Naboo fighters have already been tried. Those were based on images of craft not to fly in the air as we know planes do. However a spaceship designed around the parameters of real airplanes such as the X-27 was done is the answer.

I say to all who read this thread to give it a shot yourself! Try to make one that looks close to the X-27 or if the imagination strikes you something different!

Robert   

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 09:59:39 PM »
Well friends, there has been a new development regarding the Moon Liner...

For all the negative comments I have made about the kit, these comments have been made only from trying to examine the contents from some pics. I would so love to examine the kit up close and in person. This it seems will become a reality in the near future.

One thing has not changed from the beginning... I just love the box art!!!

Robert

Offline Scott Hartford

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 02:23:36 PM »
I have that same kit in real nice shape if you are interested....... 8)

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 04:57:41 PM »
Thanks Scott for your interest. The one shown in the pic of my last post is on its way here even as we speak. May be some of the others who have read this thread may have some interest.

Have you built one before or know of anyone who has?

Robert

Advertise Here
Tags: hollow log 

Advertise Here