News:

• May 09, 2024, 12:26:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Miss Ashlee Kit  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Miss Ashlee Kit
« on: August 17, 2007, 11:25:01 AM »
I'm looking to build and fly a 1/2A kit for fun when my regular .40 field is not available.
Due to cost constraints, I'd like some opinions on using the latest new version of the OK Cub .049 (OK.49R) engine on this plane.
I would like to be able to do basic stunts, loops, wingovers, fly inverted, horizontal 8's.
I understand the Miss Ashlee is a 1/2A version of the Oriental, is that correct?
Is the Cub the "little engine that could"?
Jerry Bohn

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Miss Ashley Kit
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 11:28:40 AM »
Hi Jerry,

I know the "Pinto" is a 1/2A version of the Oriental.  Not so sure about the Miss Ashely.

The Pinto is a full fledged 1/2A stunter.  The originals were powered by Cox Medallion .049s, IIRC.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
Re: Miss Ashlee Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 12:50:23 PM »
Bill, Thanks for the info. Perhaps the Pinto would be a better choice.
They say the new OK Cub .049 has the same power as the .049 Cox Black Widow. Don't really know much about 1/2A engines. Do you think the Black Widow would have pulled the Pinto around good enough to do light stunting?
In looking at both the Pinto and Miss Ashlee on the RSM site, they appear to both be fashioned after the Oriental, only Miss Ashlee is a profile and has no flaps.
Noticed Pinto was designed by Dee Rice. Probably a real 1/2A Oriental.
I'm try to keep it simple and cost effective.
Watcha think?
Jerry Bohn

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 01:25:16 PM »
just my .02 but I'd go with a .061 Norvel or AP Wasp.  Tons more power than you'll get out of that .049 Cub.  I've got a wasp on a self designed 34" wingspan plane that will run 3.5 sec laps on 35' lines and run the whole pattern with a 6X2 APC prop.  The wasp's are pretty cheap too, think I gave $40 for mine.

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 09:57:23 PM »
John, Tower has a R/C Wasp, where do you get C/L Wasps?
Jerry Bohn

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 11:09:19 PM »
I say get them both! The Pinto is nearly a double for the oriental with full fuse and flaps while the Ashlee is a smaller, simpler (and less expensive) profile thaty favors the Oriental.
The Pinto, being larger and having more drag (do your level best to keep it as light as possible when building) would do much better with the Norvel or the Wasp (only available in R/C version).
The Ashlee should do just fine with the Cub. Still you want to do your best to keep it light for best performance! http://www.rsmdistribution.com/kits/kit-miss-ashlee.htm

Here you can get a great price on both kits!:
http://www.northcoasthobby.com/page3.html

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 05:23:37 AM »
mines an RC, I just locked the throttle open with a piece of .008 wire from an old kinked set of lines.  Looped in through the throttle linkage and tied it off to a screw on the motor mount.  FYI I like this engine better than my .049 Norvel, I find it easier to start and less tempermental in flight, but others may have different opininons.

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 06:23:01 AM »
Great suggestions men, thats just what I needed to know and hear about.
I'll check out North Coast Hobby. We have a new mom and pop hobby shop in town (Eagle Hobbies). They are a bit more C/L and service friendly.
Iv'e got stuff from Eric at RSM, good place but a new source is always welcome
We have a good Hobby Town who could get the Wasp and Cub but won't deal with RSM.
Jerry Bohn

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 11:55:27 AM »
John,
          The OK engine would do well on our "Stunt Trainer" model kit. Check it out on www.blackhawkmodels.com under Musciano models.
Good Luck
Larry

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 12:50:25 PM »
Larry, That looks like what I have in mind, ya got the kit and engine. Let me get the bucks together and do some busniss soon when the cash is avaliable.
Jerry
Jerry Bohn

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 02:10:41 PM »
Jerry,
          For the best price and fastest service always check our Authorized dealers first. I am glad that we could be of some assistance.
Larry
Black Hawk Models

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 10:46:35 AM »
The Cub, sadly does NOT have the power of even a Golden Bee, let alone the Black Widow.  Unless you do some hop-up work and run high Nitro fuel.  Then it will sing a very different song.  They are a very low compression engine, so they require a hot plug and high nitro to really run well.  In addition they usually need complete disassembly to get rid of burrs and other obstructions in the airflow.  Improved balance and a replacement needle valve assembly are a boon also.

Get a Black Widow at a garage sale or e-Bay.  Much easier.

The Miss Ashlee was designed for Black Widow power, I wouldn't expect it to have acceptable vertical performance with a Cub, except on very short (25' or less) lines.  With the BW, you should be able to go to 35' or possibly 45' lines.

The Pinto, and its restyling version Hunter Stunter fly superbly on .061 engines and 50' .008 lines.

I too am sold on the AP Wasp, and use a paper clip to hold the throttle open.  APC 6x2 props are an excellent match to this engine.  For more speed, try the 5.7x3 (new version)
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 01:34:55 PM »
Larry,
          The "Cub" which was the .049A engine is no longer being made. The OK engine in question is the NEW .049R (Reed Valve) engine. Have you checked one of these out yet?
Larry

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 06:37:59 PM »
According to Dee Rice, designer of the Oriental, the Pinto is a 1/2A Oriental designed by Dee Rice. 

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 10:13:17 PM »
That is what I heard.  Dick Mathis "borrowed" the prototype and published it as his own design.  That is the story I heard.  It would be interesting to know the truth!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 10:04:15 AM by Larry Renger »
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 11:52:52 AM »
According to Dee, he gave Dick Mathis the plans.  Dee told me this directly. 

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 01:18:43 PM »
Larry, I sent off the money order yesterday  to you for a "Stunt Trainer".
I'm giving my LHS a chance to get me a OK .049R, he is checking to see if he can order it. If he can't order it from OK Engines, I'll order from J&J Hobbies. Trying to keep supporting Mom & Pop shops, but no one had Stunt trainer in stock. Need plane before engine.
May do Pinto next, but need beam mounted .049, a bit costly compared to OK's.
I just finished and am flying a Oriental profile. Am 3/4 done with full body Oriental. Second time around with full body Oriental, love that design, flys well for my style.
Jerry Bohn

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 02:12:25 PM »
You can get the engine through Sam's stuff and hobbies. Tell your local dealers that they can carry Black Hawk Models too, just give me a call.
Larry

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 06:07:49 PM »
Larry, Will do.
Jerry Bohn

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here