News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:01:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: modernizing the Little Tomahawk  (Read 799 times)

Offline kenneth cook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
modernizing the Little Tomahawk
« on: January 15, 2010, 05:33:42 PM »
         I built my Little Tomahawk in 1983. This plane has outlived every 1/2 a plane I've built to date. This plane has undergone many rebuilds through the years but none of them so bad that it was a loss. The only downside to all this is that its gained some weight over the course of years. Those that are familiar with this plane are very familiar of its positive flying qualities. This plane was designed around a Cox reed engine. I can't seem to locate the original instructions, but it was unfortunate that they were not full size prints. At the time, I generally found it easier and more suitable to use the tank backed Cox engines. I never seemed to get good runs with any of the engines I was using at the time. I wish I knew then what I know now. One day after it quit overhead it made its way down into the asphalt. This was the worst crash the plane had ever suffered in which I had to do some extensive wing repair. In the course of this I installed a tank compartment eliminating one of the rib bays and allowing the feed pipe to exit through the leading edge. At this point I tried using a Tee Dee with unfortunate success. I tried this combination over and over but never could get the engine to run the way I thought it should. I scrapped that idea and the plane sat for several years. Whenever I choose to use a beam mount combination I prefer the Dave Brown mounts. I figured at this point why not try using one of the Norvel Big Migs I had on sitting on the shelf. The bolt pattern on the Dave Brown mounts are alike and this made for a simple swap. I tried it today and was very  impressed. I also tried a prop in which I found never worked for me on the Cox engines which was the APC 5.5x2.5. The engine ran great just using 10% Powermaster and 40' lines. I need to lengthen the lines as it seemed it could use a bit more. It just seemed that everything was just right. I lost a wheel in flight which made for a nice cartwheel landing. I had fairly good fuel feed issues throughout the flight in which wasn't so good with the Tee Dee. The Tee Dee ran away from the fuel constantly. I capped one vent for the Norvel flights. The only downside to the engine swap was its location within the mount. I had it installed fairly tight to the back in which it wouldn't allow for the muffler to be installed on the plane. Today was a fairly nice day in the 40 deg temps so I'll be looking forward to the spring for this one. Ken

Advertise Here

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?
Tags:

Advertise Here